Deferred Acceptance at Western vs. NYCOM Medprep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medlover247

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I'm in need of some advice.

I have been offered a guaranteed deferred acceptance at Western for the class of 2015 but have also been accepted to NYCOM's MEd-Prep, Pre-Matriculation program. For those who don't know this is a 5-6 week program (May 25- July 2nd) during which time you take med school classes, do the labs etc and if you do well you get accepted for THIS year.

Basically my entire family is in California where I am originally from and this is where I would like to stay for residency and practice. I loved Western during my interview and it was my top choice. I like NYCOM as well but have heard mixed reviews about the school.

I'm leaning towards just waiting a year and going to western but wanted get your viewpoints on this crazy situation.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have been offered a guaranteed deferred acceptance at Western for the class of 2015 but have also been accepted to NYCOM's MEd-Prep, Pre-Matriculation program. For those who don't know this is a 5-6 week program (May 25- July 2nd) during which time you take med school classes, do the labs etc and if you do well you get accepted for THIS year.

Basically my entire family is in California where I am originally from and this is where I would like to stay for residency and practice. I loved Western during my interview and it was my top choice. I like NYCOM as well but have heard mixed reviews about the school.

I'm leaning towards just waiting a year and going to western but wanted get your viewpoints on this crazy situation.

Thanks!

If I was in your situation, I think I would definitely wait the year and go to Western. It's a great school and I think that if your goal is to stay in California and be close to your family, it's the best option that will allow you to do that (not just during med school but landing residencies too). Good luck!

I'm assuming its not possible to do both? Go to nycom med prep if you don't get in goto western 2015. But at the same time if these are your only options at an osteopathic school, if you can't pass med prep maybe you should reconsider before you get into more debt.

Members don't see this ad :)
probably not the best advice... but if i were you i'd get deeply involved in my favorite hobbies, party, sleep, travel, work part-time, vacation all stress free for a year and start 2015. i was accepted since 9/2009 and that's exactly what i did. in fact, i'm currently jet lagged from my most recent vacation :D:D:D

i'm happy school is starting, but also sad this past year is almost over. i haven't had a break like this since high school. i've seriously been on a 1 year summer vacation lol.

con: i feel like i've gotten dumber. the most i've used my brain since 9/2009 was to convert currency last week on vacation. :eek:

probably not the best advice... but if i were you i'd get deeply involved in my favorite hobbies, party, sleep, travel, work part-time, vacation all stress free for a year and start 2015. i was accepted since 9/2009 and that's exactly what i did. in fact, i'm currently jet lagged from my most recent vacation :D:D:D

i'm happy school is starting, but also sad this past year is almost over. i haven't had a break like this since high school. i've seriously been on a 1 year summer vacation lol.

con: i feel like i've gotten dumber. the most i've used my brain since 9/2009 was to convert currency last week on vacation. :eek:

lol....lucky

Ideally I would have liked to do both. But, I don't think that's going to be possible because my job is fairly new. Its a really good job and took me a while to find given the economy. The last thing I want is to be unemployed for a year :eek:

Its actually been two years since I graduated. I haven't been able to do the things I've always wanted to. On the other hand I really want to go back to school. It would've been cool to be able to do the program and experience med school before it even started. I'm pretty sure if I give it my all I'd be able to do well in the program...

Why were you offered a guaranteed deferred acceptance?

edit: Congrats on the acceptance, I would definitely wait and attend COMP.

Last edited:
You've been accepted, so stick with the sure thing. spend the year off saving money, having fun, and relaxing. Also, California is where you want to be. Accept Western's offer.

Congratulations on the acceptance!

If it was me, I would defer. A year off, worry free. Yes, please!

Ideally I would have liked to do both. But, I don't think that's going to be possible because my job is fairly new. Its a really good job and took me a while to find given the economy. The last thing I want is to be unemployed for a year :eek:

Its actually been two years since I graduated. I haven't been able to do the things I've always wanted to. On the other hand I really want to go back to school. It would've been cool to be able to do the program and experience med school before it even started. I'm pretty sure if I give it my all I'd be able to do well in the program...

I'm sure if you try you can do well too, but it just doesn't really match what you want in the future which is staying in Cali. It'll be easier to attend westernu for that goal than going to NY. I was in simialr situation last year. As previously mentioned, you can just take it easy for a year, or work for some tuition/spending money (what I did) and just chill and wait for school to start.

Btw, westernu provides summer ISAC program prior to yr 1 med. It will gives you a taste of med anatomy course and prep you for real yr 1 med. You could always do that for next summer ;)

In your shoes, I'd definitely go to Western. No way in hell I'd leave CA to go to NY (but that's just me). I spent so much time trying to get away from the northeast.

I'm also curious as to the answer of the question below.

Why were you offered a guaranteed deferred acceptance?

In your shoes, I'd definitely go to Western. No way in hell I'd leave CA to go to NY (but that's just me). I spent so much time trying to get away from the northeast.

I'm also curious as to the answer of the question below.

Western's C/O 2014 filled up pretty early, so they offered deferred acceptance for certain applicants they already interviewed.

OP, I would go for the sure thing and you get to stay in CA.

Wouldn't that mean if enough people turn it down he or she might have a chance at still going this year too?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wouldn't that mean if enough people turn it down he or she might have a chance at still going this year too?

Yeah, but it's an uphill battle for a few reasons.

