Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Deferral policy

Discussion in 'Dental' started by cyclonesurfer, Apr 13, 2007.

1. cyclonesurfer

Dental Student
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone happens to know anything about deferrals. My husband just found out this week that he may have to move out of country for 6 months to a year for a special job assignment. The original plan was for him to work remotely from wherever I attended school but this is not possible with this particular project. Ideally, I would go with him and defer enrollment until Fall 2008. However, I don’t know if this is something schools typically allow.

Has anyone had experience with this or know someone who has?

Thanks in advance!! J

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show
    Physician Dentist Moderator Emeritus

Non-Student
    I would suggest talking to the school in question.

4. diane07

Pre-Dental
    Talk to the school that accepted you . . . that decision is up to them.

5. cyclonesurfer

Dental Student
    any thoughts on whether my reasons would be enough to get a deferral?

6. Lesley

Lesley Member

Attending Physician
    I think it may, but do you really want to defer admission? I would think if your husband is going to be away six months and busy with an assignment, it would be the perfect opportunity for you to dive right into dental school, get oriented and set up a good study schedule. Six months isn't that long, and the time you spend alone may end up being fortunate. If it's something you really want to do, contact your school and ask them. With things like this, they'll appreciate your situation more if you explain it sooner than later. Someone on the waiting list may be readily willing to take the seat you defer. If they will allow you to defer, get it in writing, and make sure that there are no additional stipulations to you starting with next year's entering class. Good Luck.

7. dentalman

dentalman Senior Member

I understand that 6 months is a long time to be apart. You really need to ask your school about the deferral. But Lesley does make a good point, 6 months can be looked at as a short time as well, and you will gain 6 months that he won't have to put up with you during dental school. And you will gain 6 months that you don't have to wait around not being in dental school. So, yes, it is a good enough reason, but if you decide to do long distance, 6 months is manageable (but it won't be much fun.)

8. DAS

DAS

Dentist
    I am also trying to see if I could get a deferral for one year, because I have to go abroad soon and don't know when I will be returning. I hope they allow us to get a deferral otherwise I am screwed. :scared:
    Good luck.

9. djeffreyt

djeffreyt Senior Member

Dentist
    what are you going abroad for? Military?

10. cyclonesurfer

Dental Student
    which school?

11. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe

Pre-Dental
    Don't know when you are coming back? Sounds like you are going on a secret government mission.

12. DAS

DAS

Dentist
    kinda.:smuggrin:

Its actually not related to the military, but I don't think I will be back in time for this year's class. So, I am deferring for a year:(

13. cyclonesurfer

Dental Student
    Hey DAS,

has your request been approved already?

14. rocknightmare

rocknightmare Senior Member

Dental Student
    there was a student that applied to vcu either last year or this year who asked for a deferral and admin allowed them to defer... (i remember our dean of admin talking to a professor about how he had to deal with finding another student)..

15. cyclonesurfer

Dental Student
    anyone know if you get put on a waitlist - whether you get an automatic acceptance for the following year?