• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

Archdelux

10+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
Hello everyone,

I am looking into taking a year between undergrad and med school to do research in another country or travel or something like that. From what I can tell, my two options are to apply to med school normally, and after getting acceptances, request deferment for one year (Is this feasible? Do they actually consider your request, or do they grant deferment to anyone who want it? Can I defer all of my acceptances or only one school? Also, If I do defer, can I apply to other schools the following cycle if I want to go to a school more to my liking?)

Secondly, I could just apply to med schools in the next cycle.

In your experience, what would you recommend? Have any of you taken either route? If so, what do you have to say about the experience?

Thanks!!

gaikokujin

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
New Orleans
Status (Visible)
if you do a search for "deferment" you will find a lot of information about this. I defered for a year to do the JET program (teaching English in Japan). It was definitely the best decision i've ever made and i think taking some time off to do non-school things before med school is essential. some schools will even allow you to defer for 2 years. i think deferment is better than waiting to apply because you already know you have the acceptance under your belt and you don't have to worry about it. also, if you are traveling abroad, the last thing you want is to have to spend 1000's of dollars to fly to interviews.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hello everyone,

I am looking into taking a year between undergrad and med school to do research in another country or travel or something like that. From what I can tell, my two options are to apply to med school normally, and after getting acceptances, request deferment for one year (Is this feasible? Do they actually consider your request, or do they grant deferment to anyone who want it? Can I defer all of my acceptances or only one school? Also, If I do defer, can I apply to other schools the following cycle if I want to go to a school more to my liking?)

In your experience, what would you recommend? Have any of you taken either route? If so, what do you have to say about the experience?

Thanks!!

Probably belongs in pre-allo, and if you do a search you will find hundreds of on point posts on this very topic. A lot of schools do not grant deferment as a matter of right and only will allow it for specific significant circumstances. I wouldn't assume the place you ultimately choose to attend will give you one. And no, you cannot hold multiple acceptances and defer them -- you can only hold one acceptance after mid-May. Check out school websites -- many have their deferment policy. It's probably better to wait to apply- You will have more to put in your PS anyhow. This is not a race.

About the Ads

Polypeptide

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
If you know you want to take a year off wait to apply for the year you actually want to start medical school. Choose the action that reflects your intent.

I took a year off after finishing undergrad. It was an excellent decision for me and I've been accepted to Med School for '07.

drcootie

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I got into UCLA and I'm really thrilled!! but I want to defer, because I was awarded a scholarship in which I can study in Japan for a year. I've decided to accept the scholarship...are you supposed to write a letter to admissions office and if so, when?

should I only request to defer from a school if I'm sure that is my first-choice school? Does Gaikokujin or anyone else have advice? How should I write my letter? Do I have to follow up with phone call or do they not want me calling admissions office?

Sol Rosenberg

Long Live the New Flesh!
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2006
Living in America
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I got into UCLA and I'm really thrilled!! but I want to defer, because I was awarded a scholarship in which I can study in Japan for a year. I've decided to accept the scholarship...are you supposed to write a letter to admissions office and if so, when?

should I only request to defer from a school if I'm sure that is my first-choice school? Does Gaikokujin or anyone else have advice? How should I write my letter? Do I have to follow up with phone call or do they not want me calling admissions office?
Call the admissions office or look at their website to see what the policy is. I've deferred my acceptance until next year, and the policy/procedures for requesting a deferral were clearly posted on my school's admissions website. Request the deferral ASAP. As far as how the school handles the deferral, that is up to the school too. As far as I can tell, my school treats it like the clock simply was turned back a year. I don't have to send a deposit, I don't attend MS0 events for EC 2007, I don't have to apply for financial aid until next year, etc. This is likely to vary by school, of course, which is another reason you should be talking to your admissions office and not us.

avacado

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hello everyone,

Thanks!!

It depends on the school, every one has there own policy. I am in defferal now and will be starting in the fall. I just sent the school a letter with a couple sentences about what I was doing and why I wanted to defer. Then you have to submit AMCAS again the next cycle with your school marked as deffered, but don't have to do the secondary again.
It depends on your situation whether or not to defer and if you will regret what you would have done (either way deffered, or started school); sometimes I wish I had not, but I know its working out or the best. PM if you would like details

goongirl

10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
It totally depends on the school. My school will grant a deferral to anyone who requests one. People have told me they're even supportive if you want to apply to other schools during your year off. The philosophy is that we don't want students who don't want to be here, whether it's b/c of personal issues, the opportunity to travel abroad, or school issues. But like others have said, some schools are much stingier with their deferrals...I wouldn't mention wanting to take one until you have an acceptance in hand.

C

Critical Mass

It totally depends on the school. My school will grant a deferral to anyone who requests one. People have told me they're even supportive if you want to apply to other schools during your year off. The philosophy is that we don't want students who don't want to be here, whether it's b/c of personal issues, the opportunity to travel abroad, or school issues. But like others have said, some schools are much stingier with their deferrals...I wouldn't mention wanting to take one until you have an acceptance in hand.

I like that philosophy. If my school would have let me defer, there is absolutely no question in my mind whatsoever that I would have done it. The only option that they would consider, however, was a medical leave of absence. Unfortunately the only medical problem that I have has to do with me being mentally twisted. That didn't count.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.