Declining reimbursement rate for Anes

Started by fuel200
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i don't think mil could state in any clearer for all of you med students thinking about anesthesia or currently applying...

your salary will go down, your hours will go up. so if you're going into anesthesia because the salaries are currently high and the hours you have to work are low...you'll be ABSOLUTELY miserable. no doubt about it. if you're going into it because you actually enjoy the work, then you'll be fine.

remember though, if SO many so-called "slackers" are currently going into the field..those "slackers" are going to be your colleagues. do you think these "slackers" are going to be actively lobbying for your reimbursements to stay high? are they going to be promoting academic research that will improve the reputation of the field? think about all of those things before you commit to a field simply because it looks good on paper to you as of 2006.


well said.
 
hehe

Volatile, ive been reading these forums for years, I have never, in my life, met (read?) someone who was so in love with himself. Your "experience" you have quoted many times on this forum. You often have made the suggestion in posts that you were clincally apart of healthcare. Now clearly, you were either lying then or now. Truthfully, I dont care.

I appreciate the interest in anonymity, afterall many of us enjoy it. Mil may come off as brash, but he is clearly a success. I would take his advice over yours in a heartbeat. You are not a success, you are a begginer. Your buisness experience (if its real) may help you in private practice, but you have alot to learn about respect and communication if this forum is any indication. I surmise that in real life, as is often the case, you are quiet and demure else you would not have found your way through residency with this attitude toward your superiors.

You are nobody here much like myself. JPP and Mil are the proverbial "Oracles" on this forum. It is sad to see someone who pontificates about experience and age be so disrespectful and ignorant. With the future of Anesthesiology in the hands of the likes of you, we may well be doomed.

who the hell are you? seriously. 2 posts? actually prove you have anything relevant to contribute here before you expect me to give a crap about what you say.

What's up with constantly insulting people?
 
okay, you go first. go ahead and tell us where you practice and what your name is.

Other than insulting people, I've been answering first all along.

Why don't you behave like the mature person that you claim to be and step up to the plate first for once (I mean other than stepping up to insult someone).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Regardless of your intelligence, ability, experience, etc., arrogance in anesthesia=kiss of death. After 10 years in private practice, I have seen many smart, capable anesthesiologists suffer because they could not keep their mouths shut. It's okay to talk sports, family, current events. Otherwise keep your eyes+ears open, keep an open mind, and learn when you first join a practice. Save your advice/suggestions/etc for down the road.
 
Regardless of your intelligence, ability, experience, etc., arrogance in anesthesia=kiss of death. After 10 years in private practice, I have seen many smart, capable anesthesiologists suffer because they could not keep their mouths shut. It's okay to talk sports, family, current events. Otherwise keep your eyes+ears open, keep an open mind, and learn when you first join a practice. Save your advice/suggestions/etc for down the road.

Thanks Nimbus... 🙂

So much anger in this thread. 🙁

I agree though... socialized medicine is inevitable, the US medical system is broken, but I knew this going into medical school and most likely I'll still be practicing when it eventually comes to fruition, but if you truly chose that which you love, then I think you will be happy on your own terms. Obviously, both Volatile and Military love what they do...

Peace,
John
 
Hmm

I did not realize that the truth was measured by the number of posts one made.

who the hell are you? seriously. 2 posts? actually prove you have anything relevant to contribute here before you expect me to give a crap about what you say.
 
f

worked in the healthcare industry for years dealing with physicians and other third-party vendors and managing multi-million dollar contracts.

Since you have worked in healthcare so long then you should have been smart enough to NOT go to med school. It's just an observation that the majority of MD's are pretty miserable and this is understandable given today's healthcare environment and that is not intended to be a slam against MD's. Obviously you needed to feed that hissing, burning, consuming vacuum of your ego. Judging by the attitude exhibited by you on this forum, you are destined to have a lonely, bitter life and career. You will completely alienate anyone around you that doesn't stroke your ego or genuflect. I suggest you stay away from tall buildings, bridges, sharp objects, firearms and lethal medications. As for me, I don't care what you say....I will be happily living in Margaritaville with thoughts of you constanly asserting your superiority completely expunged from my mind, just as everyone that has met you will too.

P.S. Oh and kiss my hairy white a s s
 
the bill is working its way through right now...


