Degree display

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjackord

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! This is a random question, but what degrees do y’all hang in your office? I’ve got my phd and my license to practice… but I also have two masters (a terminal in a related field to my doctorate and my non-terminal from my doctorate) and two bachelors degrees sitting in my closet. Does anyone ever hang those or are they just kinda moot?

Members don't see this ad.

I hang my doctorate, internship certificate, fellowship certificate, license, and board cert. For me, the only reason I'd hang my bachelor's would be to irk some of the college football fans around here.

Edit: I should note that I've worked with multiple providers (e.g., psychiatrists, psychologists) who displayed their bachelor's degree, so I wouldn't say it's unusual.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I hang all my degrees (bachelor’s in psychology, bachelor’s in nursing, master’s in nursing and doctorate in clinical psychology) as well as my psychology and nursing licenses, and internship, postdoc and board certification certificates as they are all relevant to my practice.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, so it sounds like it’s pretty typical to just put the majority up then. Thank you! 😊

I put them all up....including my Trapeze School certificate that my father framed as a joke. :laugh: The Trapeze one has sat on my shelf for years, only a few patients have noticed it and asked.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I'll be the outlier, I put none of mine up. They are all sitting in their respective envelopes stacked neatly in a corner. I'll get to it someday.

Reactions: 6 users
I am a weirdo and don’t hang anything personal in my office, including my degrees. I do display my doctoral degree in my home, in like an office area I have. I see it as like, the degree is mine, and I earned it, so in my home it shall remain.

Last edited:
Reading all of these, I am happy I’m not the only one that chose not to hang it up at work!!

Reactions: 1 user
I put them all up....including my Trapeze School certificate that my father framed as a joke. :laugh: The Trapeze one has sat on my shelf for years, only a few patients have noticed it and asked.

Your father knows how to celebrate the important accomplishments! Second best framed accomplishment I know of thus far.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all! This is a random question, but what degrees do y’all hang in your office? I’ve got my phd and my license to practice… but I also have two masters (a terminal in a related field to my doctorate and my non-terminal from my doctorate) and two bachelors degrees sitting in my closet. Does anyone ever hang those or are they just kinda moot?

I have all of mine hanging up. Two undergrads, two masters, doctorate, both licenses, and internship diploma.

Your father knows how to celebrate the important accomplishments! Second best framed accomplishment I know of thus far.
What's the first?

For folks considering not hanging anything (which gives more space for cool posters, to be sure), just be sure to check your state's regulations; some may require that you at least display your license (although that doesn't mean you need to hang/frame it, per se).

Edit: This also got me thinking, I wonder if it's more or less common to display degrees in certain settings. For example, I could see it maybe being more common in PP where you're having to market yourself a bit, and to also allay concerns with potential patients about your training and credentials. Conversely, in a large hospital setting, there may not be as much pull to put them up, since you're kind of vetted already by being an employee there and having "So and So, Ph.D./Psy.D." on your office door.

Reactions: 1 users
For folks considering not hanging anything (which gives more space for cool posters, to be sure), just be sure to check your state's regulations; some may require that you at least display your license (although that doesn't mean you need to hang/frame it, per se).

Edit: This also got me thinking, I wonder if it's more or less common to display degrees in certain settings. For example, I could see it maybe being more common in PP where you're having to market yourself a bit, and to also allay concerns with potential patients about your training and credentials. Conversely, in a large hospital setting, there may not be as much pull to put them up, since you're kind of vetted already by being an employee there and having "So and So, Ph.D./Psy.D." on your office door.
Exactly the reasoning behind why I hang them all up. Every little bit of trust building helps.

Exactly the reasoning behind why I hang them all up. Every little bit of trust building helps.

In a practice I owned, I would likely hang them up. No one can see my degrees, I may move the art on the wall in my home office and have them in the background for my video sessions in the future.

I do it mainly for the fact of my ego. Some slight narcissistic tendencies of mine I am indulging. Also, my state(s) I am licensed in do require at least the doctorate and license to be displayed where I am practicing.

I haven't hung up any of mine and have no plans to. They all live in a box in the back of the closet.

Institutions will mail you a duplicate of your diploma if you’re willing to pay for it, so you can have it in as many offices as you like

I wish we got belt buckles like bronc riders.

