Deferral for Panic Disorder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeedAdvicePlease

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I created this account for anonymity's sake. I would love a little bit of advice. I have a history of panic disorder that has been well controlled for a while but has flared up recently. I am accepted at a few schools right now but I will be looking for a deferral because of this. I could probably make it if I attend but I would like to be fully ready when I start med school rather than scraping by. When writing the deferral requests should I specifically mention this issue? Would it suffice to state that it is a medical condition (I can get medical documentation)? Should I be worried that my acceptances will be recanted because of this? I know that there is a stigma against mental illness and I don't want to be prejudged because of it at the school I do attend if they have this information. Any thoughts are welcome. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all! I created this account for anonymity's sake. I would love a little bit of advice. I have a history of panic disorder that has been well controlled for a while but has flared up recently. I am accepted at a few schools right now but I will be looking for a deferral because of this. I could probably make it if I attend but I would like to be fully ready when I start med school rather than scraping by. When writing the deferral requests should I specifically mention this issue? Would it suffice to state that it is a medical condition (I can get medical documentation)? Should I be worried that my acceptances will be recanted because of this? I know that there is a stigma against mental illness and I don't want to be prejudged because of it at the school I do attend if they have this information. Any thoughts are welcome. Thank you!
I would get a professional psychiatric opinion on this. In your deferral request, I would state that you are requesting a deferral based upon medical opinion of your physician (if the physician actually believes deferring is in your best interest). Unless they ask for specifics or want the physician's report, I would be vague, even though this is no different than an issue with diabetes or other chronic conditions. Some schools are very liberal with deferrals, others not so much. Really depends.

Please note many schools have "wellness" programs and other services to supplement your physician's advice. Hope you get good advice and best wishes to you.