Definition of Making Bank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is "Bank"?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Your definition of making bank, 3-4 years post-residency is...

Members don't see this ad.

I would have voted for a range, but I guess you could view it as min level to be making bank.

djmd said:
I would have voted for a range, but I guess you could view it as min level to be making bank.

Minimal level, the top end of "bank" is obviously 1+ gazillion dollars.

PS-I decided today to only allow Led Zeppelin to be played in the lab. The ipod is currently at Led Zep III, Tangerine, on the Bose Ipod doc. I now believe that LZ can lead to great accuracy in pathologic diagnoses. Im writing a paper to Archives later this afternoon describing this study.

ledzeppelin.jpg

PS2- This is for baby pathologists and future pathologists only, please dont respond if you are family med or peds as you will skew this data too far down.

Members don't see this ad :)
LADoc00 said:
PS2- This is for baby pathologists and future pathologists only, please dont respond if you are family med or peds as you will skew this data too far down.

:laugh: Fmed - "I'm making bank! I made over $90k!"

I would have voted for $300k +, so I went with the next best option. This is not to say, of course, that $200k or above is a bad salary - but it is also not bank.

If you can set up a dermpath only situation, and I don't mean one where a derm group is sending you business and then taking a cut or one where you are working for US labs, I don't see how anything less than 750K can be considered bank.

dermpathlover said:
If you can set up a dermpath only situation, and I don't mean one where a derm group is sending you business and then taking a cut or one where you are working for US labs, I don't see how anything less than 750K can be considered bank.

Ummm, dude you are WAY dreaming, some people do get to this level, but competition is way the hell too stiff to do this. You are talking AT LEAST 12,000+ 88305s/year. Good luck. That **** doesnt grow on trees.

Making 2x more than what your neighbor is making....so live in a cheap neighborhood! :laugh:

Why does this thread have over 1,000 views? Is it cross linked with the pre-allo forum? Or, more likely, are this many people into medicine for the $$$. ;)

yaah said:
Why does this thread have over 1,000 views? Is it cross linked with the pre-allo forum? Or, more likely, are this many people into medicine for the $$$. ;)

I did it all for the nookie. :D

I'm doing an elective right now in a midwestern medical examiner's office and one of the AP guys said that the CP guys make about $300k to $800k (depending), while the AP guys who do forensics all day "top out" at $150k. Do these numbers seem right to you guys?

On a somewhat unrelated note, I have to say that I am not hugely impressed with forensic pathology as of yet. It seems to me that the lion's share of cases they do are natural death cases for which the attending physician was simply too chicken-$hit to certify a cause of death. Maybe I'm too green, but it seems to me that autopsies can get old, fast.

Judd

wow. been awhile since i've posted here :)

i did an ME rotation at the Oklahoma State ME's office. it was a sweet rotation for medschool. i enjoyed the hell out of it. but yes, as government employees they cap out at the mid 150's i think. but it's office work, 8-4, with scattered call.

and yes-- a lot of our cases were run of the mill stuff and unattended deaths. even the car-b-que victims and the like were all "viewers" where the cause of death was human vs physics, and the physics won. i found it interesting how many people crak in their bathrooms-- apparently when people feel like **** (ie, about to die) they feel like that is the place to go. that or they all vagal down and have MI's while crappin'.

the murder cases were fun. not only in the "CSI is complete BS" way but in how they go through everything medical-legally. even testifying in court i found fun. in the end i just couldn't hang up the stethoscope for path. i was weak.

--your friendly neighborhood almost a path convert caveman

yaah said:

When LADOC talks, people listen.

Its that simple.

Members don't see this ad :)
juddson said:
I'm doing an elective right now in a midwestern medical examiner's office and one of the AP guys said that the CP guys make about $300k to $800k (depending), while the AP guys who do forensics all day "top out" at $150k. Do these numbers seem right to you guys?

On a somewhat unrelated note, I have to say that I am not hugely impressed with forensic pathology as of yet. It seems to me that the lion's share of cases they do are natural death cases for which the attending physician was simply too chicken-$hit to certify a cause of death. Maybe I'm too green, but it seems to me that autopsies can get old, fast.

