Definition of Science GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oral DJ Surgeon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the definition of Science GPA?

Do they mean gpa of the introductory science classes that are prerequirements to admission or gpa of all the science classes that you have taken?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.adea.org/AADSASapp/Instructions/GPA-calculations.aspx

as long as it's a college course that's classified as a biology, chemistry, physics, other science, or math course it'll be calculated into your science GPA. If you took those intro science classes in college, they'll be calculated into your science GPA. They also do a BCP for just your biology, chemistry, and physics courses. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
http://www.adea.org/AADSASapp/Instructions/GPA-calculations.aspx

as long as it's a college course that's classified as a biology, chemistry, physics, other science, or math course it'll be calculated into your science GPA. If you took those intro science classes in college, they'll be calculated into your science GPA. They also do a BCP for just your biology, chemistry, and physics courses. Hope this helps!

First of all thanks!

I think "other science" made it vague for me haha... so I guess any science classes count!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yup! Even if it's fundamentals to chemistry/biology (or whatever science classified class you maybe questioning).

HOWEVER remember that social sciences (economics, sociology, psychology, etc) do NOT count. unfortunately :(

HOWEVER remember that social sciences (economics, sociology, psychology, etc) do NOT count. unfortunately :(

When dentalschools say that they look at your "science gpa", are they referring to BCP gpa or the literal science gpa?

In addition, does genome classes (literally called Genome 237 etc. not biology but implied???) count as biology?

When dentalschools say that they look at your "science gpa", are they referring to BCP gpa or the literal science gpa?

In addition, does genome classes (literally called Genome 237 etc. not biology but implied???) count as biology?
When they report science GPA it is with the 'other science' included- not just BCP.

I'm sure that would be included with biology. Every undergraduate institution has different department names and they take that into consideration.

I would list it as such since it is nearly implied, AADSAS will manually change anything if they believe it doesn't follow their provided guidelines.

Dental Schools look at both, but the one that is usually given as an average is the one that includes math courses (science GPA), unless they note that it's the BCP GPA reported. Genome in my opinion would definitely count as a biology course. AADSAS doesn't only consider the course classification, they look at the name of the course as well. I took an epidemiology course under the public health division at my undergrad and they considered that a biology course so it was calculated under my BCP GPA.

So I just came across this. Hope it helps!

Attachments

• AADSAS Course Subjects 2015_071414.pdf
    103.6 KB · Views: 45
Would oceanography 201 count towards the science gpa dental schools look at?

If you look at the document it's listed under "other sciences"…in other words it'll count for your sGPA but not your BCP GPA