deciding b/ween AZCOM and MSUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JA14R

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After analyzing the two schools, I am still torn on which one to go to. MSUCOM seems to have a very structured program, including set rotations. If I go to MSUCOM I know that I will be doing a rotation in one of their affiliated hospitals, which are listed on the website. The first two years at AZCOM are set, but it is not as clear as to where I would be doing the rotations, Preceptor vs Hospital, in Arizona or another state? AZCOM seems to give more variability and flexibility with the rotations. But is a more structured rotation system more effective?
I am also from California, so AZCOM is a lot closer to home. Going to school in AZ might somehow benefit me in finding a residency and/or job in California. Right?

I liked both schools… the reason why I am torn between them. The two univ are so different in size, location, state vs. private.....
Being a large univ, MSUCOM has many opportunities: intramural sports and such...

Do any students or alums have any thoughts on my dilemma?

Members don't see this ad.

JA14R said:
After analyzing the two schools, I am still torn on which one to go to. MSUCOM seems to have a very structured program, including set rotations. If I go to MSUCOM I know that I will be doing a rotation in one of their affiliated hospitals, which are listed on the website. The first two years at AZCOM are set, but it is not as clear as to where I would be doing the rotations, Preceptor vs Hospital, in Arizona or another state? AZCOM seems to give more variability and flexibility with the rotations. But is a more structured rotation system more effective?
I am also from California, so AZCOM is a lot closer to home. Going to school in AZ might somehow benefit me in finding a residency and/or job in California. Right?

I liked both schools… the reason why I am torn between them. The two univ are so different in size, location, state vs. private.....
Being a large univ, MSUCOM has many opportunities: intramural sports and such...

Let me first say that I know nothing of MSUCOM, other than that is a fine school.

As far as AZCOM goes, I'll address some of your questions:

1. The first two years at AZCOM are outstanding. Our board scores prove that. Of course, rotations are definately much more important to your overall education, so it's a wise move on your part to consider the 3rd and 4th year education...

2. AZCOM's clinical years are, if nothing else, flexible. You'll definately have the opportunity to do either preceptor or hospital based rotations (even in CA if you wish). The big knock on AZCOM has been the relative difficulty in ward based (i.e. residency based) rotations here in Phoenix. In the past it was very difficult and frustrating. However the situation seems to be improving (to the point that I'm a bit jealous of the class under mine :) ). So far as I know, the current programs have some sort of an agreement with AZCOM for 3rd year students:

IM:
Maricopa County
VA
U of A (Tucson)

Surgery:
Maricopa
Good Sam
U of A (Tucson)

Peds:
Phoenix Children's (this is new I think, not available for my class)

Psych:
Maricopa

Family:
Phoenix Baptist (not sure on this one)
John C Lincoln
St. Joe's (not sure about this one yet)

OB/GYN:
None that I know of.

Keep in mind that this is off the top of my head where I've had friends rotate, I do not claim to have any definative info. Also keep in mind that you can pretty much go wherever you want in 4th year.

So is AZCOM the place to go if you absolutely had to have all ward based rotations in Phoenix. Probabaly not. But the situation seems to be improving somewhat. However, the flexibility of the program has worked out well for me, although I admit it can seem a little unsettling at times. In any case, you'll likely get a good education, and you'll have as good a chance as any DO students in the country to match where you want.

3. As far as intramurals goes, AZCOM does have a very active program, with activities year round.

4. Downsides to AZCOM? Cost and the rumored increase in class size (supposedly to 250?).

In the end, AZCOM was the best choice for my family (wife, 2 kids), and it's been a good school with some minor kinks academically. The good news is that the new DO school in Mesa is also adding some pressur eto make things better. Good luck deciding, you have a great problem deciding between two good schools. If it were me, cost would be a major factor in my decision.

Since you are out of state..i would recommend AZCOM...MSUCOM's OOS tuition is like 50K ...isnt it? I think both schools will give you a good education..you just have to factor in the costs and the location..I wouldnt worry about AZCOM's clinical affiliation...they are known for producing strong students.

Members don't see this ad :)
JA14R said:

This isn't an answer but a question out of curiosity. Did you apply to the two CA D.O. schools?

Everyone has different criteria for choosing the right school for them.

And MSU and AZCOM are very good schools with some similar and different strengths.

I was accepted into both, and I ultimately chose AZCOM, and I'm perfectly happy with my choice. Good luck to you.

I'm graduating from AZCOM this year and here's my input. The first two years at AZCOM are superb. They prepare you very well for the boards and provide a excellent fund of knowledge for the clinical years. Almost everyone I know rocked the COMLEX and performed very well on the USMLE for those of us who took it.
The clinical years, however, leave something to be desired. AZCOM has no hospital affiliations and recently turned down an opportunity with Maricopa County Hospital. They'll set up all of your rotations, most of which will be with a community physician who doesn't receive any compensation or training for taking medical students. Plus, there are going to be at least two more medical schools in the valley in the next few years to compete for few training spots available at the hospitals. If I had to do it over again I would come to AZCOM but arrange my own third and fourth year rotations at teaching hopsitals.
There's my two bits