demand for neurologists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nestle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
someone told me that there are too many neurologists out there, and that you have to work for a bunch of different hospitals in different rural areas just to make a decent living. Is that correct? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

According to some of my attendings and residents in Baltimore, Maryland, that's not true. One attendings was telling me that all graduates of our residency program were receiving multiple job offers in the area because there is a shortage of neurologists here in baltimore. And he was saying that some of the offers were starting as high as 200,000 with cars being offered as signing bonuses. Not bad at all.

I completely agree with ckent. There is a great demand for neurologists in many parts of the country. According to my school, having students interested in neuro is a rarity. In my city of approx 400,000 there are appox 10 neurologists and they really need more because they are being worked to death!

Members don't see this ad :)
ckent, were those academic positions, or with private practices?

Private practice of course. You would start anywhere from 80-90,000 in academic neurology, depending on the institution and how much research and teaching you intended to do.

Originally posted by Noelle
I completely agree with ckent. There is a great demand for neurologists in many parts of the country. According to my school, having students interested in neuro is a rarity. In my city of approx 400,000 there are appox 10 neurologists and they really need more because they are being worked to death!

Getting students interested into psych is ALSO a rarity!

I always thought that the fact about physician oversupply is a myth. A few years ago, some report came out to indicate that as a trend. But I believe that, like many reports attempt to predict the future, it is wrong. Physicians of all specialties are still in demand in MOST parts of the country.