Im not an anesthesiologist or in the medical field. But i do need to know when this 40% reimbursement cut will take effect.

Can you post some evidence of this for me please. Not that i dont believe you, because i do. I was unable to find information on this topic. I need to follow this.

Thanks, Matt
 
Im not an anesthesiologist or in the medical field. But i do need to know when this 40% reimbursement cut will take effect.

Can you post some evidence of this for me please. Not that i dont believe you, because i do. I was unable to find information on this topic. I need to follow this.

Thanks, Matt

I don't know the answer to that. I've been getting e-newsletters from the ASA about this bill, but I don't know the details of the timeline....anyone else?
 
Wow, sometimes you guys simply amaze me. My situation needs the business sense equivalency of that which is contained in an earthworm's brain... $200.00/hour. 15 minute start time for each patient. Example-- 3 patients to start at 0700 you say?, my money clock starts at 0615 and money clock ends when the last patient is out of the surgery center. I didn't sign any contract nor will I sign one in the future. Paycheck lands in mailbox every 2 weeks. I don't pay for my malpractice insurance, the boss does. If I take a vacation or call in sick, I don't get paid. I could give a rat's ass what insurance the patient has. No call unless I have a burning desire which is never. No meetings or major business decisions. OR nurse runs the board. CRNAs get the schedule, pow wow it out ,and decide which CRNAs with which cases with the stipulation by me that I want zero to none HAs from the surgeons and staff. Oh that week that the certifying clowns are at the center to make sure you have 3-4 locked doors before you can access the narcs?-- Damn, that's the time I'm on vacation, it's such a shame that I missed them---NOT. I take it lean and mean, baby, with no foo foo fluff. Just your atypical renegade anesthesia *****.... Regards, ---Zippy
 
Wow, sometimes you guys simply amaze me. My situation needs the business sense equivalency of that which is contained in an earthworm's brain... $200.00/hour. 15 minute start time for each patient. Example-- 3 patients to start at 0700 you say?, my money clock starts at 0615 and money clock ends when the last patient is out of the surgery center. I didn't sign any contract nor will I sign one in the future. Paycheck lands in mailbox every 2 weeks. I don't pay for my malpractice insurance, the boss does. If I take a vacation or call in sick, I don't get paid. I could give a rat's ass what insurance the patient has. No call unless I have a burning desire which is never. No meetings or major business decisions. OR nurse runs the board. CRNAs get the schedule, pow wow it out ,and decide which CRNAs with which cases with the stipulation by me that I want zero to none HAs from the surgeons and staff. Oh that week that the certifying clowns are at the center to make sure you have 3-4 locked doors before you can access the narcs?-- Damn, that's the time I'm on vacation, it's such a shame that I missed them---NOT. I take it lean and mean, baby, with no foo foo fluff. Just your atypical renegade anesthesia *****.... Regards, ---Zippy

Do you need a partner?
 
Sorry Mil but no partners needed at this time. You're probably needed more where you're at. Regards, ---Zip
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow, sometimes you guys simply amaze me. My situation needs the business sense equivalency of that which is contained in an earthworm's brain... $200.00/hour. 15 minute start time for each patient. Example-- 3 patients to start at 0700 you say?, my money clock starts at 0615 and money clock ends when the last patient is out of the surgery center. I didn't sign any contract nor will I sign one in the future. Paycheck lands in mailbox every 2 weeks. I don't pay for my malpractice insurance, the boss does. If I take a vacation or call in sick, I don't get paid. I could give a rat's ass what insurance the patient has. No call unless I have a burning desire which is never. No meetings or major business decisions. OR nurse runs the board. CRNAs get the schedule, pow wow it out ,and decide which CRNAs with which cases with the stipulation by me that I want zero to none HAs from the surgeons and staff. Oh that week that the certifying clowns are at the center to make sure you have 3-4 locked doors before you can access the narcs?-- Damn, that's the time I'm on vacation, it's such a shame that I missed them---NOT. I take it lean and mean, baby, with no foo foo fluff. Just your atypical renegade anesthesia *****.... Regards, ---Zippy

If we all want/become this, MDA will be a dying species.
 
