Declining an Interview

osli

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2005
1,279
7
45
  1. Medical Student
    Not sure what the "protocol" is, but if it were me I'd call the admissions office, explain that I was holding an acceptance at another school that is higher on my preference list, and inform them that I although I would very much like to see their campus and learn more about the school I would not want to waste their time.

    I might think of some better wording than "waste their time" though. :)
     

    QofQuimica

    Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Moderator Emeritus
    15+ Year Member
    Oct 12, 2004
    18,900
    4,277
    Florida/Fellowship
    1. Fellow [Any Field]
    2. Attending Physician
      Just write an email to them. Be polite, and you don't have to give them a reason why. Mine basically said something to this effect:

      Dear Dean of Admissions John Doe,

      Thank you for inviting me to interview at XYZ Medical School. Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the interview, and I request that you withdraw my application from further consideration by XYZ Medical School.

      Sincerely,
      OP
       
      About the Ads

      thegenius

      Senior Wharf Rat
      15+ Year Member
      Gold Member
      Jul 12, 2004
      3,752
      2,954
      1. Attending Physician
        SeattlePostBach said:
        Do you think it is appropriate to email schools we haven't received invites from in the same way?

        I haven't written a Haiku in a long time....

        Yes, even better would be to send them a letter in the mail. But if you know that a school is competent with email then that should be safe.

        For instance, if I get into one of my top choices, I'm going to write (or just copy) what Quimica wrote and send off the letter to the 28 other schools that I've applied to. I might email a few of them though.
         

        Stroganoff

        Full Member
        15+ Year Member
        Nov 6, 2003
        44,507
        29,010
          Maybe I'm paranoid, but it seems pretty easy to pretend you're someone else and e-mail the school declining their interview. I bet some people would stoop that low just to increase their chances. How would they know, you ask? Either 1) They know the applicant in person and want to sabotage, 2) They read the applicant's super detailed MDapplicants page, 3) SDN, 4) pure guess.

          I'd leave a paper trail and do it via mail. ;)
           

          QofQuimica

          Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
          Moderator Emeritus
          15+ Year Member
          Oct 12, 2004
          18,900
          4,277
          Florida/Fellowship
          1. Fellow [Any Field]
          2. Attending Physician
            Dallenoff said:
            Maybe I'm paranoid, but it seems pretty easy to pretend you're someone else and e-mail the school declining their interview. I bet some people would stoop that low just to increase their chances. How would they know, you ask? Either 1) They know the applicant in person and want to sabotage, 2) They read the applicant's super detailed MDapplicants page, 3) SDN, 4) pure guess.

            I'd leave a paper trail and do it via mail. ;)
            Even people who know me personally don't know my AMCAS ID or the password to my official AMCAS email account. :rolleyes: If I were you, I'd find some new "friends." :smuggrin:

            Seattle, if the school hasn't invited you to interview but you want to withdraw, you can simply say:

            Dear ABC Medical School,

            Thank you for considering my application to ABC Medical School. However, at this time I would like to withdraw my application from further consideration.

            Sincerely,
            SeattlePostBach
             

            anystream

            Senior Member
            10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Jun 26, 2005
            491
            3
            1. Medical Student
              QofQuimica said:
              Even people who know me personally don't know my AMCAS ID or the password to my official AMCAS email account. :rolleyes: If I were you, I'd find some new "friends." :smuggrin:

              Seattle, if the school hasn't invited you to interview but you want to withdraw, you can simply say:

              Dear ABC Medical School,

              Thank you for considering my application to ABC Medical School. However, at this time I would like to withdraw my application from further consideration.

              Sincerely,
              SeattlePostBach

              at one school I withdrew from, all it took was a phone call and telling them my full name...so I would agree that it seems too easy, in a way.
               

              QofQuimica

              Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
              Moderator Emeritus
              15+ Year Member
              Oct 12, 2004
              18,900
              4,277
              Florida/Fellowship
              1. Fellow [Any Field]
              2. Attending Physician
                anystream said:
                at one school I withdrew from, all it took was a phone call and telling them my full name...so I would agree that it seems too easy, in a way.
                Ok, I give on this one. I've never tried to withdraw by phone, and that does seem to be a bit dicey, b/c then there's no written record of it. Email, on the other hand, is not anonymous. The sender *can* be identified by his/her email account and IP address, and the message is stored on who knows how many servers between you and your recipient.

