Definition of Published

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Entirecropslost

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't believe I'm asking this but what is the definition of published (ie I did research and was published). When ppl say this I always assume that means you submitted to a journal and it was published in that journal. But it seems like other ppl talk about published abstracts? And that having an abstract in a broucher at some conference is "published" even though you really only gave a talk. Thanks for any help !

Members don't see this ad.

Entirecropslost said:
I can't believe I'm asking this but what is the definition of published (ie I did research and was published). When ppl say this I always assume that means you submitted to a journal and it was published in that journal. But it seems like other ppl talk about published abstracts? And that having an abstract in a broucher at some conference is "published" even though you really only gave a talk. Thanks for any help !

i think your definition is correct... it is kinda reaching to talk about a published abstract. You can talk about a poster presentation but that is not a publication. When I was applying I had an article submitted but not yet published... i couldn't put it on AMCAS. That hurt. But when it came out I submitted copies to all my schools.

Publications are usually defined as peer-reviewed scientific articles. A good litmus test is to look up the article on pubmed. If it shows up, it is a publication. Publishing an abstract, while a publication and a commendable credit to your resume, is not the same thing. You can certainly pimp your abstracts though, especially if it was a national meeting.

Presentations at national meetings usually undergo peer review to be selected for presentation. The abstracts for some annual meetings are published in the journal after the meeting in addition to being in the program book. That does provide a citiation (journal, date, page #) although it is often a page number with the letter A before the number to indicate that it is part of the abstract section.

Call it a presentation and be done with it but bring a copy of the abstract as it appeared in the program book or journal when you interview, or send it in to add to your file when you are waitlisted.