Declining Interview Invites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetTooth13

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have realized that I applied to too many schools! I have 12 interview invites and am wondering if I would be shooting myself in the foot if I cancel a few of them.

So far I have interviewed at VCU, Minnesota, UT San Antonio, and Iowa.
I will be interviewing at UNE, UT Houston, Marquette, MWU - IL, Utah, and Touro.
I have also been invited to interview at Midwestern - AZ and Western U. I moved my MWU-AZ to post-December, but I am wondering if I should cancel my Western interview all together.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this matter? Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
12?!? Holy cow. Jesus. Can you throw some over my way! I only have 3 but I will gladly take some of yours.

What are your stats anyways?

Me personally, I would have gone to 8 or so and called it a day. I guess if you feel you performed weak in some interviews and want to redeem yourself or you have the money for it.

I do see a lot of these schools once you get the interview, you only have a 20-35% chance of getting in after that. Some maybe more but this seems like the normal range.

Reactions: 1 users
12?!? Holy cow. Jesus. Can you throw some over my way! I only have 3 but I will gladly take some of yours.

Me personally, I would have gone to 8 or so and called it a day. I guess if you feel you performed weak in some interviews and want to redeem yourself or you have the money for it.

I do see a lot of these schools once you get the interview, you only have a 20-35% chance of getting in after that. Some maybe more but this seems like the normal range.

I don't have crazy stats which is what makes this so surprising to me: 3.70 sGPA, 3.78 oGPA, 22AA, 20TS.

Thanks for your input! It does cost a lot of money to attend all of these interviews, but I also want to be sure that I get in somewhere. Like you said, there is still only a 20-35% chance of getting an acceptance at each school. That is what makes this so hard!

I did end up cancelling my interview and withdrawing my application from Western.

Edit: corrected GPA

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I will be interview at 5 and cancelling the rest if I get anymore lol. I applied to 12 as well hoping for a couple interview. This cycle is eating my savings like it's a buffet

Reactions: 2 users
Also are you able to just not schedule an interview for WesternU? Or do you have to cancel it? Like could you just wait until after December 1st to decide whether to schedule an interview or do they ask you to schedule it soon

I interviewed at 8 and that felt like a good number. I started denying interviews after I had those 8 scheduled. At this point, just pick the schools that you actually want to go to or places you want to live.

Reactions: 2 users
12 interviews with only 2.7 sGPA? What's your secret?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
That's amazing!! When did you submit your applications?

Also are you able to just not schedule an interview for WesternU? Or do you have to cancel it? Like could you just wait until after December 1st to decide whether to schedule an interview or do they ask you to schedule it soon

I had already scheduled my Western interview before most of the other invites came in. There wasn't an option to reschedule it on the portal. I guess I could have called to reschedule, but I didn't. I decided to risk it and hope for an acceptance from one of the other 11 schools!

When I applied a few years back I was in a similar situation. And rather than just declining the interview invite I just scheduled the interviews with the schools I realized I would only go to if it was the only school I got into after December 1st. That way if I really did suck at interviewing and didn't get into a school on December 1st I still had a chance at the other schools haha. So just schedule/reschedule some of them after Dec 1st. It will save you time and money.

I have realized that I applied to too many schools! I have 12 interview invites and am wondering if I would be shooting myself in the foot if I cancel a few of them.

So far I have interviewed at VCU, Minnesota, UT San Antonio, and Iowa.
I will be interviewing at UNE, UT Houston, Marquette, MWU - IL, Utah, and Touro.
I have also been invited to interview at Midwestern - AZ and Western U. I moved my MWU-AZ to post-December, but I am wondering if I should cancel my Western interview all together.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this matter? Thank you so much!

Depends which school you really want to go?
Where is your in state?
Where is the cheapest? (Tx probably)
Where do you want to live for 4 years?

If money is not unlimited, I would withdraw some private schools that is soon expensive like both midwestern..
I would try to schedule post dec for Touro and Marquette if possible. You still had 4 interviews already, 3 more to go, and a few post dec that way. Just my preference. Depends where you want to live!

I'd go to all of them honestly. Never know what you might like. Might even get a scholarship, I did

How did you get 20-35%? Seems quite low (and I would imagine schools only want to interview those who they intend to accept if they interview fine). If you are comparing number interviewed to number enrolled, keep in mind that there are more acceptances, because schools know that some of those who they accept will ultimately choose to go elsewhere.

I don't have crazy stats which is what makes this so surprising to me: 3.70 sGPA, 3.78 oGPA, 22AA, 20TS.

Thanks for your input! It does cost a lot of money to attend all of these interviews, but I also want to be sure that I get in somewhere. Like you said, there is still only a 20-35% chance of getting an acceptance at each school. That is what makes this so hard!

I did end up cancelling my interview and withdrawing my application from Western.

Edit: corrected GPA
I thought most data and past anecdotes have reported that schools on average accept at least more than half of the interviewees. Most of the time, getting the interview is the hardest part, which is definitely something you don't have to worry about now lol. I think your issue is choosing which dental school you want to attend next year.

I'd go to all of them honestly. Never know what you might like. Might even get a scholarship, I did

I agree. The cost of attending them is nothing in comparison to all of the other expenses. IMO, it's also useful to practice your interviewing skills, meet more people in the field, learn about different schools, see other cities, etc.