                But by some people's logic, you really don't have ANY foolproof method to thwart a determined saboteur's intent to ruin your life. Couldn't I write a letter and forge your signature to it? Or maybe even steal something that you've actually signed and scan or photocopy your signature onto the document? Or just send a type-written letter without a signature? I'm sure I could come up with some other equally nefarious schemes to derail your apps if I kept trying.
                 

                anystream

                Senior Member
                10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                Jun 26, 2005
                491
                3
                1. Medical Student
                  QofQuimica said:
                  Ok, I give on this one. I've never tried to withdraw by phone, and that does seem to be a bit dicey, b/c then there's no written record of it. Email, on the other hand, is not anonymous. The sender *can* be identified by his/her email account and IP address, and the message is stored on who knows how many servers between you and your recipient.

                  But by some people's logic, you really don't have ANY foolproof method to thwart a determined saboteur's intent to ruin your life. Couldn't I write a letter and forge your signature to it? Or maybe even steal something that you've actually signed and scan or photocopy your signature onto the document? Or just send a type-written letter without a signature? I'm sure I could come up with some other equally nefarious schemes to derail your apps if I kept trying.

                  yea, I wasn't thinking in terms of sabatoging anyone's application, but after withdrawing from certain schools, I have thought to myself..."that was easy...almost TOO easy..."
                   
                  About the Ads

                  CerealBox

                  Senior Member
                  10+ Year Member
                  7+ Year Member
                  Apr 26, 2005
                  600
                  0
                    QofQuimica said:
                    But by some people's logic, you really don't have ANY foolproof method to thwart a determined saboteur's intent to ruin your life. Couldn't I write a letter and forge your signature to it? Or maybe even steal something that you've actually signed and scan or photocopy your signature onto the document? Or just send a type-written letter without a signature? I'm sure I could come up with some other equally nefarious schemes to derail your apps if I kept trying.

                    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
                     

                    QofQuimica

                    Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    15+ Year Member
                    Oct 12, 2004
                    18,900
                    4,277
                    Florida/Fellowship
                    1. Fellow [Any Field]
                    2. Attending Physician
                      Flopotomist said:
                      Man, you people are paranoid.. I mean, the only person I have sent withdrawal e-mails for was QofQuim... Can't go competing with all those fun avatars.
                      :p Heh heh, no one's figured this one out yet. :smuggrin:
                       

                      kirexhana

                      Make Me A Sandwich.
                      10+ Year Member
                      5+ Year Member
                      Apr 21, 2004
                      1,395
                      4
                      1. Medical Student
                        don't these letters/emails all sound awfully like rejection letters? I say take a rejection letter you have and just reword it.

                        Dear Medical School,

                        I have carefully considered your invitation for an interview. However I am sorry that I will not need a place in the first year class beginning August 2006.

                        I realize that the applicant pool at XX SOM must be very high, making it necesary for me to relinquish my invitation to someone who is on hold for an interview. Please do no construe my dicision to mean that you are not qualified to be an institution of medical eduation. Indeed, I already have an acceptance from many qualified schools which is more that I can accommodate.

                        I appreciate your interest in me and wish you success in getting other good applicants to fill your class.

                        Sincerely,

                        Joe Schmoe


                        God I wish I could send this to some schools before they send it to me...
                         

                        crazy_cavalier

                        T3-Weighted
                        10+ Year Member
                        Apr 3, 2005
                        4,992
                        9
                        Far away from my pillow -_-
                        1. Resident [Any Field]
                          abcehmu said:
                          Ignore the invite and never schedule?

                          *Absolutely do not do that*

                          You MUST notify the school. Simply write a polite letter or email saying that you are, regretfully, unable to make it to an interview. This is the professional thing to do. Ignoring them altogether only wastes valuable time for the adcom, and in a worse scenario, it prevents another qualified applicant from having an interview at the school.
                           

                          QofQuimica

                          Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          15+ Year Member
                          Oct 12, 2004
                          18,900
                          4,277
                          Florida/Fellowship
                          1. Fellow [Any Field]
                          2. Attending Physician
                            kirexhana said:
                            don't these letters/emails all sound awfully like rejection letters? I say take a rejection letter you have and just reword it.