How does that work with multiple offices? You carry them around?

Wait, you don't carry your diplomas around with you? I just assumed everyone did.

With regard to state license, I know several stated offer a photo ID version for an additional cost.

I have mini-photo copies in my wallet and I lay them out on the table like poker or tarot cards.

I'll trade you a successfully completed APA internship for an OH license. I have doubles, so why not trade?

• Haha
Wait, you don't carry your diplomas around with you? I just assumed everyone did.

With regard to state license, I know several stated offer a photo ID version for an additional cost.
We have tiny ones meant for our wallets, but, no photo. I need to find a time and place to flash the wallet sized license sometime...

My parents would sooner send me a photocopy with a blatantly sharpie forged signature of my degrees than allow me to take it from home at this point in time.

• Haha
We have to share / rotate offices in both the psych dept at the college and doing clinical work at the hospital. So I need to carry everything with me for the day, every day. Sucks.
First image that popped in my head was a doctor running from room to room struggling to not drop their briefcase and framed diplomas. :rofl:

I've had an office sometimes over the years, would usually just display my Masters and Doctorate. And license once I received one. I don't even think I have a undergrad degree framed anywhere, lost the last one in a move.

In my office I have my BS and Ph.D., as well as my BCBA certificate displayed, with my licensure cards tucked into the corner of the frames. Also have artwork of a puppy, whale, and birds, plus a triptych of fanciful aliens and some frames into whic I can insert client artwork. Non-terminal MS not displayed. Interrnship certificate has an annoying typo on it, so that's in my desk drawer too.

My parents would sooner send me a photocopy with a blatantly sharpie forged signature of my degrees than allow me to take it from home at this point in time.
I have the "double doctor" desk nameplate my mom gave me when I graduated- "Dr. ClinicalABA, Ph.D." She was a little bit proud of her boy!

Do y'all know people who list every degree they have ever earned in their subject lines? There are a ton of people from the closed down diploma mill who have a signature line of "Dr. Shady McFakeDoctor, Bsc, MA, PsyD, LP" or something to that effect.

You're not supposed to list both. The first time you use it in a written piece and at the signatory line, It's FIRSTNAME LASTNAME, DEGREE. Every other time, it's DR. LASTNAME.

Unless it's in a social setting in the USA. Then in super formal settings like a white tie or morning dress, it's always Mr/Mrs/Ms. In semiformal settings like black tie, it's either Dr or Mr/Mrs/Ms. Unless you use "esq", which is never used with Mr/Mrs/Ms. Male before female, unless the female partner is of higher social rank.

Outside of the USA, it's titles by rank. IIRC, Dr is after clergy.

You're not supposed to list both. The first time you use it in a written piece and at the signatory line, It's FIRSTNAME LASTNAME, DEGREE. Every other time, it's DR. LASTNAME.

Unless it's in a social setting in the USA. Then in super formal settings like a white tie or morning dress, it's always Mr/Mrs/Ms. In semiformal settings like black tie, it's either Dr or Mr/Mrs/Ms. Unless you use "esq", which is never used with Mr/Mrs/Ms. Male before female, unless the female partner is of higher social rank.

Outside of the USA, it's titles by rank. IIRC, Dr is after clergy.

The only thing I want to know is do you own a morning coat and a top hat?

The only thing I want to know is do you own a morning coat and a top hat?

gene wilder tuxedo GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

I only list my two separate graduate degrees. Rule of thumb is that if you have more than one graduate degree and they are in different fields, then it's appropriate to list them, like M.D., Ph.D. or M.D., M.P.H. For me, I list Psy.D., M.S. as I have a professional doctorate plus my master's in cognitive neuroscience.

Do y'all know people who list every degree they have ever earned in their subject lines? There are a ton of people from the closed down diploma mill who have a signature line of "Dr. Shady McFakeDoctor, Bsc, MA, PsyD, LP" or something to that effect.

Yeah, I've seen this a lot, or, they will list their Psy.D. and M.S. even tho the M.S. was earned en route to the Psy.D. It boggles my mind. It's completely acceptable and widely practiced to list graduate degrees from separate fields, or if you have a professional doctorate and a separate graduate degree in another field. What wouldn't be appropriate would be listing your bachelor's degree.