Decisions decisions!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kramer2k

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that i have your attention, here's my story....

I recently started the M.S. program in applied physiology at Finch/CMS. And the deal with this program is that as long as you maintain above a 3.0, they will 'seriously consider' you for admission to the med school next year. (It's no guarantee they say, but just stay above a three and you're good)

I was on the waiting lists at 2 schools. (Creighton and MCW). Creighton has already started, so they're out...but I just found out from MCW today that they are going to defer me for a year.
a.k.a. They've guarenteed me a spot in the 2003 class, but if I accept, I have to go there and I can't apply to any other schools.

My mind is going in a million different directions here, so i thought I would see what you all think about it.

Questions to consider...
1) Should I accept deferment from MCW
2) Should I stay in M.S. Program at Finch/CMS now that I am in for next year.
3) Should I just apply normally to MCW as well as other schools.

Phew..well, hope that is enough to chew on...thanks for the input...

P.S. MCW has to know by Aug 19th (Monday)...So reply quickly!

Thanks

K

Edit - Tell Dr. Will he's a weiner...(it's ok, I'm in the M.S. Program with him at Finch)

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by kramer2k

Edit - Tell Dr. Will he's a weiner...(it's ok, I'm in the M.S. Program with him at Finch)

In that case...get your a$$ out of here ;)

Hands down go for MCW for it is a "for sure deal" Finch is not guaranteed correct? and if you apply next year there is also no guarantee you will get in. So what is there to think about? you get to chill for a year, heck you could still do what you are doing right? and then next year go to MCW...

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmm i think you should go ahead and take the deferment at mcw. take a year off and maybe find a job so you can make a little cash to pay for med school. also its guaranteed at mcw, with finch its not a guarantee (though im sure you will get higher than a 3.0). also you could save the money you are paying to finch.
good luck.

A bird in hand is better than two in the bush.

Blues

I don't know how the programs compare, but all things being equal, I'd forget about filling the coffers at Finch and take the guranteed spot at MCW.

take the deferment from MCW....now go enjoy your year of stress-free play time :clap:

Take MCW for sure! Finch is like 35k for that AP program and there's no 100% guarantee. If you go to Finch you have to work your butt off and still not be guaranteed a spot and you'd be wasting a year anyway. Plus MCW's rep is much better than Finch's.

In my opinion....I would get out of Finch!!! I would definitely accept the offer at MCOW and just hang. If you can move out of North Chicago I would recommend getting a low-key research job at MCOW to kill the time and make some cash. Or, be a bartender in some bar...just chill. The tuition is not worth it at Finch for the chance of an acceptance. If you tuition is non-refundable, then I would make a great effort to do well in them as they will give you a leg-up when you are at MCOW.

I hope to be at MCOW next year so go there and we can be classmates.

Cheers,
WISC-ite

Take the spot at MCW! Wisconsin would love to have you! Good luck!

OK, I totally agree with ya'all that taking MCW's deferment is probably a really good idea....But (you knew it was coming):

if your MCAT and GPA are really stellar now, and you'd prefer to go to another school if you can get in, then I'd say screw MCW, apply elsewhere (I'd bet if you re-applied to MCW with higher stats than before they'd let you in again, but I'd call and ask), and hope for the best. On the other hand, if you're happy with MCW, take a year off to have some fun! If you must be productive, move to Milewalke and see if you could start some research at MCW (if research is your bag).

That's strange...I've never heard of a med school "deferring" somebody for a year. Is the deferment conditional upon you doing the Finch MS program and doing reasonably well?

Originally posted by Adcadet
OK, I totally agree with ya'all that taking MCW's deferment is probably a really good idea....But (you knew it was coming):

if your MCAT and GPA are really stellar now, and you'd prefer to go to another school if you can get in, then I'd say screw MCW, apply elsewhere (I'd bet if you re-applied to MCW with higher stats than before they'd let you in again, but I'd call and ask), and hope for the best. On the other hand, if you're happy with MCW, take a year off to have some fun! If you must be productive, move to Milewalke and see if you could start some research at MCW (if research is your bag).

That's strange...I've never heard of a med school "deferring" somebody for a year. Is the deferment conditional upon you doing the Finch MS program and doing reasonably well?

If this guy's MCAT and GPA are really stellar, I don't think he would be in the AP program at Finch right now.

first and foremost..

:clap: Congrats! You got accepted to med school! :clap:

Unless you absolutely despised the school (and even then, opinions can change) this is a great opportunity. Instead of spending 35K + 2-4K on applying, you can MAKE money doing some job you've always wanted to do for a year [waiter, lead tours in the mountains, construction] that you'll never have time to do again.

Also, post this in the Still Waiting thread... those people need all positive reinforcement you can provide :)

Congratulations....

If you think you will be happy at MCW, you have nothing to think about. I think everyone has brought up important issues. You will not have to reapply, ergo you wont have to restart the application process and waste loads of money. Also, you wont have to finish Finch if you don't want to and can save money once again. I think I will go with the mainstream consensus here and tell you to chill or get a job for the year....

Once again....you are on your surefire way to becoming a doctor.

kramer2k:

I guess I did not understand you. Were you offered accpetance for 2002 and decided to defer? Or you were offered a deffered acceptance for 2003 straight?

Originally posted by moo

If this guy's MCAT and GPA are really stellar, I don't think he would be in the AP program at Finch right now.

:laugh: don't generalize people based on dr will ;)

Originally posted by Bikini Princess

:laugh: don't generalize people based on dr will ;)

Oh what? You want a piece now bikini ;)

Hands down, MCW. Just chill and relax for a year you are in!!!

Hey, thanks for the info everyone...but I am a little irked about the comment that MOO made about the non-stellarness of my grades and GPA.....

I mean, what defines stellar in the first place? 4.0 and MCAT of 40..WRONG! Because with the scores that I had, I was able to get 4 interviews and waitlists at 2 schools, one being out of state. And the main reason I got waitlisted was because I applied late...SO APPLY EARLY!!!!!

And for those of you who think you need low 30s and up to get into med school are dead wrong.

but for those who are interested...

Undergrad GPA - 3.69 (Science 3.8, others 3.4) Graduated Cum Laude (0.01 away from graduating Magna Cum Laude)

MCAT - Not the greatest because well, I'm an awful standardized test taker.... 8,9,10,Q

And I've deciced to Accept the offer from MCW, AND stay in the AP program at Finch to get my M.S. degree too (the 35K is going to be water under the bridge anywho)...just to distinguish myself a little.

K

Good for you and congrats! I would also have stayed in the Finch program why not? heck what is 35K compared to the rest of the debt you will accumulate? just joking...but I would have done the same thing!