Defer admissions to apply to IS school again

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cowboykitten

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, so I don’t know if this is possible but does anyone know if you can defer admissions for a year and then in that year re-apply to another vet school? Would it be considered a transfer since I would’ve already committed to a school? In my deferral request, I wouldn’t tell the school that I’m going to reapply to other schools.
 
It’s possible that they may allow you to defer, but depending on the school they may not unless you have a really good reason for needing to defer a year. Island schools may be more flexible, I’m unsure.
It would not be a transfer since you have not started school.

Yeah, I work in research so I’m hoping I can go the “substantial work opportunity” route. It would be a deferral from Tufts or Mizzou though, I’m still deciding on which school to commit to. But even if the deferral is rejected I’d still be happy to start this fall. Just figured it’s worth a shot! Worst they can say is no right [emoji28]
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, I work in research so I’m hoping I can go the “substantial work opportunity” route. It would be a deferral from Tufts or Mizzou though, I’m still deciding on which school to commit to. But even if the deferral is rejected I’d still be happy to start this fall. Just figured it’s worth a shot! Worst they can say is no right [emoji28]
Mizzou will at least let you change your residency, unless something had changed. So you should be eligible for IS prices after a year I believe.
 
I did this: I deferred a vet program, decided to reapply last minute to IS, and I got in and will be attending in the fall. My reason for deferral was for an academic program, so you’ll likely need a valid reason for deferral. Sounds like you wanna do substantial research, which I can only imagine is a good reason.

Definitely has been done before… shoot your shot