Delays from August MCAT hurt MSTP chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AndyMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When someone takes the August MCAT, I understand that the AMCAS will delay submission until the scores are in, or that schools simply will not review the application until the scores have arrived. How much of a detriment would you all judge this to be for someone applying to MSTP programs, which do not tend to offer spots on a "rolling" basis but do offer interview invitations on a "first apply-first served" basis (ie. rolling)? Schools have been only marginally helpful when approached with this line of questioning...

I just don't want to squander the advantage I feel applying early might lend my application, but at the same time I'd like to boost my score ... which one's actually better? An early submission with a 32 MCAT or a delayed application with a possibly higher MCAT? Oh yea, I have a 3.86 GPA and about 1.5 yrs research experience w/ a senior thesis in Biochem, and two summers of research. I'd like to just apply, and see how it goes, but I really don't want to have to go through this process again if I'm unhappy in the end.

I've already solicited a couple of people's advice on this question, but I thought I'd open it up for more responses. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

This is a really tough problem, I can understand your frustration. There is, unfortunately, no easy answer. Some schools have rolling admissions and some do not, and I am sure this doesn't remain absolutely constant from year to year. Personally, I would go for it. The only problem would be that, potentially, you would be out a lot of money.

If worst comes to worst, you could re-apply.

if you check in amcas that youre retaking mcat, your app will be on hold until those scores are released, negating your early advantage. but if you submit now, you can always take mcat in aug if you decide to later, and schools can begin considering you. of course, the catch is that they consider you as your mcat stands now. invitations for the october interviews will go out long before aug mcat scores are released, so schools will have to decide based on your mcat . . . but also on all of your other accomplishments. im in similar situation and i want to retake mcat, but i dont know if i will simply bc of the timing of the score release and i cant be sure id improve, as my practices were much better than my actual april score.

some schools may be more forgiving, others wont, but there are LOTS of good schools!!

Members don't see this ad :)
stillsmilin said:
if you check in amcas that youre retaking mcat, your app will be on hold until those scores are released, negating your early advantage. but if you submit now, you can always take mcat in aug if you decide to later, and schools can begin considering you. of course, the catch is that they consider you as your mcat stands now. invitations for the october interviews will go out long before aug mcat scores are released, so schools will have to decide based on your mcat . . . but also on all of your other accomplishments. im in similar situation and i want to retake mcat, but i dont know if i will simply bc of the timing of the score release and i cant be sure id improve, as my practices were much better than my actual april score.

some schools may be more forgiving, others wont, but there are LOTS of good schools!!

Yeah, I had originally considered just applying now, saying I wasn't going to take the August MCAT-- then determine if I have enough time to study and improve my score, and take it if I think I can. But my girlfriend seems to think that if I registered for the MCAT, that information might be shared with AMCAS because they're all under AAMC, and that this would force them to delay my app. Of course, if the app had already been sent out by that time, I don't think I'd have a problem, but then again I don't have a realistic understanding of how the application distribution service operates, and whether applications are only pulled from a database as they're reviewed by each school so the apps might therefore still be subject to AMCAS re-verification delays if a reason to reverify arose. I might call AMCAS about this.

so i guess the question is: check retake in amcas so your app is delayed and the new score improves your chances, but the lateness diminishes them OR dont check retake, but retake anyways and the app is either delayed, or not delayed, in which case chances for the interview will be based largely on your april mcat . . . hmmm?? im in the same boat, and just as bewildered, bc even though the august mcat would improve the stats, theyll arrive so late they may be irrelevent by then, especially if app was processed early

I got an email response from the ppl at AAMC, regarding taking the MCAT and possible delays imposed on the AMCAS process.

My email:
If I submit the AMCAS and do not state that I am taking the
August MCAT (b/c I am still unsure), what would happen to the application
if I later decided to sign-up and take the MCAT? If the application has
been submitted, verified, and released before I make up my mind, will the
schools still be able to access it prior to the grading of the August MCAT
if I have later decided to take it? I hope my question is clear. Thanks
for the help.

AAMC's response:
The AMCAS application is not dependent on MCAT scores. Also the scores will be released to AMCAS and then to medical schools after they are released.

I think this answers my question -- it doesn't matter what happens with the MCAT, processing of the AMCAS will proceed according to what was specified in it and they won't read into what's happening with your independent decision to take or not to take the MCAT. And the scores will be released, after you've taken the MCAT.

This could be worthwhile. If you've already made a numbers cut at the schools to which you applied with your current MCAT, then I think your new score (assuming it's better) can only boost your odds at those schools. Otherwise, you could just apply next cycle w/ the better score. Personally, though, I'm assessing whether or not I can realistically improve my score by a significant degree in the time remaining before the Aug. MCAT before I actually commit to it