10+ Year Member
- Oct 14, 2011
- Reaction score
I would take a year to work on all the improvements suggested to you. COVID-19 doesn't make it easy for you to get additional clinical experience, but it won't be accepted as an excuse.Hi, I am sorry in advance for the long post. I would appreciate anyone's advice for my dilemma.
I am a senior who just graduated. I applied last cycle (2019-2020) and I ended up with a 497 MCAT score. My GPA was a 3.7. I applied to MD schools received several secondaries but no interview invites and eventually got rejected. I also applied to a few DO schools. I did not care as much about MD vs DO. However, by December I still didn't receive any word on acceptances so I decided to enroll in an MCAT class seeing that the cycle wasn't working out.
Towards the end of January I finally received an interview from a DO school that I was very excited about. I scheduled the interview for February and all was good. But I was still studying for MCAT in case this school didn't work out. A couple days before my interview date my father passed away in Egypt while he was on a short trip to visit family. I was forced to reschedule my interview and I was out of the country for a few weeks. I returned to the states and rescheduled my interview and got accepted. However, I made the difficult decision to defer due to my father's passing and my family's condition.
I cancelled my MCAT course and stopped studying after my father's passing in February. My father's passing made me realize I mainly chose the medical field due to my deep passion to serve my community back in Egypt. I realized that this may not be feasible as a DO because they are not accepted in Egypt as doctors. Hence, my dilemma.
I am now considering reapplying to MD schools and retaking my MCAT in July. However, I have not been able to change much in my application since the last cycle. I spoke to several schools that rejected me last cycle and many just stated it was due to my low MCAT score. They also stated that my extracurriculars and experiences were good. The only change I would make is my MCAT score, personal statement, and more hours as a Patient Care Technician.
So I guess my questions are:
1) Could I get in trouble for reapplying while having deferment to DO school? I did not sign any sort of contract.
2) Would I have any chance in getting in this cycle with the minor changes in application?
3) Will it look bad that much of my application has not changed even with the whole COVID-19 situation?
We would need to know the conditions of your deferment as being binding to that school or not. I think your wish to be a practicing physician in Egypt by going to a US medical school may require a little more research; because of the expense of US medical education, most will stay in the US for quite a period of time to pay back their loans, and I don't think being a physician in Egypt really will pay back those loans either.
You'll have to weigh your options: spend more money and anxiety with retaking the MCAT, applying to schools with no guarantee of interviews, and trying to rack up more US clinical hours once the COVID-19 epidemic subsides (if it does) versus focusing your efforts on your personal and family's health and preparation for beginning medical school. Also, just because you do what is prescribed does not mean you get accepted; faculty on the admissions committee will determine that, and there's no guarantee of success as a reapplicant. You also have to know that AMCAS will ask you whether you have been accepted to another medical school; technically you have (accepted not matriculated) by accepting that deferral, and most schools don't want to raid other school's students.