                            Dear Medical School,

                            I have carefully considered your invitation for an interview. However I am sorry that I will not need a place in the first year class beginning August 2006.

                            I realize that the applicant pool at XX SOM must be very high, making it necesary for me to relinquish my invitation to someone who is on hold for an interview. Please do no construe my dicision to mean that you are not qualified to be an institution of medical eduation. Indeed, I already have an acceptance from many qualified schools which is more that I can accommodate.

                            I appreciate your interest in me and wish you success in getting other good applicants to fill your class.

                            Sincerely,

                            Joe Schmoe


                            God I wish I could send this to some schools before they send it to me...
                            :laugh: That's actually quite good. It sounds like a real rejection letter. :thumbup:
                             

                            deuist

                            Stealthfully Sarcastic
                            Air Force
                            15+ Year Member
                            Gold Member
                            Jun 14, 2004
                            4,539
                            447
                            Florida
                            1. Attending Physician
                              Dear Admissions Committee,

                              After a thorough consideration of your university, I have decided not to attend your institute. With over 120 medical schools, the competition was fierce this year. In the end, I had to select the school that would most closely match my goals for residency. This letter is not meant to say that you can't turn out great physicians. It's just to say that I got accepted to a higher ranked school.

                              Good luck in your admissions process. I'm sure that with your stats, you'll find someone willing to go there.

                              Sincerely,
                              Deuist
                              Director of my life
                               

                              Risa

                              like Lisa with an R
                              10+ Year Member
                              5+ Year Member
                              Aug 31, 2005
                              1,237
                              0
                              1. Medical Student
                                kirexhana said:
                                Dear Medical School,

                                I have carefully considered your invitation for an interview. However I am sorry that I will not need a place in the first year class beginning August 2006.

                                I realize that the applicant pool at XX SOM must be very high, making it necesary for me to relinquish my invitation to someone who is on hold for an interview. Please do no construe my dicision to mean that you are not qualified to be an institution of medical eduation. Indeed, I already have an acceptance from many qualified schools which is more that I can accommodate.

                                I appreciate your interest in me and wish you success in getting other good applicants to fill your class.

                                Sincerely,

                                Joe Schmoe

                                LOL nice!
                                 

                                letmein!please?

                                Senior Member
                                10+ Year Member
                                5+ Year Member
                                Nov 25, 2005
                                117
                                0
                                1. Pre-Medical
                                  I've decided to send withdrawl notes in the mail to any school that rejects me as soon as I get the letter. This way I get the last word, and they will never know If i sent it before I heard from them....muahahaha
                                   

                                  Messerschmitts

                                  Mythic Dawn acolyte
                                  10+ Year Member
                                  Aug 29, 2005
                                  997
                                  40
                                  38
                                  Gilroy, CA
                                  1. Attending Physician
                                    deuist said:
                                    Dear Admissions Committee,

                                    After a thorough consideration of your university, I have decided not to attend your institute. With over 120 medical schools, the competition was fierce this year. In the end, I had to select the school that would most closely match my goals for residency. This letter is not meant to say that you can't turn out great physicians. It's just to say that I got accepted to a higher ranked school.

                                    Good luck in your admissions process. I'm sure that with your stats, you'll find someone willing to go there.

                                    Sincerely,
                                    Deuist
                                    Director of my life

                                    HA HA HA HA :laugh: This is the most brilliant thing ever! Why didn't I write it this way when I declined my AMC interview? I LOVED the "with over 120 medical schools, the competition was fierce this year". Absolutely diabolical.

                                    Well, what I wrote to AMC was:

                                    Dear Albany Medical College Admissions,

                                    I am very honoured to have been invited to interview at your school. However, I regret to inform you that your school has been removed from my further consideration for matriculation. This year I have been invited to a large number of interviews (unlike last year, when your institution and many others rejected me without interview), and have been accepted to another institution of my choice.

                                    Thus, please offer my interview spot to another qualified applicant. I appreciate the interest that your institution has expressed in me, and wish you luck in recruiting and retaining an excellent incoming class. I forward to meeting and working with your alumni in the medical field in the future.

                                    Sincerely,
                                     
                                    About the Ads
                                    This thread is more than 15 years old.

                                    Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

                                    1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                    7. This thread is locked.