Defining grades...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rochagurl89

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, from a premed standpoint, how do you perceive these grades (identify each individually and basically say what you think of each and whether or not it is acceptable to you)

Below 3.0 =
3.0 =
3.1 =
3.2 =
3.3 =
3.4 =
3.5 =
3.6 =
3.7 =
3.8 =
3.9 =
4.0 =

A =
A- =
B+ =
B =
B- =
C+ =
C =
Lower than C =

Members don't see this ad.

Below 3.0 =
3.0 = Too low
3.1 = Too low
3.2 = Too low
3.3 = Borderline if expected to matriculate
3.4 = Slightly below average
3.5 = Average
3.6 = Good
3.7 = Excellent
3.8 = Stellar
3.9 = Stellar
4.0 = Stellar

As far as I know, AMCAS only considers A, B, C, etc, no +/-

That is how I view them. Of course, for neurotic SDN'ers, most would probably say 3.5-3.6 is "low"...

Members don't see this ad :)
So, from a premed standpoint, how do you perceive these grades (identify each individually and basically say what you think of each and whether or not it is acceptable to you)

Below 3.0 =
3.0 =
3.1 =
3.2 =
3.3 =
3.4 =
3.5 =
3.6 =
3.7 =
3.8 =
3.9 =
4.0 =

A =
A- =
B+ =
B =
B- =
C+ =
C =
Lower than C =
Huh?

Below 3.0 =mcdonalds
3.0 = goodbye med school
3.1 = horrible
3.2 = bad
3.3 = theres still hope
3.4 = at least I'll get into grad school if I get rejected from a MD or OD program
3.5 = eh
3.6 = above average but still needs improvement.
3.7 = nice. I'll make it after all
3.8 = Great I feel good about my self
3.9 = I'm a freakn' genius
4.0 = I'm perfect

A = :D
A- = :D
B+ = :)
B = :idea:
B- =:(
C+ = :(
C = :eek:
Lower than C =:scared:

My responses are for my own tastes only. I have, like most of us, a couple of crappy entries on my transcript. I realize that lots o' Bs or even several Cs on a transcript are not always indicative of someone not getting far in "the game."

Friggin' disclaimers.

Below 3.0 = "Below 3.0" = C. No thanks.
3.0 - 3.3 = Ruh roh.
3.4 = Not bad, sparky.
3.5 = Cum laude territory at many universities. Good for you.
3.6 = Solid grade.
3.7 = Just north of the AAMC's reported matriculant average GPA. Again, good for you.
3.8 = Nicely done.
3.9 = Summa cum laude at many schools (like mine); reflects an absolute minimum of non-As on transcripts. Several tenths above average.
4.0 = Either you had no life or you had a life and just knew your **** (or could test well). Either way, congrats on the numbers.

Below 3.0 = unacceptable
3.0 = really really bad
3.1 = really quite bad
3.2 = bad
3.3 = should have worked harder
3.4 = not so great
3.5 = about average
3.6 = okay
3.7 = looking good
3.8 = very nice
3.9 = excellent
4.0 = suspicious

A = great
A- = good
B+ = meh
B = less facebook, more reading
B- = barely scraping by
C+ = really bad
C = really, really bad
Lower than C = unacceptable
$0.02

I love how so many of us find something... amiss about a 4.0. :laugh:

like you articulated in yours, i think it calls into question either 1) the school, 2) the major, or 3) the individual's priorities

then again, my grades weren't all that great :oops:

If I had a 4.0 all the way through undergrad, I would purposely get an A-/ B+ in a class just so I would not have that 4.0 on my transcript.

umm..are you sure you're in med school..?:p:D;)

Sorry hon' but I just cannot imagine the point of this thread, and I'm surprised you've gotten as many responses as you did.

Sorry hon' but I just cannot imagine the point of this thread, and I'm surprised you've gotten as many responses as you did.

boredom, the only reason i ever post on SDN :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So, from a premed standpoint

Below 3.0 = Failure
3.0 = Failure
3.1 = Failure
3.2 = Failure
3.3 = Failure
3.4 = Failure
3.5 = Failure
3.6 = Failure
3.7 = Oh, I remember seeing this one. Failure.
3.8 = Failure
3.9 = Failure
4.0 = WHAT A MASSIVE FAILURE OMG YOU HAVE NO LIFE JESUS UGH YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE AN AWFUL DOCTOR I BET YOU NEVER LEFT YOUR ROOM I BET YOU HAVE NO SOCIAL SKILLS AND WILL FAIL YOUR INTERVIEW WOW WHAT A GUNNER FAILURE.
From a pre-med standpoint, of course.