1) In my mind, at the interview visit day one of the administrators (perhaps the asst. dean?) said that only 8% of people offered admission ended up declining the offer. That number sounds absurdly low and I think I heard incorrectly. On the other hand, basically everybody at the interview said that WCOMP was their top choice. I went in wanting to hate the place (I was in love with UMDNJ at the time) and came out with COMP as my top choice as well. I don't know if it's the way their presentations are done (very well, I might add), if it's the characteristics of the school, or just the enthusiasm of everybody present, but it definitely hooks you. Probably a mixture of all three.

For what it's worth, I wasn't drawn by the SoCal weather. It's 67F here in Michigan and I already think that it's on the verge of being too hot. I like the school in spite of this though.

2) I can't say for sure, but essentially everybody on SDN who interviewed between mid-January and mid-March (last interview date) got deferred. I called admissions and they said a few people got in though. In my mind, the conclusion you may draw from this is that a ton of people got deferred off of SDN as well.

3) WCOMP has a history of not moving the waitlist very much. One of the C/O 2013 said that he was #2 on the waitlist but got in around June or July, one of those "J" months.

In regards to the OP's question, I haven't heard much about NYCOM. I applied but got a silent rejection post-secondary, so I didn't do any intensive research on the school. Have you read the "Pros and Cons of your DO School" review thread?

Yeah, but it's an uphill battle for a few reasons.

1) In my mind, at the interview visit day one of the administrators (perhaps the asst. dean?) said that only 8% of people offered admission ended up declining the offer. That number sounds absurdly low and I think I heard incorrectly. On the other hand, basically everybody at the interview said that WCOMP was their top choice. I went in wanting to hate the place (I was in love with UMDNJ at the time) and came out with COMP as my top choice as well. I don't know if it's the way their presentations are done (very well, I might add), if it's the characteristics of the school, or just the enthusiasm of everybody present, but it definitely hooks you. Probably a mixture of all three.

For what it's worth, I wasn't drawn by the SoCal weather. It's 67F here in Michigan and I already think that it's on the verge of being too hot. I like the school in spite of this though.

2) I can't say for sure, but essentially everybody on SDN who interviewed between mid-January and mid-March (last interview date) got deferred. I called admissions and they said a few people got in though. In my mind, the conclusion you may draw from this is that a ton of people got deferred off of SDN as well.

3) WCOMP has a history of not moving the waitlist very much. One of the C/O 2013 said that he was #2 on the waitlist but got in around June or July, one of those "J" months.

In regards to the OP's question, I haven't heard much about NYCOM. I applied but got a silent rejection post-secondary, so I didn't do any intensive research on the school. Have you read the "Pros and Cons of your DO School" review thread?

I have no cons about NYCOM, to be honest. I went in there and had a similar experience to what you had at COMP. I came out loving it more than I had ever expected it to. The students all seemed very happy, all of the presenters, from professors to financial aid people, were all super kind and knowledgeable. The campus is beautiful, and I was impressed by the technology and the lecture halls - they actually have those standardized robot patients (love it!!)

I will say to OP, though, to wait the year. Location and the ability to stay close to home was my top preference and one of the major reasons NYCOM was my #1 choice. So if you want to be happy, stick with your top choice and the location you feel most comfortable in.

If it was me, I sure as hell wouldn't want to go to California - I'm sticking with the New York weather, tyvm. :)

Thanks!

Both schools are excellent programs. So that aside and since you want to do residency and eventually practice in Cali, if I were in your shoes... I would go to Western. Best of luck with your decision! :)

Thanks!

Definitely defer for the year and stay at home.

I'd defer and work for a year if I was in your shoes.

Thank you all soo much for your feedback, I really appreciate it!

I think i'm gonna go ahead an wait a year, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping a spot will open up for me this year.

I'm very very excited and happy to have been accepted at Western, I'M FINALLY GONNA BE DOCTOR!!!!!! It still seems unreal...

For those of you are still waiting or applying just remember that if you want this from your heart it will happen and whatever happens happens for the best. I've basically worked all my life towards this and have had ALOT of obstacles, but it happened for me and it will happen for you if you give it your all...

Thanks to SDN for all of the advice great over the years (minus the drama and crazy pre-meds haha). Good luck to everyone! :luck:

Oh and I wish Western had robotic patients, that would make it the best school ever!

Oh and I wish Western had robotic patients, that would make it the best school ever!

I think that's one of my favorite things about NYCOM - robots are awesome! The pediatric robot is creepy, though.

I sometimes wonder what the school has to gain by telling someone oh not this year, but we'll guarantee you a spot here next year. I don't really get it at all actually...its not like they won't be able to fill there seats next year without you.

I sometimes wonder what the school has to gain by telling someone oh not this year, but we'll guarantee you a spot here next year. I don't really get it at all actually...its not like they won't be able to fill there seats next year without you.

Well if the class fills up much quicker than they expected, it's certainly nice of them to offer a place in next year's class rather than tell someone "sorry, sucka!!"

If you're a strong enough applicant and they really want you at their school, I'm sure it's also in their best interests to offer you a spot.

They already took the time to interview you though, and if you truly do make the cut and then some, it would be in their favor to keep you to up their stats much easier for the next round of apps.

I would get this show on the road. But that's just me. Don't wait.

If I hadn't waited, id be graduating in a week. Instead, I'm studying for step 1.