Decisions / Getting CA residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiddlywinks

UC Davis c/o 2011
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been really lucky in getting accepted to three great schools, but I'm having a really hard time making a decision, especially between Penn and Davis. (I know, it's hard to get sympathy with a choice like that :) )I'm really excited about Davis in general, especially the zoo med program, but I'm in-state for Penn. Financials are gonna play a pretty big role in my decision. So I was wondering if anyone knows how easy it is to get California residency. I read the whole list of FAQs on Davis' registrar website, and it makes it seem pretty straightforward, but I was wondering if anyone has had personal experience, or knows if most people manage to get residency by the second year.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi tiddlywinks -- first, congrats on your acceptances! To answer your question, obtaining California residence is pretty easy. I got my M.S. from Davis in 2002. I paid non-resident tuition my first year but paid in-state tuition after that. All I had to do was register my car in CA, get a CA driver's license, register to vote, and show proof of providing for my own expenses (i.e. phone, electric bills, etc). You do not have to own property.

Davis, by the way, is an amazing town! You're very close to the Bay Area, wine-producing regions, and all sorts of outdoor activities. I barely drove when I lived there; I biked and walked everywhere. Hope this helps!

Thanks, catcrazy! Do you know if it will be a problem if I'm getting money from my parents (who are also PA residents) to cover some of the tuition/expenses?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got CA residency as a grad student, it's easy provided you're actually independent of your parents. Here are some things in addition to what catcrazy mentioned that were key for Berkeley:
- Stay in CA over breaks. It's OK to leave town for a few days around Thanksgiving and Christmas or whatever, but make sure you have credit card receipts for purchases during between-quarter breaks and especially over the summer. (If you go "home" every time school is not in session, then clearly you are not really a resident of CA...)
- File taxes independently of your parents as a CA resident. Your 2007 tax returns should be filed as a part-year CA resident (starting in August or whenever you move).
Do you know if it will be a problem if I'm getting money from my parents (who are also PA residents) to cover some of the tuition/expenses?
Maybe open a 529 account and have them make deposits there, then you write the checks? Note that I'm not in any way qualified to dispense this advice, so please check facts for yourself before actually doing anything. But... I think they can contribute up to $12K each per year (even if they're married) to you without triggering gift tax. Contributing to a 529 instead of writing checks directly to the school may reduce whatever Lifetime Learning Credit they would be eligible for on your behalf, I dunno. Anyway since 529 interest is tax-free I don't think it shows up on your tax return.

I also have been accepted to Davis and Penn but I am from neither state. Both are excellent schools and I believe also from visiting both campuses that it will come down to finances. From my conversations with officials from Davis it is not that hard to get residency after the first year and they work to help you out during that time. Right now I am leaning towards UC Davis due to finances and more focus on pathology, my interest, but at the same time I do want to live in a large city and live closer to some family as would be the case at UPenn.

Tiddlywinks -- I sent you a PM earlier this morning with answers to your questions. Forgot to let you know...