Below 3.0 = Life is going to suck

3.0 = Life is going to suck

3.1 = Can someone link me to a post-bacc site, so I can enter DO school

3.2 = With a good MCAT, i'll be getting into DO

3.3 = I'm going to have to be satisfied with a DO

3.4 = At least I'll probably be getting into a DO school!

3.5 = No longer satisfied with DO, looking for a good post-bacc

3.6 = Probably still looking for a post-bacc (my ugrad isn't that great), maybe I can pull off some great ECs and MCAT

3.7 = Feeling alright, at least I'll end up in med school one of these cycles

3.8 = Hrmmm... could be worse, hopefully I can get into my state school. WOOT!

3.9 = My goal, confident about the cycle and I'm satisfied/content with my performance. Med school really IS going to happen, no matter what now!

4.0 = Clearly anyone with a 4.00 is socially ******ed and lacks a life. I must spend the next 5 days thinking about how they are inept in other aspects so I don't feel so incompetent myself. Wait.. maybe they are just better than me :(

A = :idea:
A- = :)
B+ = :confused:
B = :scared:
B- = :mad:
C+ = :eek:
C = :eek::eek:
Lower than C = :hardy:

I love how so many of us find something... amiss about a 4.0. :laugh:

Some people are just strong academically without having to sacrifice life or challenge.

Some people are just strong academically without having to sacrifice life or challenge.

... and they go to Mickey Mouse U and major in "Nap Time."

... and they go to Mickey Mouse U and major in "Nap Time."

Or they go to a major university, take honors courses, and take courses with professors who try to weed out the premeds, and take lots of upper level courses to broaden their knowledge base and still succeed without sacrificing life. How? By knowing what to learn and how to learn it.

I think that knowing other pre-meds have 4.00s just makes us feel inferior. We try to justify why they have 4.00s and we don't, but the reality is that we are completely envious and would sacrifice a lot to have a 4.00.

I think that knowing other pre-meds have 4.00s just makes us feel inferior. We try to justify why they have 4.00s and we don't, but the reality is that we are completely envious and would sacrifice a lot to have a 4.00.

Lot of truth to this, but I actually wouldn't.

I regret many things about my undergraduate times.

Being so close to, but shy of, a 4.0 isn't actually one of them.

Below 3.0 =mcdonalds
3.0 = goodbye med school
3.1 = horrible
3.2 = bad
3.3 = theres still hope
3.4 = at least I'll get into grad school if I get rejected from a MD or OD program
3.5 = eh
3.6 = above average but still needs improvement.
3.7 = nice. I'll make it after all
3.8 = Great I feel good about my self
3.9 = I'm a freakn' genius
4.0 = I'm perfect

A = :D
A- = :D
B+ = :)
B = :idea:
B- =:(
C+ = :(
C = :eek:
Lower than C =:scared:

What colleges give B+ or B-?

I am from UW-Madison and we have A, AB, B, BC, C, etc.?

Below 3.0 = You didn't try
3.0 = I hope you didn't try
3.1 = Are you even trying?
3.2 = I sure hope not...
3.3 = B+ ... respectable; not going to cut it
3.4 = I hope you're a minority or something.
3.5 = B+/ A- ... you're not "gifted" smart but intelligent enough to be a doc if you continue to work hard.
3.6 = Are you legit but just had a bad semester?
3.7 = A- is where it's at. If I was smart enough to get a 4.0 by exerting, um 90% effort, I would chill out and take that 3.7.
3.8 = You're the cream of the crop.
3.9 = " " " " " " " " "
4.0 = This just means you have OCD, social phobia, or some other disorder that results in overstudying.

A = Baaallllllin
A- = You're awesome
B+ = Cool, but not good enough.
B = Hope you
B- = were not
C+ = tr
C = yin
Lower than C = g

3.4=> Minority, wow, that is like a dis...well, i know of folks who aren't minorities that got in Med. School with 3.2-3.5 b/c of ECs or MCAT!

I like how this thread is being used. I like all of the posts.

How about:

A na lalalala
A- n lala wha wat
B+ finding nearest tall building
B N/A

3.4=> Minority, wow, that is like a dis...well, i know of folks who aren't minorities that got in Med. School with 3.2-3.5 b/c of ECs or MCAT!

Ditto - My friend just got into Harvard with a 3.5 - another friend just got into pritzker with a 3.4. Both are not URMs. Med schools get so many 3.7+, 32+ MCATs these days. Yet, according to UMich's admission's director, Dr. Luiz, a 3.2 BCPM and 26 MCAT is sufficient to finish any med school (this is according to an online chat room correspondence - I forget the site, addmissions.com or something), but that is not the point. The point is that almost everyone who applies is qualified to be a doc. if you can get a B+ ave. in sci. and above a 26 MCAT, you should be able to pass the USMLE. So how are med schools going to differentiate between all of these capable applicants? Tey are going to use things like ECs and LORs at that point to separate people out, because its the only way these days. The best thing you can do in my opinion is to show a genuine passion for medicine in what ever manner you are capable. You will succeed against the 3.7+ students who don't have the same apparent passion. Still though low grades might **** you in the end. But don't worry. If you are truely passionate and capable, a med school will see it. At least in my experience with my friends. Still though bet above a 3.5 - it will make life much easier.

