Decision to Make: Buffalo vs. UPenn vs. Case vs. Nova??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trident007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Was wondering if anyone could help me out on which school to pick.. I've narrowed it down to these four schools but I would like to hear other people's opinions on these schools.

FYI I'd love to hear other reasons than tuition and weather as I'm looking to hear people's opinions on the actual schools themselves.

Thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nova, I hear the classes are structured very well and how can you beat new equipment to work with! Case is PBL so that sounds pretty horrible.

Nova, I hear the classes are structured very well and how can you beat new equipment to work with! Case is PBL so that sounds pretty horrible.

I disagree, Andrew. As you have read, on SDN, Nova has chair issues. They are in the process of hopefully fixing it, but only time will tell. New equipment wont do much. :DCase has a good in flux of patients, PBL is only for the first year, and it also has been established for a great deal of time, unlike Nova. Nevertheless, you cannot go wrong, UB has some cheap tuition, btw.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are trying to figure out the chair system. It was crazy before they went to their new system. Campouts. It's a pain, but I hope to graduate on time... Dont want to pay a 5th year of tuition!

But honestly, go to whatever you feel like. I enjoy Nova, Ft Lauderdale, classmates, but if I could do it somewhere cheap, I would...

If you don't mind the weather, go to Buffalo!! Cheap housing, cheap tuition.

Buffalo has very good tuition and is generally well regarded on SDN. There seems to be a lot of good things about their clinic, like getting your own chair and managing your own set of patients throughout your education.

Need to decide in the next few days... bump!

Oh Wait, I totally missed Upenn on your list, sorry about that. Upenn for sure

UPenn if you want to specialize, for sure. Case has pretty old facilities. They are still using standard film radiography, with no real plans to switch to digital any time soon. Other than that it is a good school. Nova has the problem scheduling chairs, which they say they are working on, but we all know how quickly major renovations are completed at universities. I don't know anything about Buffalo. I'd say Penn, just for the future opportunities that school has to offer.

UPenn in a heartbeat, I didn't see that.

Hahah.. you aren't going blind, I actually just got the letter from UPenn last night after I had created the thread so I added it to the post.

I appreciate the feedback so far, thanks!! :)

i cant speak for nova, but if you are getting a scholarship to upenn id go there over case and buffalo.

the city of buffalo is on the downslide, it may have been the most boring big city ive ever been to. I was looking for a cool place to eat (that buffalo wing place) but all i saw were franchise restaurants (applebees, psh). I did not see a whole bunch of patients there either durning my interview, clinic was depressing without anyone there. cool library though, haha

case has a unique curriculum, i believe its the 2nd or 3rd year of PBL and last i heard, students did pretty well on the boards. so if you like more discussion learning over lectures, then youll probably love it. The pre-clinic was pretty bad-ass; they have the dentsims and all that jazz so your money will be going to decent training. Unfortunately, I did not see a lot of the clinical aspect of the school... if i saw any at all? I dont remember, my interview was months ago

i havent been to upenn but i am assuming it is a great research school and located in the nicer part of phili. Temple was appealing to me until i spent the day in the area.. so depressing. Being in phili, im sure there are a ton of clinical training too-- the admissions guy from temple said temple gets more, but upenn is good for the research

my 2 cents, good luck with your decision