• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

deferred decision at Umich?

kirexhana

Make Me A Sandwich.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2004
  1. Medical Student
    I was all excited to check my app status at Umich this morning. my heart stopped when i realized that the page had been updated. and then it broke when i realized that they didn't make a decision. tease! did anyone that interviewed on 10/14 have this response? i forgot, does this mean that they looked at my app and want to wait for more people to make a decision? or did they not get to my app and are waiting till december for the next committee meeting?

dajimmers

Hedgehog!
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    May 21, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    1. Medical Student
      I believe it means they are waiting to see more interviewees/applicants before deciding for you. I'm sure their committee is meeting sometime between now and December. I don't know anything about the statistics for those on "hold" that then get waitlists vs. acceptances... Good luck to you, however. Too bad December's so far away, waiting sucks.

About the Ads

thegenius

Senior Wharf Rat
      15+ Year Member
      Gold Member
      Jul 12, 2004
      1. Attending Physician
        jrdnbenjamin said:
        I too interviewed on 10/14 and had a deferred decision. I don't know what will happen, although I assume it's not a great sign.

I spoke with one of the secretaries of the admissions office and in fact being on the deferred decision list is the second best option to getting an acceptance.

1) only a few applicants are put on the deferred decision list. I was not given a number only only a "small" number are, so I would think that means between 50-75 people.

2) they put you on the DD list because you are more qualified than those on the waitlist. If you are on the waitlist there is no guarantee that you'll get a spot in that years class. Because there is no guarantee that Michigan will dip into the waitlist. If you are on the DD list, the admissions committee can grant you an acceptance in December or put you on the waitlist.

3) you can do things to improve your chances of getting in, by sending correspondence to the Director of Admissions Dr. Daniel Remick. Also if there are any updates to your application send them in.

4) remember Michigan generally invites between 300-375 people each year to be in their class. Some years it's greater, some years it's less. They interview 800 people so there is 40% - 50% chance that you'll get an acceptance. Be persistent and keep your hopes up!

thegenius

Senior Wharf Rat
        15+ Year Member
        Gold Member
        Jul 12, 2004
        1. Attending Physician
          Oh yea, the admissions committee will meet on December 14th to go over the deferred decision candidates (I received this information from the office.) I encourage you to talk to the staff, they are simply the nicest people I have talked to.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.