Deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

systematicX

Reaction score
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please Do Not Quote This Message

Do I have a shot of getting into med schools (prefer MD but open to DO) or should I consider retaking the MCAT? How broadly should I apply and to which schools? Thanks for your help @Goro @LizzyM @Faha
You're competitive!

I suggest these schools:
Albany
Drexel
EVMS
Gtown
GWU
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
MCW
NEOMED
Netter
Nova MD
Oakland-B
Rosy Franklin
Rush
SLU
TCU
Temple
Tulane
U ILL
U VM
U WI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Wake Forest
Wayne State
WVU if from the Appalachians
Your state school(s).

Any DO program. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend LMU, SOMA, ARCOM, RVU, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.

Reactions: 1 users
You're competitive!

I suggest these schools:
Albany
Drexel
EVMS
Gtown
GWU
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
MCW
NEOMED
Netter
Nova MD
Oakland-B
Rosy Franklin
Rush
SLU
TCU
Temple
Tulane
U ILL
U VM
U WI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Wake Forest
Wayne State
WVU if from the Appalachians
Your state school(s).

Any DO program. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend LMU, SOMA, ARCOM, RVU, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.
Thank you so much! This gives me hope!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When did you apply?

Don't lose hope with your in-state programs. Paid medical scribe is clinical employment. Add VCOM.

But I am going to differ. You need more community service and non clinical volunteering. If you submitted with 35 hours, some schools will screen you out for not having 100 to 150 hours at application. Keep doing more hours in case you have to reapply so that you have the minimum number of hours by April.

When did you apply?

Don't lose hope with your in-state programs. Paid medical scribe is clinical employment. Add VCOM.

But I am going to differ. You need more community service and non clinical volunteering. If you submitted with 35 hours, some schools will screen you out for not having 100 to 150 hours at application. Keep doing more hours in case you have to reapply so that you have the minimum number of hours by April.
I’m applying 2024 cycle. Thanks for letting me know about the scribe work because I hear differing opinions on that. Will continue to work on community service and non clinical volunteering. Thanks for the suggestions!

Could you provide more detail of what others have told you? Are you not getting trained or were onboarded?
My understanding from what I gathered was if there is no clinical procedures being done for the patient or no physical contact then it’s not considered clinical. But I have also been told by few that it is clinical so it leaves me quite confused. I was onboarded and picked up quickly due to my years of EMT experience. Aside from getting those volunteer hours in before the upcoming cycle, any suggestions on a school list? Do you feel that I’m a strong candidate? I’d appreciate any input on that. Thanks.

Is that your only MCAT score? If not, what was your other score?
A word about Rush- they expect and get hundreds if not thousands of service hours to the unserved/underserved in the community.

My understanding from what I gathered was if there is no clinical procedures being done for the patient or no physical contact then it’s not considered clinical. But I have also been told by few that it is clinical so it leaves me quite confused.
You are shadowing and documenting interactions between patient and physician. I don't understand how that doesn't count as clinical. Most admissions professionals consider scribing as advanced shadowing.