Quantcast

Decision Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nmpatel

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hey Everyone,
I am looking for a bit of advice in determining where I will be accepting entrance for the fall. I have been accepted to both the MHSA program at George Washington University and the Health Policy and Management Program at Emory.

I would like to eventually work in Hospital Administration and am wondering based on your experiences and knowledge which program do you think will best prepare me for such a career. I have done some research and I do prefer the structure of GW's program as it seems to have a more concrete focus, but Emory according to the various rankings has a better program.

When considering rates of job placement and name recognition which has a better program?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Caolainn

Reaction score
Both are great schools and you could do well at either schools. Keep in mind that ratings mean very little. So if you prefer GWU then that's where you should go.

jk1127

Reaction score
Hey.

I am actually debating the very same issue at the moment.

I'm in Maternal Child Health concentration for GWU, but BSHE for Emory.
I was personally more impressed with Emory's orientations and their career services, but I did prefer GWU's concentration focus within my department better.

The ranking for Emory does get to me, but my only concern for Emory is that whether or not I will continue to work at CDC after graduation since CDC tends to hire their students who have previously worked there. (I would prefer to work in DC after graduation)

The times winding down...and i'm still stuck with my indecisiveness...
good luck to you!

MPHNut

Reaction score
Man, Visit Emory was a fantastic sales pitch, right? Their career services talk and the CDC being RIGHT THERE really make it hard to say no to Emory...

But, the CDC is not there to service Emory - if you really want to work there but can shine better at another school - I'm sure the CDC can appreciate that. At least that what I told myself.

As for deciding between MCH and BSHE - that should probably be decision number one. Then deciding on a school would be easier.

marcellabella21

Reaction score
Im still an undergrad so I dont know how much you'll value my commentary but I think the city choice of the school is super important. thats why GWU seems really great. I think its important to rely on a location that thrives on all the opportunities given...I know Emory gives amazing opportunities too but still Washington D.C. is just such a great location to network in!

JMM051

Reaction score
I disagree with Marcella...

Yes, a city is going to come into play when choosing a school but I wouldn't rate it as "super important." If you are attending a high caliber school then the connections are going to be there whether you are in an amazing city or not. Take Yale for example. New Haven isn't the greatest place on earth but the connections/networking there can take you far.

Both schools are great and as someone said you really can't go wrong with either. Obviously if you are in DC there are ways to get involved with policy year round. Emory has opportunities too but they'll be different. That said, Emory has strong ties in DC and a trip they went on two months ago had them meeting the surgeon general and Nancy Pelosi, not too shabby :thumbup:

If you can even get to one school to visit it would be helpful, if you can't I would go with your gut as you're really not going to be wrong either way.

shwoopee

Reaction score
Both are great schools, and I know what you're going through. I was at the same point deciding between Hopkins and Columbia a couple of weeks ago.

I would say location is important, but what's even more important is what you'll get out of the program. Look at the course offerings -- are there electives you'd be interested in taking? The faculty there and their research interests are also key to look at -- if there is at least one faculty member with the same interests as you, you have a potential mentor! In addition to that, look at where students have interned and where they are working.

I ended up choosing Hopkins because the program (MHS in Health Ed and Health Comm) had much stronger health communication connections --exactly what I wanted.

Good luck with your decision! Both are quality schools. Like one of my mentors said to me while I was struggling with my decision, you can't go wrong because there really isn't a "right" decision.

nmpatel

Reaction score
Thank everyone for your input its actually helping with my anxiety over making the "right choice." I'll keep you posted on my decision.