Decisions on what material to buy for the MCAT.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Columbia09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking the MCAT in late May, and I'm in the process of thinking of material to buy for the MCAT. I heard EK, BR and PR were good for different reasons. I didn't hear many good things about Kaplan and of course AAMC tests 7 - 11 are the closest to the actual exam. Anybody have any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've studied using EK and let me tell you, I wish I used TBR instead.

Now, I'm scrambling in this last month to raise my score by using TBR for their passages along with FL.

How do you order TBR books? By filling out that form and faxing it? And they're expensive, 70 dollars a book :/

How do you order TBR books? By filling out that form and faxing it?

No! Mail it in with "credit card" purchase intent.

Even that, it takes approx 2 weeks.

$69 per subject set of 2 books each.

Suggest just buy the 4 science subject sets and skip the VR set as it is not very impressive.

Suggest just buy the 4 science subject sets and skip the VR set as it is not very impressive.

Why can't I just order them online? Why do they still use snail mail?

Why can't I just order them online? Why do they still use snail mail?

That is the same question we at SDN have asked zillions of times.

The truth is BR is a very small private company. The current customer communication method is the businesss model they prefer. It is nothing, we as customer, can do about it. Sorry. :(

That is the same question we at SDN have asked zillions of times.

The truth is BR is a very small private company. The current customer communication method is the businesss model they prefer. It is nothing, we as customer, can do about it. Sorry. :(

Is BR really worth it?

I personally used both BR (sciences only) and EK (all), and I really liked the combination of the two - BR was great for the subjects I was really shaky on, while EK was good for quick reviews.

Just sent out the form. 335 dollars. Hope it's worth it.

The BR "material" are good but at the same time very dense; and it will challenge your committment and focus to the limit.

Please DO NOT expect any advancement if you only put the books under your pillow :p

Members don't see this ad :)

It's going to take 2 weeks for the books to get here ? I mailed out the form yesterday and I'm going back to school in late August so I want to make sure .

It's going to take 2 weeks for the books to get here ? I mailed out the form yesterday and I'm going back to school in late August so I want to make sure .

Two weeks is just the approximation based on my own experience and general consensus in SDN. If you live in California or West Coast, you may gain a couple of days. Adding the round trips of mail plus their internal process, it is about 10 business days to be on the safe side plus or minus.....

When is your MCAT day?

TBR and TPR, along with EK supplementals, are the study materials that the highest scoring students used in my uni.

Two weeks is just the approximation based on my own experience and general consensus in SDN. If you live in California or West Coast, you may gain a couple of days. Adding the round trips of mail plus their internal process, it is about 10 business days to be on the safe side plus or minus.....

When is your MCAT day?

May 2014

This is a great example of a thread that people should just ignore because it is a blatant violation of the first thing one should do when one has a question.

I rest my case.

Is it worth buying a brand new TPR hyerlearning verbal book for 200 $ on amazon? I bought one on amazon for 150$ but it has some of the answers circled and the passages are marked up. I feel like this can be a distraction so I asked for a refund. Anybody have an opinion ?

Is it worth buying a brand new TPR hyerlearning verbal book for 200 $ on amazon? I bought one on amazon for 150$ but it has some of the answers circled and the passages are marked up. I feel like this can be a distraction so I asked for a refund. Anybody have an opinion ?

Spend a few nights before bed time using a thicker marker to circle ALL answers as such to cover the original marking. You already spent the $, go for it. Move on, man.

Just use a sticky note to cover up the answer choice letters (assuming that's what's circled) and you'll be fine.

Spend a few nights before bed time using a thicker marker to circle ALL answers as such to cover the original marking. You already spent the $, go for it. Move on, man.

Just use a sticky note to cover up the answer choice letters (assuming that's what's circled) and you'll be fine.

Actually, no. It's much more annoying than that.

It's hard to circle things just like how the other guy circled them. You'll be able to tell which ones are your circles easily, unless you find the right colored pen, thickness, etc.

The sticky note thing is ridiculous. Are you going to remove said sticky note and move it for every single question you do? Are you going to cut the sticky note so that it is not so large to cover the rest of the page/questions? Try it yourself and you'll realize it's not what you think it is.

Source: personal experience with doing both of the above, as well as other equally ****ty methods. It's not worth it. OP, get a refund and an unmarked book. $150 for a marked one is ridiculous.

This may be a bit off topic from the thread but I have a quick question about TPRH; I puchased it off of ebay and go it today. However the cover says "MCAT Science Workbook" 2013 edition. Does this mean it is not from the Hyperlearning series and I bought the wrong book? The older editions (2012, etct.) all have the word "Hyperlearning" on the cover. Thx.

This may be a bit off topic from the thread but I have a quick question about TPRH; I puchased it off of ebay and go it today. However the cover says "MCAT Science Workbook" 2013 edition. Does this mean it is not from the Hyperlearning series and I bought the wrong book? The older editions (2012, etct.) all have the word "Hyperlearning" on the cover. Thx.

TPR stopped calling their course TPRH for a long time already. Guess the 2013 version finally reflects this.

It's a really thick book; if that's what you're holding, you're good.

TPR stopped calling their course TPRH for a long time already. Guess the 2013 version finally reflects this.

My TPRH verbal wasn't that thick........is it a really thick book ?

i getting a bit stressed that i that spent a bunch of money on an incorrect non-refundable book. so thank you very much clarifying :) i really appreciate it!

i getting a bit stressed that i that spent a bunch of money on an incorrect non-refundable book. so thank you very much clarifying :) i really appreciate it!

Hold on, n4now,

Yes, what inycepoo said is true.
However, may be we mis-understood what you really want to get.
The thIck book whether it has the word hyperlearning or not is the Science Workbook accompany with other PR Review series books including Bio, Phys, O-Chm and G-Chm. Do you mean you want the review series books? You can get those also at Amazon except that the Bio one is on backlog for almost 2 months (you can rent one).

Or do you mean to get the PR Verbal book which they called Verbal Workbook.

Whatever you think it is WRONG BOOK, the Science Workbook is gold. Don't throw it in the garbage :eek::p