Deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CookiesBrookies

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You’ve listed a lot of reasons why a career in medicine may not make sense, but not one that supports this goal. Take the time to figure out what you really want in life. Get your mental health in order. Then go from there.

Your desire to switch gears and pursue medicine is a significant decision, and it's great that you're thinking deeply about your future. Even so, I'd like to offer some food for thought based on the reasons you've listed.

1. While dissatisfaction in a current role can be a catalyst for change, it's important to ensure that your move towards medicine is driven by a genuine interest in the field, and not just a reaction to a negative experience.
  2. Although medicine can offer job security, it's a field that demands a high level of commitment, long hours, and continuous learning. Job security can be found in many fields, so it might be worth exploring other careers that align more closely with your interests and skills.
  3. It's easy to idealize a profession from the outside. Remember, a doctor's life involves a lot more than what is seen during a visit. It includes years of rigorous education, challenging work environments, and emotional tolls.
  4. A good science GPA and a renewed willingness to learn are positive signs, but medicine requires a strong and sustained passion for science and helping others. If you're not naturally inclined towards science, you might find the journey more challenging.
I strongly encourage you to take a period of deep reflection. Really consider if medicine aligns with your passions, strengths, and lifestyle expectations. Shadowing a few physicians could be incredibly insightful. It can provide a realistic view of the day-to-day life of a doctor, the challenges they face, and the dedication the field requires.

Post baccs are huge investments of time and resources. It would be wise to be fully sure of your motivations before taking on this expense. Exploring other fields that offer job security and align more with your skills and interests might also be a good idea.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best in finding a career that brings you joy. Godspeed.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have wanted to become a doctor since I was in elementary school, but now that I'm older, I'm not sure if a medical career would fit my personality/strengths. I am not good at science; I'm slightly better at math and very strong in humanities.

Academics aside, I'm a very sensitive person with the thinnest skin around. I also struggle with depression and anxiety and have problems staying focused. I'm introverted, have poor social skills, and am awkward, though well-intentioned.

For all of the reasons above, I feel like I need to take a few years to work on myself and another career while exploring if other options are better for me before going into a post-bacc program.

I also want to work and save money so I don't need to take loans for the post-bacc. Any thoughts? I'm pretty young, though I'm out of college. I'm too scared to make the jump now, but I also don't want to make the leap prematurely.

I did not think that @glycolysister has written anything really annoying. I think that what was written was an honest appraisal. You asked for thoughts on your plan.

You may not need to spend a lot on a post-bacc. You can craft one yourself (DIY) without a formal program. Read Goro's thread on reinvention.

I tend to be more positive about encouraging people to enter medicine than many others here. And yet, I wonder myself whether you should jump into the morass. It does sound like you're very sensitive, which is generally a good quality, but can be very difficult to overcome during medical training and practice. You will be criticized numerous times. I wonder if you can handle it, if you have difficulty handling what's written in an anonymous forum... Also, medical training and practice have the potential to really wreck havoc on mental health!

I saw a dermatologist who graduated from a very good medical school, who said to me, "The best sunscreen is one that you like."
I interpret this statement this way. In my practice, I often recommended to my patients to use sunscreen. Did they do it? Many times not. It was because they researched and found that they disliked the zinc oxide one which was better rated. So they didn't use anything. Better to use an inferior one than not use the better one... Just like colon cancer screening. Colonoscopy may be the gold standard, but many patients make faces when it's recommended. Better that they do FIT testing which they're compliant with than a test that may have better sens/spec, but isn't done!

It sounds like you know you want to do this, so go read Goro's reinvention thread about reinvention (it describes post-baccs). Also, I agree with the suggestion to do some shadowing to see what you're getting into.

However, when you've never failed academically before college and have hordes of people discouraging you from a career you've always wanted, it can bring up bad memories and significant feelings of insecurity and inability.
Keep in mind that success in school doesn't equate to being successful in a medical career. It's really tough. I am retired now, after a very happy and successful career. But there were some very difficult and dark times that I had to endure. They don't teach the skills to handle those times in school. And all doctors have those times.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.