MD Early Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1017183

Looking to see if it is a smart decision to apply EDP. My original plan was to apply in 2022, applying broadly all over the United States, like many of my peers. I came across the idea of applying early decision, but I would like a different set of eyes maybe see something I'm not seeing. This would be for the 2021 cycle, and I will ONLY be applying to this school, with an "incomplete" application.

Stats/ECs/Considerations:

~ 35 hours shadowing IM Doctor in US. 10 hours shadowing surgeon in Mexico. Will find a second doc to shadow. Can probably add 20 more hours.
~ 500 hours research, no pubs. Paid
~ 10 hours of volunteering
~ 3.8+ GPA similar sGPA
~ 400 hours working with families in meal preparation and educating them about better decisions. Paid
- Nutrition/Dietetics Major (don't really think it matters, but kind of shows a theme)
- URM
- Extremely Low SES
- Single mother, am an immigrant from Mexico who holds a green card
- First in my family to (hopefully) graduate college

Future:
- Am currently enrolled in CNA classes, and should be able to find a job relatively easy. I see tons of job posting for CNAs, and have connections in a hospital.
- Am about to start volunteering in a second lab, probably dedicating 5-10 hours a week.
- Am looking to start hospice volunteering, and will possibly do 2-3 hours per week.

The school I am applying to has a median MCAT of ~505, and I am aiming for a ~515. They have a heavy in-state bias, and they currently accept about 10-20% of EDP applicants (according to their website).

Please let me know if this is not the right place to make this post.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to accumulate 200+ hours of clinical volunteering or employment with patient contact. Where is your state of residence ?

Members don't see this ad :)
State of residence is New Mexico.
If you do well on the MCAT you would be seen as a desirable candidate by many schools that are searching Mexican American URM applicants. Some of these schools may offer substantial scholarships. If you want to stay in New Mexico and you do well on the MCAT (at least 508) then it may be worth applying early decision. Post your actual score here in the future.

If you do well on the MCAT you would be seen as a desirable candidate by many schools that are searching Mexican American URM applicants. Some of these schools may offer substantial scholarships. If you want to stay in New Mexico and you do well on the MCAT (at least 508) then it may be worth applying early decision. Post your actual score here in the future.
Sounds like a plan. This will be entirely dependent on my MCAT score. Thanks for the input!