Deciding to go to Med School NOW

Started by daveirias
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

daveirias

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all. Long story short, after many years of being out of school, I've decided to try and get into med school.
I graduated from a very prestigious college (Bowdoin College) back in 2013. I've been bumbling around ever since, but I've set my goals on going to med school.

Now, I don't have most prerequisites, as I was a History major.. My question is, how would it look if I completed all these prerequisites from a community college.

1. I went to an elite private college
2. my GPA was abysmal
3. theoretically I ace all my courses in community college

Would med schools even give my application a glance?
 
To be honest, most medical schools won't like that. If money is an issue, I would probably take Biology, Chemistry, and Physics at your community college. Then take Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry at a University.
 
Would med schools even give my application a glance?

Depends entirely on several factors.
  • What is your undergrad cGPA and sGPA
  • Do you have the requisite ECs like clinical volunteering, non-clinical volunteering, leadership positions, physician shadowing, etc
  • How well you do on the MCAT
  • How well you show Adcoms your story of who you are and why you decide to do medicine now
As a non-trad pre-med, taking prereq courses at a CC is ok.
 
Hi all. Long story short, after many years of being out of school, I've decided to try and get into med school.
I graduated from a very prestigious college (Bowdoin College) back in 2013. I've been bumbling around ever since, but I've set my goals on going to med school.

Now, I don't have most prerequisites, as I was a History major.. My question is, how would it look if I completed all these prerequisites from a community college.

1. I went to an elite private college
2. my GPA was abysmal
3. theoretically I ace all my courses in community college

Would med schools even give my application a glance?
Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention