Deferred AF COT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babloo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was selected by the Air Force along with others on 21 April and my recruiter says there is not enough time to complete the security clearance to do the June COT. It is not possible to do the July COT because my classes start at NSU 1 Aug. The recruiter is planning on getting my COT deferred. Any body else in the same boat? I am worried because I read somewhere that we have to complete COT before starting medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

babloo said:
I was selected by the Air Force along with others on 21 April and my recruiter says there is not enough time to complete the security clearance to do the June COT. It is not possible to do the July COT because my classes start at NSU 1 Aug. The recruiter is planning on getting my COT deferred. Any body else in the same boat? I am worried because I read somewhere that we have to complete COT before starting medical school.

This whole process of getting approval from the Senate scrolls has thrown a curve ball to most recruiters it seems. My recruiter sent out my fingerprint cards on Monday. He quoted me 1-3-weeks before the whole "approved" to commission package is back. Meaning, I would not be able to access the AFIT system to even think about scheduling COT dates until then. Getting to my point, yes, I'm in the same situation b/c my orientation and classes start the first week of August as well. It is preferred to get COT out of the way before starting med school so the summer between 1st and 2nd year is used for something more productive.
Good luck.
-Cheers,
Steve

Last year they ended up changing the dates of the second COT in order to accomodate people who would be starting school August 1st. You may want to keep an eye out for this. It is definately recommended to go to COT before 1st year---so that you can go to SAM b/w 1st and 2nd....I hear SAM is a really good experience, and it will free up some of your summer time. It is now a "requirement" for all 4 year recipients to go to SAM, so I am not sure how that would work out in your case.

(Summer b/w 1st and 2nd year is only 5 or 6 weeks, so spending over 4 at COT isn't ideal.