Dell Axim X30 (the 624 MHz version) or Palm Tungsten T3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DireWolf said:
If your goal is internet access, get a Pocket PC. As I stated earlier, I have no intention of using my PDA for surfing the web- that is why I have a computer. If you only need a PDA for medical programs, scheduling, contacts, etc. Palm is far superior.
I disagree. Pocket PC's are much better than Palms. However, opinions are like buttholes -- everyone has one.

Just out of curiosity, do you have much experience with Pocket PC's? I've used a Palm for a while (lots of different Palms) and I've used a PPC for a while, and I definitely prefer the PPC.

Krafty said:
So how did you get it to work? Do you have T-mobile? I have a t610 phone (BT+)...of course I don't subscribe to any additional internet service in my plan, but just wanted to know whether you are getting access through your cell phone provider, or do you simply dial-up (like NetZero or Earthlink or something).
-Special K

ps. btw how you like them batteries on the HP 5000 series? is it true they let you stay connected for hours or what?
I have the Cingular Media Works package. An additional $20/month for unlimited Wireless Internet Express, 1500 text messages, and 200 multimedia messages.

I connect through my cell phone's (Moto V600) Bluetooth connection. The speeds aren't that great, and I'm hoping when my laptop's Bluetooth adapter comes in that I can get better speeds. But for what I use it for right now, it works very well.

Regarding Dire's comment about using his laptop to access the net, well that's all great when you are at your desk. However, when you have money tied up in stocks and need to keep up to date (with the ability to trade), then surfing the net with a PDA becomes much more necessary that waiting until you reach a desktop.

Besides, it's also great when you get lost to pull up Mapquest on your PDA and get directions for where you want to go. Or send a quick email from anywhere.

southerndoc said:
Iopinions are like buttholes -- everyone has one

. . and they all stink. or at lest that's what my football coach always told us . . .

not to sideline this discussion, but what if i was wanting just a stable, non-internet, non-phone, non-camera, non-mp3, non-phaser, non-toaster PDA for medical programs and a datebook? That's all i would use it for anyway.

You've talked about the bmw and mercedes, so what's the honda civic of PDA's?

Homunculus said:
what if i was wanting just a stable, non-internet, non-phone, non-camera, non-mp3, non-phaser, non-toaster PDA for medical programs and a datebook?
You've talked about the bmw and mercedes, so what's the honda civic of PDA's?

And honestly, that's what most people really need from a functional perspective and the medical-technology level of NOW. The wireless stuff is nice to share articles with colleagues, but for
- Drug lookup
- Occasional 5 min consult

I think the best one is the Ipaq 1910. Best deal you can get for whats under the hood.
Ipaq 1910 Prices across the net [Pricegraber.com]
CNET Review

-No wireless
-64 MB of storage (you can get up to 1GB SD cards now, or $50 for 256MB)
-Actually has an MP3 player (so sue me, Windows PPC comes with it)
-Enough built in memory to keep stuff in.

Bon Apetit

ps. Refurbished units can be as good as brand new sometimes. So if you want to save money - they still come with warrantly. It's like buying certified preowned car (which I have done). Just have to watch out for the website (more reputable - better pre-ownership...look up the customer reviews on Pricegrabber)

Krafty said:
And honestly, that's what most people really need from a functional perspective and the medical-technology level of NOW. The wireless stuff is nice to share articles with colleagues, but for
- Drug lookup

I think the best one is the Ipaq 1910. Best deal you can get for whats under the hood.
CNET Review

-No wireless

Bon Apetit

ps. Refurbished units can be as good as brand new sometimes. So if you want to save money - they still come with warrantly. It's like buying certified preowned car (which I have done). Just have to watch out for the website (more reputable - better pre-ownership...look up the customer reviews on Pricegrabber)

thanks!! :thumbup: :)

