Quantcast

Deleted.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted480308

On my application to medical school, I revealed that I had a driver license suspension due to a careless driving charge almost 10 years ago (older applicant). It was not a criminal offense. It was a traffic violation. My background check came back clean with nothing on it, but I wanted to be honest and didn't want to risk anything by leaving something out.

The school has accepted me with this knowledge.

Today, about 2 months after my acceptance, the school sent me a letter asking me to provide a written detail of the incident and provide them with police reports. The letter then said that they still have the right to rescind my acceptance if they deem it so.

What's going on here? How should I approach this? Should I consult a lawyer (I'm already planning on doing so)?
You should give them the information they want, they have plenty of trash cans with room for your application and plenty of applicants without reckless driving records thinking about lawyers

Reactions: 1 users

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
On my application to medical school, I revealed that I had a driver license suspension due to a careless driving charge almost 10 years ago (older applicant). It was not a criminal offense. It was a traffic violation. My background check came back clean with nothing on it, but I wanted to be honest and didn't want to risk anything by leaving something out.

Today, about 2 months after my acceptance, the school sent me a letter asking me to provide a written detail of the incident and provide them with police reports. The letter then said that they still have the right to rescind my acceptance if they deem it so.

What's going on here? How should I approach this? Should I consult a lawyer (I'm already planning on doing so)?
What's so hard about giving them what you want?

I suspect that they are merely doing due diligence.

You don't have anything to hide, do you?

Reactions: 1 user

operaman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Agree with Goro- just submit it and let it ride. You have no legal right to be admitted so they are not violating the law. Just give them the documentation they ask for and move on. They accepted you knowing about this so it’s unlikely they would rescind anything unless you were less than honest on your application.

You will likely be asked to provide this documentation again when you ultimately apply for licensure as medical boards commonly ask you to disclose these things.

Reactions: 1 users

BC_89

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

It’s a safety-check-point-practice on their part for filing purposes. If you have nothing to hide and they accepted you with the facts on hand why would you think they’d reconsider?

A lawyer wouldn’t do you any good anyhow. Just expedite the documentation(s) to them so they can file it and welcome you on orientation day.

MDX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No need to be upset, I think sb247 is right and was just trying to help. First things first; you should comply with what they are asking. If needed, then you might need to clarify stuff. They are only doing due diligence .

Regards,

Mike Bagwell

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
First of all it was a careless driving. Not reckless. There is a huge difference. This is my fear. Someone with no idea of the law coming to a very uneducated judgement.

Then why did you post this onto an anonymous forum? You don't know who any of these people are.

If the situation occurred as you are suggesting, my advice would be to get real legal advice regarding statute of limitations, etc. and how that would factor into your application. Why on earth would you bring up something that wasn't a criminal offense that happened a decade ago? To be honest, that is just poor judgment ON YOUR END and you deserve what you get from that school. Research the law first before taking the law into your own hands.

seanm028

Dulling Occam's Razor
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my fear. Someone with no idea of the law coming to a very uneducated judgement.
So then wouldn't providing documentation be in your best interest? I would think that the worst thing you could do if you were afraid of "uneducated judgment" would be to withhold context.

Status
Not open for further replies.