Serie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hello,

I decided to do a 1 yr MPH program( starting classes next semester) and will plan on apply to med schools the next cycle. I just wanted to know if med schools look at graduate education as intently as undergrad. Thanks alot!

loveoforganic

-Account Deactivated-
10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2009
Status
Much less so. UGPA is significantly more important than GGPA, although you're still expected to maintain a good GGPA. In other words, if you have a bad UGPA, a good GGPA won't help much. If you have a good UGPA, you're still expected to have a good GGPA.

Nov 25, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't know much about Graduate GPA, but I do know that about 90% of the people who get a Masters in Medical Science get accepted into med school.

http://www.luc.edu/biology/ma.shtml

So regardless of your GPA, I'm sure you are only increasing your chances of acceptance!

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I don't know much about Graduate GPA, but I do know that about 90% of the people who get a Masters in Medical Science get accepted into med school.

So regardless of your GPA, I'm sure you are only increasing your chances of acceptance!
Sounds like a strong program, though I wouldn't generalize.

kami333

10+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2007
Status
Medical Student

Loyola's Medical Science Masters is an almost SMP, very heavy in science, not comparable to a typical MPH program.

libraryismyhome

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
7+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Is there really an one year long MPH program? :eek: I looked everywhere and all of them were two. Could you name your school for me?

GlamDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Is there really an one year long MPH program? :eek: I looked everywhere and all of them were two. Could you name your school for me?
Same here. I couldn't find very many 1-year MPH programs around. Dartmouth has one, I believe.

loveoforganic

-Account Deactivated-
10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2009
Status
Don't think this is exactly what you're looking for, but Tulane's MPH is actually integrated into the 4 year med school curriculum.

WeAreNotRobots

doctor of medicine
10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2008
u.s.a.
Status
Resident [Any Field]

in order to apply to this program, they ask you to submit your AMCAS and letters to them. maybe the program just selects students that tend to be better applicants to begin with.

Kuuaku

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Same here. I couldn't find very many 1-year MPH programs around. Dartmouth has one, I believe.

I also applied only to places where I could get my MPH in 1 year (ie, 1 calendar year) during med school app year-

Tulane University-(I chose this one)
Dartmouth
Thomas Jefferson University
Florida International University
Des Moines University

I double and tripled checked with the program coordinators that I could finish in 1 year and was reassured, but things may have changed. I started the MPH in June, and finished 2 weeks after spring semester (May) so about 1 year total. Hope this helps!