deferral?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eveve

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm holding an acceptance to an out of state school, and I was pretty set on going until this past week when I found out I'm pregnant. I'm beyond excited, but the school is in a weird location with not a lot of jobs for my husband. Would this be a case for deferral? I'm really nervous about leaving friends and family during this time, and especially after the baby's born. Do I reject this acceptance an try again next year for somewhere closer to home? I am lucky enough to live in a city with several med schools. Will I be blacklisted for turning down an acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm holding an acceptance to an out of state school, and I was pretty set on going until this past week when I found out I'm pregnant. I'm beyond excited, but the school is in a weird location with not a lot of jobs for my husband. Would this be a case for deferral? I'm really nervous about leaving friends and family during this time, and especially after the baby's born. Do I reject this acceptance an try again next year for somewhere closer to home? I am lucky enough to live in a city with several med schools. Will I be blacklisted for turning down an acceptance?

I would contact the school specifically. You would be giving birth in your first semester. That sounds like a bad idea. Also, being pregnant in anatomy is a big no-no. I think the school might actually let you defer for a year.

Good to know about anatomy. I'm still concerned about moving so far from friends an family with an infant though, I'd like not to give up all I've worked for, but would 're-applying even be an option?

Members don't see this ad :)
You're not going to be blacklisted for deciding not to go to the first school to give you an acceptance. Other schools and AMCAS will ask if you've applied before in upcoming cycles, but it won't prevent you from potentially getting accepted elsewhere/at the original school at a later date. So, yes, you can reapply next year.

Couple notes though. One, a deferral doesn't usually allow you to apply elsewhere while holding your slot at that school (at least, no where I've seen). You usually enter a contract with that institution that you promise not to apply elsewhere in your gap year, or you forfeit your acceptance. So, if you defer, be sure that's the school you want to attend after your gap year. Second, schools will usually only grant one gap year, so you'd have to attend the following year or forfeit your seat. Third, if you choose to reapply instead of defer, weigh carefully the chance that you may still not get accepted closer to your current location (or even anywhere).

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.

Congratulations, both on the acceptance and the pregnancy!

I'm a dude so I know nothing of this - but I imagine giving birth is hard enough, and then there's raising the kid. Med school seems taxing enough for someone without an infant, I wonder how much harder it would be with one (unless your significant other is willing to do most of the raising - and if you're ok with that).

I definitely think deferring would be a good option. This would give you some for the delivery + for your sig other to see if he can get a job near the school. (I think this is the most important consideration here - you'll need the support for sure!)

Otherwise, I think re-applying to a school in more ideal location would also be an option to consider.

Good luck!

I'm going to guess that it won't be a "good enough" reason for deferral. Best of luck anyway though, and congratulations

I'm going to guess that it won't be a "good enough" reason for deferral. Best of luck anyway though, and congratulations
Can't tell if joking. It's as good enough a reason as any, if not one of the better reasons. If you were the school, what would you expect a pregnant student do?

Can you name 2 good reasons or do good reasons not exist for a med student?

Can't tell if joking. It's as good enough a reason as any, if not one of the better reasons. If you were the school, what would you expect a pregnant student do?

If the pregnancy were planned it would be a different story imo. Also, if the pregnant person were already matriculated it would also be a different story. Deferring someone for a year because they're pregnant and will have family problems (husband can't find a job, etc) if they matriculate is not a good decision (imo) because those things will not necessarily resolve themselves by Aug 2014. I'm pretty sure school's lets students defer with the understanding and expectation that they will matriculate a year later.

Can you name 2 good reasons or do good reasons not exist for a med student?

Finishing a graduate degree and a mission/research trip. I don't know why these are "good reasons", but I know people have been granted deferrals for them in the past.

Good to know about anatomy. I'm still concerned about moving so far from friends an family with an infant though, I'd like not to give up all I've worked for, but would 're-applying even be an option?

They will give you a respirator, this bridge was crossed when I was an m1 with some of my classmates. And yes I'd think this would qualify for a deferral, if that school grants deferrals. I got a deferral for a retinal detachment and subsequent surgery and complications. Forcing someone to matriculate with a newborn is setting them up for failure, and would be irresponsible on the part of the school. Either way congrats! What an exciting time for you guys. I hope my wife and I can hold out till the end of residency!

Congratulations! :love:

As others have noted, I would certainly imagine that this qualifies for a deferral. If I were you, I'd contact the school to discuss this matter sooner rather than later. :thumbup:

OP- you'll get much better advice if you post over in the non-trad forum where people who actually have had kids before/during med school tend to hang out.

No idea if you'll get a deferral but I hope you do! Also, congrats on the baby.

I would hope a baby would be a "good enough" reason.

I'd go for the deferral and use the extra time to get everything in order for your new family. Congratulations on both your acceptance and pregnancy! Best wishes to you.

Finishing a graduate degree and a mission/research trip. I don't know why these are "good reasons", but I know people have been granted deferrals for them in the past.

I believe a pregnancy is a much better reason for deferral than either of those two things you listed. Although I don't think there is anything with regard to pregnancies and medical school curriculum, I know jobs treads very lightly around maternity leaves. I imagine schools would be very sympathetic in this regard as well, as long as she still intends on matriculating the next year. This would give time for her husband to also find a job in the area, as well as make sure their family is properly established before tackling medical school. If this is stated well enough to the school, I'm almost certain that any reasonable school would grant a deferral. I'm not educated in the matter of deferrals though, so my opinion is as valid as your own.

You'll be able to defer. You won't be able to apply to other schools during your off year.

Could always abort.