Judd

No, there was a time in the not so distant past when CP got a CUT of the total gross of a clinical lab. Im talking like 25% right off the top, and in some cases that was in the millions(!! BIG pimping). That was changed in the 80s and is now essentially non-existent. Try more like a CP directorship fee in the 100-150 range for a standard 150 bed hospital. Forensics is total and utter crap. I would wish it on my worst enemy. Especially in communities where the sheriff dept admins it, you are treated like **** and paid it to!

juddson said:
one of the AP guys said that the CP guys make about $300k to $800k (depending), while the AP guys who do forensics all day "top out" at $150k.

Another example of the "outside of this field" lack of knowledge.. (that or like LADoc says it is dated.. used to be but no more)

Forensics, that sounds abotu right. No one goes into Forensics for money, it is either love of forensics, or chronicly otherwise unemployable...

LADoc00 said:
No, there was a time in the not so distant past when CP got a CUT of the total gross of a clinical lab. Im talking like 25% right off the top, and in some cases that was in the millions(!! BIG pimping). That was changed in the 80s and is now essentially non-existent. Try more like a CP directorship fee in the 100-150 range for a standard 150 bed hospital. Forensics is total and utter crap. I would wish it on my worst enemy. Especially in communities where the sheriff dept admins it, you are treated like **** and paid it to!

Get out of town!!! A clinical path guy can only make in the 100k to 150k range?

If these numbers are true, then forensics are looking better and better. It's 8-4 and no call for the same money (and no liability at all). Does anybody else want to contradict the numbers above?

Judd

juddson said:

If these numbers are true, then forensics are looking better and better. It's 8-4 and no call for the same money (and no liability at all). Does anybody else want to contradict the numbers above?

Judd

huh, you are comparing CP only to Forensics??

That is like betting on a fight between 2 ******s.

juddson said:

Judd

What is your definition of a clinical path guy? Just a hunch, but it sounds like you might be confused.

LADoc00 said:
huh, you are comparing CP only to Forensics??

That is like betting on a fight between 2 ******s.

Yeah, I wonder if he thinks a clinical pathologist is the person signing out surgicals and doing "clinical" work.

CameronFrye said:
Yeah, I wonder if he thinks a clinical pathologist is the person signing out surgicals and doing "clinical" work.

There is serious confusion here, I agree.

OKAY

Forensics....................120-150,000
CP director Full time......150,000
Blood Bank/TM.............175,000
Surgical Pathology........250,000
Hemepath...................275,000
Dermpath.................. 350,000

that would 2-3 years post fellowship im my estimates.

The thing is, most people who do CP only are in either academia or in a non-profit situation like Red Cross. There are occasionally CP mavens who start their own labs, run lots of esoteric tests, become a reference lab, and laugh all the way to the bank. But this is not easy.

And in general, academic jobs and non profit jobs pay less, like $120k per year starting, up to $150-180 as a full professor. This is true if you are a surgical pathologist or a microbiologist.

Okay this is all wrong. They are all misleading you very badly. In my experience all pathologists make around 80k and the max you can make in path is about 100k. Keep in mind you will be working 120hrs a week and will have to divorce your spouse and sleep in the street. Oh and I think most pathologists die at around age 55 as well.

Sad but true. If you're thinking about path you should probably reconsider. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

OK,

I see now I had it ass-backwards. Thanks for setting me straight.

Judd

LADoc00 said:
There is serious confusion here, I agree.

OKAY

Forensics....................120-150,000
CP director Full time......150,000
Blood Bank/TM.............175,000
Surgical Pathology........250,000
Hemepath...................275,000
Dermpath.................. 350,000

that would 2-3 years post fellowship im my estimates.

Does that mean you are getting paid by a private group? What about when you are a partner and split all even steven? Then what do you pull?

dermpathlover said:
Does that mean you are getting paid by a private group? What about when you are a partner and split all even steven? Then what do you pull?

There is only a HANDFUL of people in the layercake that are pulling over 500K. Im talking a handful, literally in one of the most populous states in the nation, I know nearly every single name. That's how rare it is in pathology, be it derm or otherwise.