This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LadyDetroit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am a Sophomore in College and I have to declare my major soon. So far I have just been doing the pre-requistes for med school and now I have to decide what I want to major in. I am deciding between Health Science and Economics. What do you think? What would yo chose and why ?

Much Appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Pick whatever major interests you the most OP.
Since you're going to be doing pre-med requisites anyway, you might as well do the major you enjoy more.
It doesn't matter too much which major you pick, as long as you do well in those classes!

Hi there,

I am a Sophomore in College and I have to declare my major soon. So far I have just been doing the pre-requistes for med school and now I have to decide what I want to major in. I am deciding between Health Science and Economics. What do you think? What would yo chose and why ?

Much Appreciated
Agreed with @pinkbows39 . Don't feel pressured to major in a health field because you want to be a doctor. It really doesn't validate anything once you're applying to med schools. Excel in what you enjoy learning, find connections between that and your future career in medicine, and I'm sure this will give you an edge once med school interviews come around.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Choose the major you have the most interest in. The most important thing is to maintain an excellent GPA, and it will be easier to do that if your major is something you're interested in. It should also ideally be something you wouldn't mind doing as a back up in case medical school doesn't work out (yeah, yeah, I know--never give up, never surrender). I chose to major in math, because if for some reason I cannot get into medical school or PA school (my back up), I would be happy either teaching high school math or pursuing a PhD.

Thanks so much for all the replies! I was just just confused cause I really wasn't sure if it would really matter if I chose something science related. Like exactly what if I end up not going to Med school! And just so you know I actually do like Health Science and Economics. Maybe I will see if I can minor in one of them!

Anthropology.

This has been discussed numerous times ad nauseoum. Pick what you enjoy doing and what you can see yourself doing long term if med school doesn't pan out. For example, I was a comm major. And I work in healthcare. Not a physician. Yet. Might I suggest utilizing this button?

If I had known better when I was younger and had a decent advisor, I would have majored in English. It is my favorite subject and I would only have had to take the pre-req's and not all the other classes I didn't really care for.

Thank you everyone who answered! Ir really appreciated all the information you gave me.

I do have another question, so just a little background I do go to BU and I was wondering do med school really frown upon taking Organic chemistry in the summer and is it generally okay to take Orgo I before taking Biochem, because I was under the impression that Orgo I was enough to have before taking Biochem.

Once again thank you so much!