"As far as I know, AMCAS only considers A, B, C, etc, no +/-"

Soo..does that mean that my A-'s would just count as an A? Wouldn't that really change gpas? Does it just balance out since a B+ would be pushed down to a B? Isn't this kind of unfair?:confused:

Man, this sounds like homework.

At my undergrad, if you had a 4.0 at the end of your first year they sent you a "Get A Life" letter where they recommend you do something other than just homework with your time. I fully support this philosophy.

Ditto - My friend just got into Harvard with a 3.5 - another friend just got into pritzker with a 3.4. Both are not URMs. Med schools get so many 3.7+, 32+ MCATs these days. Yet, according to UMich's admission's director, Dr. Luiz, a 3.2 BCPM and 26 MCAT is sufficient to finish any med school (this is according to an online chat room correspondence - I forget the site, addmissions.com or something), but that is not the point. The point is that almost everyone who applies is qualified to be a doc. if you can get a B+ ave. in sci. and above a 26 MCAT, you should be able to pass the USMLE. So how are med schools going to differentiate between all of these capable applicants? Tey are going to use things like ECs and LORs at that point to separate people out, because its the only way these days. The best thing you can do in my opinion is to show a genuine passion for medicine in what ever manner you are capable. You will succeed against the 3.7+ students who don't have the same apparent passion. Still though low grades might **** you in the end. But don't worry. If you are truely passionate and capable, a med school will see it. At least in my experience with my friends. Still though bet above a 3.5 - it will make life much easier.

I have to agree with this.

I personally know many people (a few are family members) who have been accepted with 3.2 - 3.5's, usually to their state schools.

The premeds here are quite obsessive and a little out of touch with reality when it comes to GPA and MCAT scores.

I mean, I think somone listed above that if you have a 3.4, you better hope you're a URM.

Please.

At my undergrad, if you had a 4.0 at the end of your first year they sent you a "Get A Life" letter where they recommend you do something other than just homework with your time. I fully support this philosophy.

lol. now thats the school! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Or they go to a major university, take honors courses, and take courses with professors who try to weed out the premeds, and take lots of upper level courses to broaden their knowledge base and still succeed without sacrificing life. How? By knowing what to learn and how to learn it.

... and had no close friends, no social life, and no sexual experience whatsoever.

people at "major universities" with "real majors" who get 4.0s are some of the most vile, selfish, grade-whoring stereotypical antisocialites imaginable. they fulfill every one of the negative pre-med stereotypes, and usually a lot of the negative stereotypes of humanity.

why are you going to bat for these people? were you one of them?

Sigh. Apparently I wasn't trying.... which, well, kinda is true.

I mean, I figured being perfectly average at one of the top five schools in the country would be sufficient. I mean, come on. I wasn't even pre-med at the time, so grades didn't matter to my future job as an engineer. I guess getting a B in quantum physics means I'm a loser.

Sorry folks! I'll just go cry in my soup.

[3.1 and accepted]

The only time in all of undergrad that I did something school-related on a Friday or Saturday night was a handful (about 5 or so) of occasions when I had to work on a paper. I spent my time gallivanting around campus, at the gym, or playing ridiculous amounts of counterstrike, team fortress, and starcraft with the guys in my suite. Worked out for me. The key is knowing what you need to know and knowing how to learn it.

Edit: I also took time to tutor other students in chemistry and spent a lot of time helping friends in my classes understand material better if I had already gotten it down pat. I never once cheated and I never once did anything to gain an unfair advantage or lower another's grade.

I mean, I figured being perfectly average at one of the top five schools in the country would be sufficient. I mean, come on. I wasn't even pre-med at the time, so grades didn't matter to my future job as an engineer. I guess getting a B in quantum physics means I'm a loser.

[3.1 and accepted]

Awww...no don't do that. A B isn't the end of the world especially in a hard class like quantum physics. I never took quantum physics but I took quantum chemistry and it was tough...professor was overly demanding.

... and had no close friends, no social life, and no sexual experience whatsoever.

people at "major universities" with "real majors" who get 4.0s are some of the most vile, selfish, grade-whoring stereotypical antisocialites imaginable. they fulfill every one of the negative pre-med stereotypes, and usually a lot of the negative stereotypes of humanity.

why are you going to bat for these people? were you one of them?

