Defer a school AND reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slim06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm in a bit of a bind and would sure appreciate the opportunity to tap the collective experience of you all. I'm an older applicant and applied this cycle and got into several great schools. I've been very fortunate. I also attached crisp $100s to the secondaries.

My problem is this: My wife just got offered her dream job for a year with the possibility of it becoming permanent if all goes well. This is perhaps even more than a dream job, it's a position that she's been dreaming of for her last 8 years of graduate school (!).

Unfortunately, her job is in the south (North Carolina), and I didn't apply to any schools there. The closest is in NYC. So, I'm wondering if it's possible for me to defer one of my acceptances, go live with her for a year and re-apply, this time only to schools in NC. Do ya think that medical schools would be all right with their deferrees applying elsewhere?

My thinking goes that if her one year job doesn't become permanent, then we'll go to the great school that I've deferred. If it does become permanent, then I'll go to (any) school in the great state of North Carolina that accepts me. Do y'all think that this might work out?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't know that you could defer an offer and reapply. :confused: The school that you were deferring would probably be pretty upset.

Have you considered a long distance arrangement for 1-2 years? If the dream job doesn't work out, she joins you. If it does, you apply for a transfer at the end of 2nd year to a school closer to her. If she's an academic (8 years in grad school), this sort of compromise is not that unusual; I've heard of it among a number of academic couples.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. We had considered the long distance thing, but it's hard. I imagine that the first year or two of medical school changes you a LOT. And yes, she's an academic, wonderful, but sometimes unemployable....

I thought about transferring, but I wonder are many schools accepting of transfers after the pre-clinical years? Has anyone on this board transferred? How was the experience?

I know that USC used to have 20 slots for transfers for folks to train at LA County, but this year they just expanded their first year class size, so I don't think that they'll take transfers.

Generally, from what I've read here, transferring isn't super common but people do it every year, and usually it's only for reasons such as you've listed (i.e. most people find it hard to transfer if they just hate their school). In other words, you sound like a good transfer candidate.

Adcoms, despite all the crap they get, are human and I think they would understand. Def write them before May 15 and see what they say. It can't hurt bc you're already accepted.

Do you mean that I should write to them about getting in THIS year? Or just two years down the road?

Deferments and their stipulations vary by school... some schools are binding, in that your decision to attend said institution is final. But with other schools, you can reapply while on deferment. One of my classmates did this, based on a reason similar to yours. Your best bet would be to contact the schools you have been accepted to and explain your situation... and also to find out their policies on deferment.

At least in my own experience, deferred/delayed matriculation students have to resubmit the following-year's AMCAS as a formality and for tracking purposes. ALSO find out if any merit scholarships you might receive can also be deferred until you actually matriculate.

I was accepted at Colorado in 2005 and deferred for one year due to very similar circumstances. I wrote the dean of admissions a letter stating my reasons for wanting a deferral and he granted it with encouragement.

In the interim, Colorado instructed me to fill out a 2006 AMCAS as a formality. However, I was not allowed to apply at other institutions unless I withdrew my admission to CU. I would imagine most med schools follow this same philosophy.

I doubt you can have it both ways -- a seat in next year's MS1 class and the opportunity to apply elsewhere.

You've got some tough decisions.... Best of luck.

slim06 said:
Do you mean that I should write to them about getting in THIS year? Or just two years down the road?

You should write to them now about deferring your admission for next year. If they say yes, great. If they say no, you have a hard decision to make.

moranwoods said:
I was accepted at Colorado in 2005 and deferred for one year due to very similar circumstances. I wrote the dean of admissions a letter stating my reasons for wanting a deferral and he granted it with encouragement.

In the interim, Colorado instructed me to fill out a 2006 AMCAS as a formality. However, I was not allowed to apply at other institutions unless I withdrew my admission to CU. I would imagine most med schools follow this same philosophy.

I doubt you can have it both ways -- a seat in next year's MS1 class and the opportunity to apply elsewhere.

You've got some tough decisions.... Best of luck.

I just got a deferral from Pitt. They also require the same, with same stipulation that I cannot apply elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprise if this is the norm almost everywhere.