Deferring acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

combatwombat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many schools will allow you to defer matriculation for a year if you are accepted? I have searched a few school's websites and not found any info. Do you mostly have to work it out on a school-by-school basis?

Members don't see this ad.

It's school by school. Most of them will let you defer for a year if you have some sort of sudden life change that will require some time, but will not alter your commitment or likelihood to attend the following year and succeed. Examples include serious illness/injury, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, etc.

So I shouldn't apply unless I'm sure I'd be happy to matriculate there in fall of 2010? I do not plan on having any life-changing circumstances but I want to know exactly what my options are

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So I shouldn't apply unless I'm sure I'd be happy to matriculate there in fall of 2010? I do not plan on having any life-changing circumstances but I want to know exactly what my options are

Any adcom/advisor would recommend you not to apply unless you're certain, at this time, that you'll be attending med school after you're accepted. If, for any reason, you know that you may not be, then you'd be advised to wait to apply until you're sure. Applying now wouldn't be worth the hassle and cost of not being allowed to defer, and then having to reapply the next year with a big fat X next to "Mark here if you've ever been accepted to a medical school in the past." Then you have to explain why you didn't end up going and hope they believe that you're sincere about attending this time.

I'm not saying that it's impossible or anything or that you could never get accepted again, but the best thing for most people to do would be to wait to apply until they're ready to matriculate. Just my $.02.

I agree; do not waste your money and apply unless you are ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE you will be attending. The option to defer an acceptance is for people who have experienced unexpected/unplanned occurrences that hinder their ability to attend.

Whether or not a school will consider a deferral request is in the CIB under each school's individual info.

Whether or not a school will consider a deferral request is in the CIB under each school's individual info.

They all say yes except for LECOMs, OSU, PCOMs, and UNECOM, but that doesn't mean it's easy to get one approved. You still have to have extenuating circumstances, unless you're trying at one of those schools, in which case you're SOL.

UNECOM will give you a deferment for a VERY good reason. I'm talking your spouse is dying kind of thing.

I'm in the same situation. I wish to defer a year also. Would it be possible to take the MCAT, get your LOR and everything in order and then a year later apply to the schools you wish to attend? That way you'll have your year off??

If you don't want to go to school this year, don't apply. Not every school will defer. You're better to wait until you are ready to go.

i'm not sure what these ppl are talking about, but most schools let you defer. many of my friends were accepted to med school and then deferred for a year for reasons of wanting to study abroad, travel, etc. it's not THAT hard to get a deferral approved. if you do want to simply travel, you probably shouldn't approach the school with that reason, though haha. you need to come up with a good reason, like wanting to take further studies before you embark on your 7+ year medical education journey. once you get the deferral approved, you can do whatever you want.

i personally wouldn't want to defer ever simply due to the fact that you have so many years of medical education in front of you. I want to finish, not delay any longer!

i'm not sure what these ppl are talking about, but most schools let you defer. many of my friends were accepted to med school and then deferred for a year for reasons of wanting to study abroad, travel, etc. it's not THAT hard to get a deferral approved. if you do want to simply travel, you probably shouldn't approach the school with that reason, though haha. you need to come up with a good reason, like wanting to take further studies before you embark on your 7+ year medical education journey. once you get the deferral approved, you can do whatever you want.

i personally wouldn't want to defer ever simply due to the fact that you have so many years of medical education in front of you. I want to finish, not delay any longer!

I don't think most students defer because they want to but rather because they have to.