Deferment - Your Opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfactant

Al Herpin
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a new member, but have been browsing SDN for years now. I have been accepted to DMU and CCOM. I was wondering what your thought on deferring your acceptance are. My plan would be to travel around the U.S. and a few other countries for a year. I am only 21 years old and spent most of my time studying and doing EC and would like to chill for a while before I devote myself to my future career. I am currently decided to go to DMU, but have kept a deposit down on CCOM just in case. I know both schools would like to know ASAP if I would like to defer my acceptance for year. I would love to hear your opinions on whether I should ask for a deferment or not.

Members don't see this ad.

generally you need a good reason to defer. this doesn't sound like a good reason. they are likely going to say that if you wanted to chill you shouldn't have applied. and they would be right.

generally you need a good reason to defer. this doesn't sound like a good reason. they are likely going to say that if you wanted to chill you shouldn't have applied. and they would be right.

+1. Exactly what i was thinking.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a new member, but have been browsing SDN for years now. I have been accepted to DMU and CCOM. I was wondering what your thought on deferring your acceptance are. My plan would be to travel around the U.S. and a few other countries for a year. I am only 21 years old and spent most of my time studying and doing EC and would like to chill for a while before I devote myself to my future career. I am currently decided to go to DMU, but have kept a deposit down on CCOM just in case. I know both schools would like to know ASAP if I would like to defer my acceptance for year. I would love to hear your opinions on whether I should ask for a deferment or not.

You should have thought of this before you applied. That being said, it doesn't hurt to ask: the worst thing they'll say is 'no.' I know my allopathic school probably would grant you a deferment for this, so it is possible

Any pre-meds reading this, please, for the love of God, consider taking time off before med school: you'll have the opportunity to enjoy part of your 20's, strengthen your application, experience the 'real world,' and most importantly, mature. Remember, med school isn't going anyway, but your 20's are

Amen. Congrats on your acceptances, unfortunately you chose to apply, now they are yours... On to being a doctor it looks like. But like another member said, you can always ask, just don't bank on a "yes".

Has DMU started sending you newsletters? I know last year in it there was a part about if your plans have changed you could e-mail the enrollment office or something. If you have questions, that's who I would ask first and they can give you info or point you in the right direction.

You should have thought of this before you applied. That being said, it doesn't hurt to ask: the worst thing they'll say is 'no.' I know my allopathic school probably would grant you a deferment for this, so it is possible

Any pre-meds reading this, please, for the love of God, consider taking time off before med school: you'll have the opportunity to enjoy part of your 20's, strengthen your application, experience the 'real world,' and most importantly, mature. Remember, med school isn't going anyway, but your 20's are

I agree. Work in a hospital at some point so you know your head from your rear at some point when you are ACTUALLY around patients. I'd say best is 2-3 years between ugrad and med school. You will work harder when you study if you find ways to keep your mind from atrophying. Read all the books you want but never had time to!

+1. Definitely do not get caught in the same position as the OP, this is not a good position to be in and it will not surprise me OP if they tell you no. I definitely think that more pre-meds need to experience the real world, travel, and then go to Medical School. I would say that waiting until one's early 30s isn't a great situation but it does add some very interesting life experiences.

You shouldn't have applied!!!!! I'd take it if I was you. I think You can take time off during med school...

You shouldn't have applied!!!!! I'd take it if I was you. I think You can take time off during med school...

Taking time off during Medical School can be just as hard as taking time off at the beginning of Medical School.

If you're gonna be working, real world sucks. If you're gonna be traveling, it's probably gonna be one of the best times of your life.

21 years old? See if you can delay a year. I always kind of think younger people are at a disadvantage for medical school compared to those with more life experience.

Explore the world!

21 years old? See if you can delay a year. I always kind of think younger people are at a disadvantage for medical school compared to those with more life experience.

Explore the world!

Well the average matriculation age is a couple years ahead only because the younger applicants tend to finish high school early such as myself, but been through the same experiences as an avg age applicant or even more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Exploring the world is really for the privileged. Many people don't have that option to "take a year off" between UGrad and Medical School. Personally, I chose to start medical school immediately as opposed to getting a full time job/student loan payments and struggling to maintain ECs and volunteer work.

Congrats on your acceptances. All schools have their own 'rules' for deferring and interestingly, sometimes what is published is not black and white. It is absolutely worth asking about. They cannot take away your acceptance and may appreciate that you feel the need to go see the world before you hunker down. It will make you a better and more focused student.

GL and I hope it all works out for you.

What if the reason for deferment is more of a non-urgent family issue?

Let's say that I'll be moving to a different state with my wife for school. I want to defer to make sure that she'll have a job before I start, so I know that she'll be able to handle some of the finances by herself while I am in school. During that gap year, I'd be working and whatnot. Do you guys think that'll be a good enough of an excuse?

Let's say that I'll be moving to a different state with my wife for school. I want to defer to make sure that she'll have a job before I start, so I know that she'll be able to handle some of the finances by herself while I am in school. During that gap year, I'd be working and whatnot. Do you guys think that'll be a good enough of an excuse?

I would say no. mainly because each of my interviews asked me specifically how i plan to get through finances with a wife and kids. one interview went pretty in depth and asked if my wife had to find a job in the area, if i was certain her job paid enough, how would i react if i found out she wasn't making enough, etc. it was pretty in depth. i could be wrong but because the 2 med schools basically said "its your problem" my bet would be no.

It's worth a shot. I deferred because of pregnancy and they didn't give me a hard time about it at all. But all schools are different, and I had a pretty good excuse :)

decided im going to suck it up and attend.

thanks to all you who have posted

Exploring the world is really for the privileged. Many people don't have that option to "take a year off" between UGrad and Medical School. Personally, I chose to start medical school immediately as opposed to getting a full time job/student loan payments and struggling to maintain ECs and volunteer work.

Oh, please: taking 2-3 years off to work a job that pays you money--which you can use to pay your UG loans and save money for applying to med school--is a luxury?

Oh, please: taking 2-3 years off to work a job that pays you money--which you can use to pay your UG loans and save money for applying to med school--is a luxury?

Did you not even read what I said? I said taking time off and "Exploring the world" was a luxury. Most people end up working full time, usually at a crappy job, which is not fun at all.