SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

delete mdapps during application process?

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by solitude, Mar 23, 2007.

1. solitude

solitude Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 27, 2004
    I realize that this topic has been debated ad nauseum in the pre-allo forum, but I think answers might differ given the more personal nature of MD/PhD admissions...

I'm wondering why a number of regular posters on this website (hateroftheyear and Mr Tee come to mind) decided to delete their mdapps (or stop linking to it) during the app process. Were you scared off by comments from adcoms? Are you just paranoid de rigeur? Would you recommend that I - and others about to embark on this arduous process - follow your lead?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Mr. Tee

Mr. Tee Indentured servant 7+ Year Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Yo thanks for the callout.

4. OncDoc19

OncDoc19 MS4 7+ Year Member

Feb 6, 2007
    I tried doing a search but couldn't find to many threads. What were people's general reasons for not wanting to put up an MDApp. I never realized that making on could hurt your app. Do adcoms look at those things? What shouldn't I be saying? Sorry I know you were asking a question and instead of answering it, I asked more :laugh:

5. GoinBack2Cali?

GoinBack2Cali? it used to be so cool 2+ Year Member

Jul 6, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    why do you care?

6. solitude

Dec 27, 2004
    Just curious if, because the MD/PhD applicant pool is smaller, whether it really is feasible that adcoms could find a profile and have it affect their decision e.g. if applicant X is already accepted to schools A, B, and C, they may be less apt to accept X.

If people think it has even a small effect, I would obviously delete my profile.

7. GoinBack2Cali?

Jul 6, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    highly unlikely. paranoid much?

8. solitude

Dec 27, 2004
    haha I suppose :) . Just wondering why people have deleted theirs i.e. is there any substantive basis for my/their paranoia?

9. solitude

Dec 27, 2004
    Yo thanks for the answer to the question.

10. solitude

Dec 27, 2004
    There have been a ton. I found these threads with the search "mdapplicants adcom":

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=349142&highlight=mdapplicants+adcoms
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=325562&highlight=mdapplicants+adcoms
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=298121&highlight=mdapplicants+adcoms

11. Mr. Tee

Mr. Tee Indentured servant 7+ Year Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Uncalled for. Your post woulda remained the same without calling names. From my intentional non-answer I hope you can infer what my reasons were.

12. GoinBack2Cali?

Jul 6, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    im sure the first thing the adcom does after reviewing your file is scavenge SDN looking for your posts and mdapps profile. :laugh:

13. solitude

Dec 27, 2004
    dude, I didn't mean to call you out in a negative light. I don't see how it can cause any harm to you that it was brought to public attention that you removed your mdapps. Any long-time poster will have recognized that you once had a link and no longer do, whereas any new poster won't have any way to link your posts to an mdapps.

14. solitude

Dec 27, 2004
    yep :cool:

15. vector07

vector07 Junior Member 5+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Lets just say that it doesnt require having a connection in your SDN profile to mdapps to identify applicants on mdapps; indeed, even hiding key info on your mdapps to obfuscate your identity is often not enough. When I met Mr. Tee at an interview, we discussed who might be the one guy at our interview who matched an MDapps profile which said he was interviewing at [this particular school]. (sorry, long/windy sentence.. its 3am and I'm buzzed.. :) ) It didnt take us long to confirm the connection. At another school, an applicant identified me at an interview from my mdapps profile, and I didnt list my university or major!

My point: if an adcom wants to find you on mdapps, they probably can. So if you want to remain completely anonymous in the process, don't put your info on mdapps... although I suppose you could make a profile with none of your stats.. but whats the point?

Whether or not the adcom actually tries to find you on mdapps, I don't know. It certainly would not surprise me, though most of the directors of programs are extremely busy people who are not likely to tool around for hours on such websites.

16. Dr.Watson

Dr.Watson 2+ Year Member

Oct 11, 2006
  17. SpeakLittleB

SpeakLittleB Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Unless you say something negative, even if adcoms do check, I don't see any harm in adcoms knowing about your process. Mine has been updated regularly since the beginning of the process, and i can't imagine what would be different if i didn't post on mdapp.

18. durfen

durfen I see plans within plans 5+ Year Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Kaitain
    I actually took my mdapps off for a while after the initial burst of paranoia on the pre-allo forums, then I put it back on when I realized that it doesn't really matter if they know where I applied and what my thoughts were. ADCOM have way too many faces to remember and connect with people on SDN, we have very few.

19. solitude

Dec 27, 2004
    thanks for the frank responses. I guess I'll ignore the paranoia for a while. :)