You're in need of some serious soul-searching. The other people I knew with 4.0s were among the most well-adjusted, kind, wonderful people in my life and continue to be. The ones I've met in medical school are the same. As it turns out, people can be more successful than you in one facet of their lives without being less successful in others.

[3.1 and accepted]

3.1 and accpeted to an MD school?

"As far as I know, AMCAS only considers A, B, C, etc, no +/-"

Soo..does that mean that my A-'s would just count as an A? Wouldn't that really change gpas? Does it just balance out since a B+ would be pushed down to a B? Isn't this kind of unfair?:confused:

Someone else can verify this, but AMCAS does consider all plusses and minuses EXCEPT an A+...no extra quality points given for those...

Yup, accepted out-of-state to an MD school in the top 25.

Guess life experience DOES count for something.

wow. cool. your EC's must have been off the charts; not to mention your MCAT score.

Seriously guys, are you really saying a 4.0 is a 4.0? That a 4.0 is the same at MIT as at Podunk U? That a 4.0 in "general studies" is the same as 4.0 in chemical engineering?

Getting a 4.0 is easy. Go to an easy school, take easy classes, beg your teacher for extra credit. Voila.

Getting a 4.0 CAN be hard. Go to a hard school, take advanced classes, work your butt off.

The Adcoms know the difference. Don't insult their intelligence.

Below 3.0 = too low
3.0 = too low
3.1 = too low
3.2 = too low
3.3 = SMP
3.4 = would put you at bottom 10% at most med schools
3.5 = 50/50 shot
3.6 = eh
3.7 = average
3.8 = good
3.9 = great, start thinking about top tier schools
4.0 = not even an A-?

Well I decided to make a graphical representation of satisfaction vs GPA, based on the general consensus that around 3.8/3.9 is ideal and 4.0 is terrible because it means you have no life:
gpa.jpg

Enjoy.

Below 3.0 = too low
3.0 = too low
3.1 = too low
3.2 = too low
3.3 = SMP
3.4 = would put you at bottom 10% at most med schools
3.5 = 50/50 shot
3.6 = eh
3.7 = average
3.8 = good
3.9 = great, start thinking about top tier schools
4.0 = not even an A-?

Isn't a 50/50 shot more accurately placed at the median matriculant 3.7 mark?

The 3.5 to 3.6 GPA range is a real tough zone to fall in - well below the median matriculant range, but above the usual SMP applicant. Below 3.5, people need to look hard at an SMP...and maybe even up to around 3.6...

You're in need of some serious soul-searching. The other people I knew with 4.0s were among the most well-adjusted, kind, wonderful people in my life and continue to be. The ones I've met in medical school are the same. As it turns out, people can be more successful than you in one facet of their lives without being less successful in others.

Thanks, Dr. Phil, but I understand the way the game is played. Not saying you and your friends were all soul-suckers; it's far more likely that you benefited from grade stagflation.

Well I decided to make a graphical representation of satisfaction vs GPA, based on the general consensus that around 3.8/3.9 is ideal and 4.0 is terrible because it means you have no life:
gpa.jpg

Enjoy.

lol. perfect.

Someone else can verify this, but AMCAS does consider all plusses and minuses EXCEPT an A+...no extra quality points given for those...

yes, in my experience this is correct.

what's wrong with a 4.0? you do realize that the process of becoming a doctor is highly academic, and requires unreasonable amounts of studying, right? Yes, the practice of medicine requires social skills too, but you don't need to be sacraficing your gpa to develop (or prove your possession of) those skills.

what's wrong with a 4.0? you do realize that the process of becoming a doctor is highly academic, and requires unreasonable amounts of studying, right? Yes, the practice of medicine requires social skills too, but you don't need to be sacraficing your gpa to develop (or prove your possession of) those skills.

it's not that there's anything wrong with a 4.0, but having one is either a very poor comment on a student's school, or a very poor comment on that person's academic curiosity (read: they took only courses that would not hurt their GPA, begged and battered for points, etc.), or a very poor comment on that person's priorities or life experience.

furthermore, i don't agree with you - an "unreasonable" amount of studying is the third flaw i pointed out. the overwhelming majority of medical students become physicians without engaging in an "unreasonable" amount of studying.

it's not that there's anything wrong with a 4.0, but having one is either a very poor comment on a student's school, or a very poor comment on that person's academic curiosity (read: they took only courses that would not hurt their GPA, begged and battered for points, etc.), or a very poor comment on that person's priorities or life experience.

for the first concern, there is the MCAT. the second concern is speculation. the third concern makes no sense--focusing on academics is a poor priority? What is 'life' experience, anyway?