Degree for Pharmaceutical Industry/CRO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

almqua

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been a pre-pharmacy business major for my previous three years of undergrad, and I am starting to reconsider getting a PharmD, since my interest currently lies mostly with consulting in the pharmaceutical industry or working for a contract research organization. What would be an ideal degree to give me useful scientific knowledge, so as to better understand and work within the pharmaceutical industry, but not take four years to obtain, like a PharmD?. For example, would a Masters in Pharmacology be useful? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I would finish your bachelors first and foremost.

Next I would consider a Masters in Regulatory Science.

I have been a pre-pharmacy business major for my previous three years of undergrad, and I am starting to reconsider getting a PharmD, since my interest currently lies mostly with consulting in the pharmaceutical industry or working for a contract research organization. What would be an ideal degree to give me useful scientific knowledge, so as to better understand and work within the pharmaceutical industry, but not take four years to obtain, like a PharmD?. For example, would a Masters in Pharmacology be useful? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

You'll need to be much more specific about the types of functions you'd like to do with a pharmaceutical company/CRO for us to help. Sure, an MS in RegSci might be useful if that's where you see yourself, but there are tons of different business functions in industry.

I am really angling to achieve a very good scientific foundation in pharmacology, pharmacokinetics, and pharmacodynamics. I would like to either coordinate clinical trials in a CRO, or to work within a consulting firm to aid the research and development process with data analytics. I don't want the degree to exceed two years. Basically, I want the PharmD condensed down to just the pharmaceutical-specific courses, without rotations and other patient care activities. Any more suggestions? Thanks