Deleted Letters of Recomendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thedoctor8706

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
About a week ago, I added two individual letters of recommendation to my AMCAS application to be written by two of my employers. I added these after my AMCAS had been submitted and verified. Everything seemed in order as I was able to print off LOR request forms and then add each letter to the schools I am applying to. But when I checked my AMCAS application to see if they had been submitted yet, the letters didn't appear to exist anymore! Can LOR's be deleted?

Members don't see this ad.

did you call amcas and find out? also, im a bit unaware of what you mean when you say you "added these". did amcas recieve the letters or did they just recognize the names of the 2 individuals you will be getting letters from?

did you call amcas and find out? also, im a bit unaware of what you mean when you say you "added these". did amcas recieve the letters or did they just recognize the names of the 2 individuals you will be getting letters from?

By "added these" I mean I entered them into my AMCAS application but the writers had not submitted them yet. They appeared in my application but today they aren't anywhere in my AMCAS anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
My guess would be you forgot to resubmit after adding the LOR's. Just a possbility.

What I thought this thread was about was LOR's we have deleted... does anyone know if our apps can be complete if the required number/type of LOR's have been received by the schools but not the "no longer sending" ones? I ask because many of the secondaries still have an unchecked box for the LOR I deleted from AMCAS last week.

Alright, so here's an update on my situation. I did in fact not resubmit my application, thinking that AMCAS would save my information for resubmission later, thereby deleting my letters of recommendation.

However, I already handed out my LOE request forms, and one of my authors has already submitted a LOE in my behalf. My question now is because there is no record of that letter in AMCAS, does this mean that letter will now be disregarded and/or discarded? Must I reenter the LOE and have my author resubmit? I called AMCAS and they were no help... Thanks for the advice!

Alright, so here's an update on my situation. I did in fact not resubmit my application, thinking that AMCAS would save my information for resubmission later, thereby deleting my letters of recommendation.

However, I already handed out my LOE request forms, and one of my authors has already submitted a LOE in my behalf. My question now is because there is no record of that letter in AMCAS, does this mean that letter will now be disregarded and/or discarded? Must I reenter the LOE and have my author resubmit? I called AMCAS and they were no help... Thanks for the advice!

I did the same thing. They really ought to make it more clear that you have to resubmit (I know they say it, but still). I apparently added a letter, didn't resubmit, but thought I was ok because it showed up on the letter status emails I got. If they hadn't recognized it, I maintain it shouldn't have been on those emails.

I did end up just sending the letter writer a new form (though he hadn't submitted it yet)...it's a pain and you might feel a little dumb, but I'd say just send it to the letter writer and have them resubmit. You don't want AMCAS claiming they couldn't match the letter and then it's gone when you need it.