dejected and devastated!!Need Help ASAP!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Friends!!
I'm in an extremely terrible and unique situation.. With great difficulty I prepared for my NDBE 1 and scored 89.. I got accepted in UPENN and UOP and got waitlisted in BU. But due to extremely unfortunate circumstances got divorced and had to return to India as I was on H4 visa. Since I had informed the staff at Upenn of my situation they really helped me and gave me the I20 and proper documentation on time to apply for student visa. Unfortunately my student visa got rejected at the US consulate since they viewed me as a potential immigrant !! I dont know what to do plz advice ASAP.

Members don't see this ad.

Get in contact with a lawyer specialized in Immigration ASAP!!!
Good luck.

God that's terrible!
Apply again and again, I have heard of people getting it finally after 7 attempts!
U-penn- don't let it slip through your hands!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
It is a vicious cycle that you are in,find an immigration lawyer ,i am sure there is a loophole....Dont lose hope....

Hi Friends!!
I'm in an extremely terrible and unique situation.. With great difficulty I prepared for my NDBE 1 and scored 89.. I got accepted in UPENN and UOP and got waitlisted in BU. But due to extremely unfortunate circumstances got divorced and had to return to India as I was on H4 visa. Since I had informed the staff at Upenn of my situation they really helped me and gave me the I20 and proper documentation on time to apply for student visa. Unfortunately my student visa got rejected at the US consulate since they viewed me as a potential immigrant !! I dont know what to do plz advice ASAP.

Did they say tht u will a potential immigrant?

Coz sometimes ther will a count for each day......so they will reject few people but the same person at the next earliest app has been given visa.....this is in regd to B visa......

I Thnk u can try for the next app and can be thro' from someone else.......

Good luck

So long as you have time to apply for visa, do it. You have ample time to go at it with help of a lawyer. Rejections are not final. They do give visa after multiple rejections.

i agree with genX.....one of my friends got rejected twice before he got the student visa the third time....hire a good immigration lawyer, prepare yourself well to defend yourself in the interview and god willing u will get the visa....DO NOT let go of your admission at PENN until the very last moment and only if all else has failed....it happens many times that they have caps as to how many students they can give a visa on that particular day.....it is quite possible that u were one of the unfortunate ones....apply again and u will get it this time.....best of luck.....
Deepak Mehta
Temple '14

I'm sorry to be the one to say that but you DO have immigration intent, just like every single other person that applies to the international dentist program (no matter the visa status)...
I think I saw something referring to the i20 last year and if I'm not mistaken there's part of the application that you have to write something about 'not having immigration intention' or something.
But I as said there's just so many people that come with the i20 for IDPs all over the country that there might be a hole on the law that a good immigration lawyer might be able to help you with. Don't loose hope!

Hi Friends!!

Hi Taha,

Really shocked! Had read your posts previously and admired you that you were able to score an 89 with two small kids. Just dont give up hope. You were able to surmount other difficulties,you will do this too.Cant really give any advice other than to find a good immigration lawyer.Just remember 'tough times dont last,tough people do !'

P.S: Did your ex-husband file for a green card when you were together?

Hi Friends!! Thank u for all ur views..Unfortunately I lost out on Upenn since there was noo time to reapply for visa as the last due date for fees for the PASS program was 23 feb and very regretfully they had to remove mt name..It is ironic since I got my status changed from H4 to F1 by the USCIS but had to come to India since my grandmother expired. but the Us consulate in India didn't consider the approval much and treated me like a fresh applicant... Guess I had to pay a price for attending my grandma's funeral!!

I am sorry for your loss (grandma) and I just wanted to tell you that do not lose hope!! Hope is what makes us to drive to live.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I can understand how you must feel. But dont worry, everything will turn out fine, just give it some time. I believe there's always a time and place for everything. And things that happen today, though might be terrible today, will end up being good for you tomorrow in one way or another.
In the mean time, try to focus on what you can do to make the situation better. I dont think anyone here will be able to comfort you enough for your personal losses. But professionally,... you still have acceptance for UoP. I hope you did not reject it. Try to make things work at UoP. Consult an immigration lawyer to find out how you must proceed further. Stay positive. Dont lose hope. Life is a terrible struggle. But you will find doors opening for you if you keep looking. Ihope everything will work out ok for you soon

hi Taha
im so sorry for your loss and the situation u r in.. i also scored 89 on the NBDE 1 and got acceptance from NYU.. im on H4 visa and was planning to go to india before school starts ie may end.. but after reading your case.. im having second thoughts..

my husband's green card is about to be filed.. can anybody advise me whether going to India would be a good/bad idea?? i would also look as a potential immigrant. Also, if i start school and go to India during the vacation.. are things different then?? would there be a lesser chance of rejection?

any view/advice would be appreciated. thanks!

dentd2, why don't you stay on H4 and study? the only disadvantage would be that you cannot work/ earn money while in school. But anyway I don't think you'll get much time for that..
Did you file your F 1 already?

i could study on H4.. but i thought of going for a visit since once school starts, there are hardly any days off.. but i was analysing the risk of going.. dont want to end up losing the admission.

i havent filed for F1 yet..

I don't think there's any problem in going to India on a valid H 4 visa.. You are allowed to study on H4. The problem arises only if your status has been changed to F1 and then you'll have to go to the embassy for stamping before you come back.

the issue here is that my H4 is also not stamped so either way i have to get a stamping done :( plus my husband's green card is about to be filed so that way they would view me as a potential immigrant..hence i was wondering if the risk is worth taking??

hey h4 stamping should not be a problem. I got my visa stamped last july and they never asked me abt what i was doing in the us since h4 does not have a social security and ur not permitted to work. They will look more into ur hubby's h1.On the other hand if u have filed for adjustment of status for ur green card its better u do not travel. U being a potential immigrant shld work to ur advantage if ur gc is filed as h visa is valid only for 6 years. If ur planning to study in h4 it shld not be a problem.