Decisions, Decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ts1370

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

First post... And I hope I can get as much input back as possible.

Right now, I'm in a bind. I am interviewing in April or May for pre-acceptance into an MD program. While I am psyched to have the opportunity to worry less about my MCAT and other necessities for application (ECs, LORs, etc.), I have a feeling that I may be selling myself short.

Here are my stats (I attend a small, private, liberal arts school in the Midwest):
3.98 GPA
Majors: Biology and Chemistry
Minors: Business Administration and Global Studies
200+ shadowing hours
200+ dedicated volunteer hours + approx. 100 hours in small/separate projects
Camp counselor for the betterment of children with terminal diseases
3 years of student government
2 offices held in my fraternity (social, exchange)
3 years of research (with 1 publication and 2 more to come before June, as well as 2 national poster presentations)
2 years of student orientation leading
Padding: honor societies, dean's list every semester, various awards pertaining to academics

I am hoping to score mid-to-high 30s on the MCAT, which I am taking in May. If I were to attain a score in that range, should I go a traditional route and apply through AMCAS?

I've heard arguments that comparing allopathic schools is a waste of time because board scores are more important. What are the advantages and disadvantages of opting out of pre-acceptance?

TS

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you do get an MCAT score in the mid 30's, I'd go ahead and do a traditional application cycle. You would have a solid application, with a very good chance of getting in somewhere.

People say that it's pointless to compare schools based on rank. That's mostly true, but you don't want to ignore other factors, such as location, curriculum format, facilities, and overall fit. If your pre-acceptance school would satisfy you in all those categories then maybe it's worth it, but I don't think you want to discount the advantage of seeing different schools in different places.

Personal decision is personal.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get the preacceptance, you'll miss out on a year of practicing your stress-management skills.
But seriously, if perceived prestige is important to your happiness in the school you attend, you'd have a good chance of some name-brand acceptances and possibly merit scholarship offers, if your application stats are as projected, you have a compelling Personal Staement, your LORs are strong, and you interview well.

Thanks for the input. As far as "name brand" schools that I could possibly be accepted into, which ones would be a good fit for my stats? As far as LORs go, I have 5 or 6 solid ones lined up.

Thanks for the input. As far as "name brand" schools that I could possibly be accepted into, which ones would be a good fit for my stats? As far as LORs go, I have 5 or 6 solid ones lined up.

It's hard to say what would be a "match" for anyone's stats, because the process is somewhat unpredictable. I think you'll have a fighting shot at schools in the top 30, but your decision about where to apply should also be based on things like location and perceived personal fit.

In other words, pick your "brand name" schools based on where you would like to go, and see what happens. At the same time, make sure you have some "safety" schools too because nothing is really a sure shot.

Asking where you might be competitive is pointless without an MCAT. You are by no means assurred a mid-to-high 30s MCAT score, even if you have a high GPA. You need to take into account the very real possibility that you'll be applying with an average or even below average score.

I think this comes down to the birds in the bush versus birds in the hand situation. Is the possibility of getting into a top school worth more than the risk that after an MCAT you are struggling to even be competitive for the school you're now assuming will pre-accept you? I'd go for the pre-acceptance, and if you don't get it, then apply normally. Applying to med school is expensive, stressfull and emotionally draining, even if you get in!

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at how cynical some of these responses are. I realize that future and practicing doctors should have a measurable dose of logic and reason, but why try to shoot me down before knowing the facts? The reason I say that I am expecting a score in the mid-to-low 30s is because I'm testing in the low 30s right now with 3+ months to go before taking the real test.

I'd go for the pre-acceptance, and if you don't get it, then apply normally. Applying to med school is expensive, stressfull and emotionally draining, even if you get in!

Thank you for your response. I am just trying to weigh my options at the moment.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at how cynical some of these responses are. I realize that future and practicing doctors should have a measurable dose of logic and reason, but why try to shoot me down before knowing the facts? The reason I say that I am expecting a score in the mid-to-low 30s is because I'm testing in the low 30s right now with 3+ months to go before taking the real test.

Thank you for your response. I am just trying to weigh my options at the moment.

A little too sensitive... Nobody is trying to bring you down... :oops:

bannie,

Sorry, didn't mean to come across that way.

JJMrK,

I'll hear back probably late summer, but this program basically lets you know at the end of the interview whether or not they believe the AdComm is gonna give you the thumbs up. This puts me in a bind, because if I submit apps to schools through AMCAS, they claim they'll find out (how is this possible?).

Yeah, the fact that you are scoring in the low 30's now means nothing. If you are taking anything other than AAMC exams (princeton, kaplan, etc.) your scores are inflated a lot. If you are taking practice AAMC exams, the scores are inflated a couple points. Additionally, people tend to peak; sometimes as far out as 3 months. My point is not to lose hope but rather realize that as of now you have no score and can't be assured of anything over 30. Search the MCAT forum, tons of sad stories there.

I'd like to hear more about this early assurance program? Which schools offer this? Do you have to be invited? Is it only for students of the medical school's undergrad affiliate?

I don't really know enough information to weigh in on this issue, but it does have a certain bird in the hand vs. bush feel. In the event that you do score high 30s on the MCAT, you might be missing out on some serious merit money.

Huh, that's quite a dilemma. Basically, it sounds like you have to decide now which route to take without an MCAT score. Any way to push the interview back until you have a score?

How do you feel about the school that you have an interview at? Can you see yourself happy there for four years? Is the cost of attendance reasonable? If you're happy with it, go for it. If there is any doubt, I think you'd be an extremely competitive applicant if you get a 30+ and apply through a traditional cycle.

what school is this pre-acceptance program at, if you don't mind us asking?

Just do the MCAT. A 30 will still give you chances at lots of med schools.