Wow, sometimes you guys simply amaze me. My situation needs the business sense equivalency of that which is contained in an earthworm's brain... $200.00/hour. 15 minute start time for each patient. Example-- 3 patients to start at 0700 you say?, my money clock starts at 0615 and money clock ends when the last patient is out of the surgery center. I didn't sign any contract nor will I sign one in the future. Paycheck lands in mailbox every 2 weeks. I don't pay for my malpractice insurance, the boss does. If I take a vacation or call in sick, I don't get paid. I could give a rat's ass what insurance the patient has. No call unless I have a burning desire which is never. No meetings or major business decisions. OR nurse runs the board. CRNAs get the schedule, pow wow it out ,and decide which CRNAs with which cases with the stipulation by me that I want zero to none HAs from the surgeons and staff. Oh that week that the certifying clowns are at the center to make sure you have 3-4 locked doors before you can access the narcs?-- Damn, that's the time I'm on vacation, it's such a shame that I missed them---NOT. I take it lean and mean, baby, with no foo foo fluff. Just your atypical renegade anesthesia *****.... Regards, ---Zippy


Sign me up baby!
 
If we all want/become this, MDA will be a dying species.

this is a problem across ALL physician disciplines that aren't well-organized or run with good business sense. but, we won't become like zippy. actually, kaiser-permanente is the model of the future. you will all be nothing more than "employees" someday unless you do something now to protect your practices. mark my words.

zippy, make hay while the sun shines.
 
I trained at Bethesday Naval Hospital....in case you didnt' know...it 's the hospital where the President of the United States goes to have surgery, members of Congress....people like that..

Curious how all of your posts about the military paint it as a festering cesspool of incompetence, except when you need to puff up your credentials, and then it's a shining beacon where the President of the United States goes to have surgery.
 
Curious how all of your posts about the military paint it as a festering cesspool of incompetence, except when you need to puff up your credentials, and then it's a shining beacon where the President of the United States goes to have surgery.

The cesspool is for the enlisted.....the cesspool is about the way the system functions as a whole....

They keep little hottubs with babes in bikinis and champagne for the VIPs.
 
I trained at Bethesday Naval Hospital....in case you didnt' know...it 's the hospital where the President of the United States goes to have surgery, members of Congress....people like that..

I've never been in Iowa.

Curious how all of your posts about the military paint it as a festering cesspool of incompetence, except when you need to puff up your credentials, and then it's a shining beacon where the President of the United States goes to have surgery.

uhhh....where in my post did I say that Bethesda Naval Hospital is "a shining beacon".....The hospital is obscure enough in the academic world, that identifying who goes there is the only way anyone would know which hospital I'm referring to.

If I just told you that I trained at the hospital where we took care of lazy, fat, enlisted sailors who over eat because of lack of self control....would you know which hospital I'm referring to?
 
uhhh....where in my post did I say that Bethesda Naval Hospital is "a shining beacon".....The hospital is obscure enough in the academic world, that identifying who goes there is the only way anyone would know which hospital I'm referring to.

If I just told you that I trained at the hospital where we took care of lazy, fat, enlisted sailors who over eat because of lack of self control....would you know which hospital I'm referring to?

If you change 'enlisted sailors' to 'unemployed crack addicts' you'd be describing my hospital.
 
If you change 'enlisted sailors' to 'unemployed crack addicts' you'd be describing my hospital.

I haven't logged on in a while to reply to anything, but I was reading this thread, somewhat numb, due to the usual bitching back and forth that seems to occupy this site anymore, when I read this gem of a response. It made me laugh. Sounds like my hospital too! I'm on vacation now, so I have a 1 week reprieve from dealing with the poor protoplasm everyday!
 
The cesspool is for the enlisted.....the cesspool is about the way the system functions as a whole....

They keep little hottubs with babes in bikinis and champagne for the VIPs.


thats funny. its unfortunately so true though. i did a few months at the VA during my intern year, and i can add to how inconsistent the va is in its care. i worked with some the best and brightest doctors and most compasionate nurses while there. the thing about the va is that the few useless and just down right dangerous doctors and nurses that would have been fired anywhere else are still taking care of patients daily. one time in urgent care i saw a patient with calcium of 14 and every text book sign/symptom of severe hypercalcemia except he hadnt boxed his kidneys yet. he was obviously an immediate admit. he had just been seen by his nurse practitioner 3 days prior, who in her note comented on his calcium, 13.8 at that time, with the recommendation to drink plenty of water and return if symptoms didnt improve in a week 😱