Defer an acceptance for a year???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I recently came across an article expressing the 8 alternatives to college. http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticke...tives-to-college-535903.html#mwpphu-container Video interview should automatically start playing.

James Altucher, who has a Cornell Undergrad Diploma/Carnegie Mellon MBA, expressed a new way to look at college. Seeing that I have graduated, perhaps I can take him on his offer.

Some of the things he encourages instead of college is:

"-- Start a business."
"-- Work for a charity."
"-- Travel the world."
"-- Create art."
"-- Master a sport."
"-- Master a game."
"-- Write a book."
"-- Make people laugh."

Maybe, I can do some of the above before I go to post-grad. I've always been in a straight linear path. Perhaps a deviation into the unknown is for the better. Any other suggestions/examples that I could do if I deferred for a year?

Members don't see this ad.

I recently came across an article expressing the 8 alternatives to college. http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticke...tives-to-college-535903.html#mwpphu-container Video interview should automatically start playing.

James Altucher, who has a Cornell Undergrad Diploma/Carnegie Mellon MBA, expressed a new way to look at college. Seeing that I have graduated, perhaps I can take him on his offer.

"-- Start a business."
"-- Work for a charity."
"-- Travel the world."
"-- Create art."
"-- Master a sport."
"-- Master a game."
"-- Write a book."
"-- Make people laugh."

Maybe, I can do some of the above before I go to post-grad. I've always been in a straight linear path. Perhaps a deviation into the unknown is for the better. Any other suggestions/examples that I could do if I deferred for a year?

First, have you already been accepted to dental school for Fall 2011?

Second, how much do you really know about yourself? From my many unique experiences in life, I can honestly say that I know myself very very well. If all you can say is that you have graduated college and have been a member of some number of clubs as life experiences than perhaps you should branch out.

"-- Start a business."
"-- Work for a charity."
"-- Travel the world."
"-- Create art."
"-- Master a sport."
"-- Master a game."
"-- Write a book."
"-- Make people laugh."

Dental school is quite the experience in itself. You could probably get some good travelling in, draw some pictures and write a short novel in the summer before it starts. Best of both worlds.

Are you looking for a reason not to go to DS? You should be pretty excited at the prospects of starting, if it's what you want to do for a living.

Members don't see this ad :)
A year of laying low and doing something else is a year lost of profit as a dentist. That is a lot of profit.

lol what a waste of money and time.

you could have done all of those things in that list during undergrad

"-- Start a business." Needs money(mommy & daddy ?)
"-- Work for a charity." wont probably benefit much from you, but if you are a dentist and do it for 4 hours once a week you will do more good.
"-- Travel the world." needs $ (mommy & daddy?)
"-- Create art." wtf...
"-- Master a sport." go to gym it will benefit you more. you getting into master level of any sport will be very highly unlikely and wont benefit you in anyways.
"-- Master a game." ?... May be you can do that in dental school to master your hand skills.
"-- Write a book." you do this in dental school while you take notes you write your own book
"-- Make people laugh." if you want to do that then shadow louie... but you wont get anything out of it...

Linear is good... trust me. going in all sorts of curved paths full of dead ends makes me regret why i wasted time.

if you are longing to experience some of these things, have the financial means to do so and are able to defer your acceptance...i say you should go for it...

there are many people who are so burned out by their careers because all they've spent their whole lives focusing on career goals and nothing else...

think about someone who spent their high school years studying for the SAT and keeping their GPA up so they can attend the best college...then going to college and spending all day at the library so they can get a high GPA/standardized score to attend yet another post graduate school or move on to a prestigious job...etc...that is the path to depression later on in life IMO

1 year is not gonna hurt you much in the long run, dentistry is a 30 year career, have some fun and travel the world while you're still young!

"-- Start a business."
"-- Work for a charity."
"-- Travel the world."
"-- Create art."
"-- Master a sport."
"-- Master a game."
"-- Write a book."
"-- Make people laugh."

Notice how James Altucher has a bachelors and masters degree. There should be one more item on the list; "-- Come up with a stupid list in order to write a book and make money."

I watched the Yahoo! video interview of him, I agree with all that he is saying. I would balance taking time for yourself and continuing on into dental school. Maybe make a list of the pros and cons of each!

First, have you already been accepted to dental school for Fall 2011?

if you've already been accepted, you should check to see if you are actually able to defer that acceptance. many schools don't allow that, which might make your decision for you.

however, if you're talking about taking a gap year between undergrad and dental school and you haven't applied yet, i personally think it can be a very useful thing. that's what i did, and i have no regrets about it. sure, i may lose one year's worth of dental salary, but when you consider you'll be working for 40ish years, one isn't so much. taking a year to not be in school let me focus my time to just having fun, hanging out with friends, and working in a different field for a bit (which for me provided a possible back up plan if i didn't get in this cycle). i was also feeling burnt out from academics, so this gave me a good break and i know that i'll be able to go back and get the most out of my studies.

in the end, though, you've gotta do what's best for you.