Slight Dip in Grades During Junior Year

Started by deleted1234270
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted1234270

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I'm currently a rising senior in undergrad, and I wanted to get some honest feedback about how a recent dip in my grades might be viewed by dental schools.

During the first half of undergrad, academics were one of the strongest parts of my application. However, during my junior year, my family went through some financial and personal issues that took a toll on my mental health. As a result, my grades declined across multiple classes, including physics. For reference, my grades in the physics sequence were 3.5, 3.6, and 3.9. As you can see, I was able to improve by the end of the sequence. I know these aren't poor grades by themselves. However, I'm still concerned because the decline wasn't limited to just physics. My grades dropped in the other courses I was taking as well, and since I'm in a relatively less rigorous major compared to some traditional pre-dental majors, I'm worried this downward trend might stand out even more.

I'm not really looking for reassurance or asking whether these grades are considered "bad." I'm just wondering how admissions comittees might view a decline in academic performance that occurs later in undergrad. Also, besides earning strong grades during my senior year, what are the best ways I can strengthen my application so that this period doesn't become a signficant weakness?
 
Hello,

I'm currently a rising senior in undergrad, and I wanted to get some honest feedback about how a recent dip in my grades might be viewed by dental schools.

During the first half of undergrad, academics were one of the strongest parts of my application. However, during my junior year, my family went through some financial and personal issues that took a toll on my mental health. As a result, my grades declined across multiple classes, including physics. For reference, my grades in the physics sequence were 3.5, 3.6, and 3.9. As you can see, I was able to improve by the end of the sequence. I know these aren't poor grades by themselves. However, I'm still concerned because the decline wasn't limited to just physics. My grades dropped in the other courses I was taking as well, and since I'm in a relatively less rigorous major compared to some traditional pre-dental majors, I'm worried this downward trend might stand out even more.

I'm not really looking for reassurance or asking whether these grades are considered "bad." I'm just wondering how admissions comittees might view a decline in academic performance that occurs later in undergrad. Also, besides earning strong grades during my senior year, what are the best ways I can strengthen my application so that this period doesn't become a signficant weakness?
dontworryaboutit
just keep up the grades from now on...