When to request deferral

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mstpgrind

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have one A this cycle and 3 WLs.

I'd like to defer my acceptance a year (assume the reason for the deferral is an unequivocally valid reason, and that I won't have an issue getting it - such as I need to take care of a sick family member for a year)

I've already requested a deferral from the school I was accepted to, but if I'm accepted to any of the other 3 schools I'm WL'd for, I'll go there.

Should I make the schools aware that I mean to request a deferral now, or should I wait until I get the A before making them aware?

Members don't see this ad.

I have one A this cycle and 3 WLs.

I'd like to defer my acceptance a year (assume the reason for the deferral is an unequivocally valid reason, and that I won't have an issue getting it - such as I need to take care of a sick family member for a year)

I've already requested a deferral from the school I was accepted to, but if I'm accepted to any of the other 3 schools I'm WL'd for, I'll go there.

Should I make the schools aware that I mean to request a deferral now, or should I wait until I get the A before making them aware?
You would wait until/unless you get an offer.

Reactions: 1 user
You can't defer an offer before you get one.

Of course you can tell them your intentions... they would be glad to reject you and move someone else more enthusiastic about medical school into your place.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If a school is going to the waitlist, it is because they have a seat to fill today. If you have no intention of filling a seat this year, please remove yourself from the waitlist. Be thankful that you have an offer and the school that made the offer is willing to permit you to defer.

Reactions: 5 users
If a school is going to the waitlist, it is because they have a seat to fill today. If you have no intention of filling a seat this year, please remove yourself from the waitlist. Be thankful that you have an offer and the school that made the offer is willing to permit you to defer.
I'm not going to remove myself from the WLs, as I would like to go to any of the schools that I'm WLd for over the school that I got an A to, and I value my own goals over those of the med schools I'm WLd for.

However, do you think that it's less likely to grant a deferral if an applicant gets in off the waitlist vs. getting in normally?

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not going to remove myself from the WLs, as I would like to go to any of the schools that I'm WLd for over the school that I got an A to, and I value my own goals over those of the med schools I'm WLd for.

However, do you think that it's less likely to grant a deferral if an applicant gets in off the waitlist vs. getting in normally?
Yes, that's the point of the waitlist. If those to whom offers have been made say "no" then the admissions office goes to the waitlist to fill a seat that is empty that year. They are not aiming to fill next year's seats with applicants who were second tier this year. If you are not willing to fill a seat this year, there is no point of waiting for a seat that may become available this year.

If you do get off a waitlist and the school is unwilling to give you a deferral, would you attend this year? If yes, then stay on the waitlist. If no, because you have other obligations/responsibilities this year, then take yourself off of the waitlist as you'll only feel regret and further sadness that your responsibility to a sick family member precluded you from attending the school you most wanted to attend. Better, I think, not to know what could have been if not for that family member's illness. YMMV.

Reactions: 7 users

Personal friend experienced similar situation last year but it was due to a huge health problem of his.

He got accepted into two schools normally and only one granted a deferral. He got off the WL at 3 of his 7 WL’s and none of them would grant him a deferral, even though he would physically be unable to attend so I believe what LizzyM said is correct: even if you got off the WL, it is very unlikely that you’ll be granted a deferral, and they’ll just give the spot to the next person on the WL…

Reactions: 6 users
Personal friend experienced similar situation last year but it was due to a huge health problem of his.

He got accepted into two schools normally and only one granted a deferral. He got off the WL at 3 of his 7 WL’s and none of them would grant him a deferral, even though he would physically be unable to attend so I believe what LizzyM said is correct: even if you got off the WL, it is very unlikely that you’ll be granted a deferral, and they’ll just give the spot to the next person on the WL…
Thanks for this… it helps solidify what options I have.
I think I’ll most likely remain on the WLs and see if anyone else in the family can take care of my family member.

Reactions: 1 users
As the adcoms pointed out it's poor form to do that, but as you pointed out you value your own interests the most. All you can do is wait and see and ask.