Defer a year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anee1984

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Assuming I get accepted into the 2006 cycle, do you think it would be possible for me to defer a year? My reason would be that I wish to travel to China and study abroad for one year. In case you're wondering--Why don't I just wait till 2007 to apply?-- I have already sent in my AADSAS application and my fees ($785!!) so I am reluctant to withdraw my application now.

I know that being fluent in Mandarin will not only help me professionally as a dentist, but also personally as well, since I have an abiding interest in Chinese. Do you think adcoms would accept that as a reason to defer? Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Here in California there are many dentists that did not speak how do speak Spanish nor when aboard ......and still do fine by picking up some spanish here and there to work with their patients. I think that there could be better reasons to defer a year than learning a language a little faster

anee1984 said:
Assuming I get accepted into the 2006 cycle, do you think it would be possible for me to defer a year? My reason would be that I wish to travel to China and study abroad for one year. In case you're wondering--Why don't I just wait till 2007 to apply?-- I have already sent in my AADSAS application and my fees ($785!!) so I am reluctant to withdraw my application now.

I know that being fluent in Mandarin will not only help me professionally as a dentist, but also personally as well, since I have an abiding interest in Chinese. Do you think adcoms would accept that as a reason to defer? Thanks for any input.

I'd probably do it if I had a choice, sounds like a great idea!

Members don't see this ad :)
anee1984 said:

Studying Chinese would be a good reason, but sometimes they don't even ask you for the reason to defer.

I think that taking a year off to explore interests outside of dentistry is a good idea. However you might not be able to defer as some schools don't allow it.

anee1984 said:

In my opinion if ya have a chance to go and live in another country and experience a culture outside your own you should definately do it. I am applying to dental school this year but I graduated college in 2003 and then went to bolivia for 4 months to learn spanish and lived in Peru for a year teaching 1-6th graders gym class. Yah nothing to do with dentistry directly but I know I will be a better doctor for it. I am now pretty fluent in spanish and I have to tell you no matter how much you study a language in a book you will never be as good speaking it as you will be if you learn it in a country that actually speaks the language. Yeah you got some money tied up if you can't defer but in reality you may never have the time and flexibility to do something like this again even when your a dentist and you will probably be kicking yourself later if you don't.