define disadvantaged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iololiol

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I wanted to know what are the definitions of being disadvantaged? are there guidelines for income levels? or educational background?

I feel like I may belong to this group even though I am not technically a URM. I am first generation student, neither of my parents finished high school. I grew up going to a school that taught classes in trailers. Additionally, a majority of my life and even now, my family's income has been low for a family of 6. worked all through-out undergrad but gpa around 3.2...havent taken mcats yet.

Any insight? or any further questions that could clear up a better understanding of my background?

If I do belong to the disadvantaged group, does this group also have acceptance rates like URMs?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Wrong Forum if you are pre-phatm as your status shows.... this coming from a URM ... no urm that I know got into medical scholl with a 3.2.

Hi,

I wanted to know what are the definitions of being disadvantaged? are there guidelines for income levels? or educational background?

I feel like I may belong to this group even though I am not technically a URM. I am first generation student, neither of my parents finished high school. I grew up going to a school that taught classes in trailers. Additionally, a majority of my life and even now, my family's income has been low for a family of 6. worked all through-out undergrad but gpa around 3.2...havent taken mcats yet.

Any insight? or any further questions that could clear up a better understanding of my background?

If I do belong to the disadvantaged group, does this group also have acceptance rates like URMs?

Thanks

what was the quality of the education you received in those trailers?
how low was the income?
did you miss out on certain things in high school due to lack of funds/infrastructure?

It's self-designated, so if you feel you can make a decent case for it in writing, go for it.

I can't answer your last question (I fell under both categories).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Thanks

Since your GPA is around a 3.2, you're definitely disadvantaged. If your sGPA > 3.0 or you have a downward trend, you can claim URM status too.

Disadvantaged = not advantaged.

We called them portables not trailers. Made them seem nicer. :) You don't have to be a URM to apply disadvantaged