Krafty said:
- Drug lookup

CNET Review

-No wireless

Bon Apetit

Check out the Toshiba e400/405 available on Amazon marketplace from $230.Just got one 400 :) -decent 64MB SDRAM main memory, Intel? PXA261 processor 300MHz, Pocket Word, Pocket Excel, Pocket Internet Explorer, Microsoft?Windows? Media? Player 9 for Pocket PC, File Explorer, Microsoft Active Sync? 3.7, Microsoft? Outlook?, World Clock, Toshiba Voice Recorder, Toshiba Text to Speech for Pocket PC and Infrared wireless. It comes in a cool blue color and does not look cheap. The only downside is the battery is not replacable by self-you have to send it back to Toshiba, but it will last for 2 years. It's also thinner than the IPaQ.
Hope this helps.

Toshiba e(400/405) Dimensions:
4.9" x 3.0" x 0.4"
Ipaq (1900/4100) Dimensions:
4.46" x 2.75" x 0.5"

Well it IS thinner, but slightly longer and wider. Regardless, those differences are minute (unless you're anal). Here's some links

Toshiba e405 on Pricegrabber
CNET Review
VERY Extensive Review (Bargainpda.com)

It also seems like a great deal. I think it would be very difficult to find Palm based PDA with 64MB RAM, Colors, Media Player (mp3) and comparable speed for the same price.
-K

ps. Bargainpda.com has great reviews (several pages/review - scrolling) with pictures of the unit from various angles and different accessories that come with it. They even show you the box it comes with.

Quote -
It also seems like a great deal. I think it would be very difficult to find Palm based PDA with 64MB RAM, Colors, Media Player (mp3) and comparable speed for the same price.

Please realize that 64MB ram in PPC is not the equivalant of 64MB ram in a Palm OS. This is based on the way the OS works - in a PPC, to run a program it must load parts of the program into a "virtual memory" - much like how your windows pc works (that is how you upgrade memory to increase performance - you have both a physical and virtual memory). In a palm OS, the program just runs. Take a look at 5MCC 2004 - uses 9.5MB in the PPC and 4.3MB in the Palm OS (http://www.skyscape.com/EStore/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=985#memory.

This is also why you can't compare speeds of the processors either - just like you can't compare a Mac computer to a Windows computer - Macs run on slower processor times, but in reality run as fast as a "faster" windows computer. This is the same with the handhelds.

So, no you can't find a palm for that price with those specs, but you can find a palm that is equivalant to that particular PPC. I would suggest, for the price to compare the cheapest HP to a palm Tungsten E - which comes with a 126MHz processor, 32MB, MP3 player, and a beautiful screen (which has a higher resolution than most PPC). And if you look at palmone, you can order it with free shipping and a 32MB sd card (http://www.palmone.com/us/products/handhelds/tungsten-e/).

bgibney said:
So, no you can't find a palm for that price with those specs, but you can find a palm that is equivalant to that particular PPC. I would suggest, for the price to compare the cheapest HP to a palm Tungsten E - which comes with a 126MHz processor, 32MB, MP3 player, and a beautiful screen (which has a higher resolution than most PPC). And if you look at palmone, you can order it with free shipping and a 32MB sd card (http://www.palmone.com/us/products/handhelds/tungsten-e/).

Well said. Most people do not realize this.

I still think that one of the better deals (cheap price, decent specs) is the Palm Zire series.

bgibney said:
Quote -
Please realize that 64MB ram in PPC is not the equivalant of 64MB ram in a Palm OS. This is based on the way the OS works - in a PPC, to run a program it must load parts of the program into a "virtual memory" - much like how your windows pc works (that is how you upgrade memory to increase performance - you have both a physical and virtual memory). In a palm OS, the program just runs. Take a look at 5MCC 2004 - uses 9.5MB in the PPC and 4.3MB in the Palm OS (http://www.skyscape.com/EStore/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=985#memory.

True. But it goes beyond this. One must also take into account the portion of the advertised memory utilized by the OS bloat, much more on PPC than for Palm OS. It's scary how true it is that a "64MB PPC" and a "32MB Palm" are equivalent. :laugh: