Definition of an ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen WAMC posters in recent months increasingly refer to themselves as "ORM" when in fact they are white. Caucasians are not an ORM because by definition ORM = "over-represented minority." White applicants are the majority, and therefore not inclusive within this category. Generally ORM refers to various groups within the Asian community.

Early morning rant over. Proceed.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought ORM meant over represented in medicine

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Caucasians are not overrepresented in medicine by population proportions. Only some Asian communities are.

Could've sworn the faculty at several schools that I know don't interpret URM/ORM this way though.

Caucasians are not overrepresented in medicine by population proportions. Only some Asian communities are.

Could've sworn the faculty at several schools that I know don't interpret URM/ORM this way though.
This is also correct. Whites are not really considered anything, though by proportion they are technically underrepresented due to the high number of Asians in medicine.