Any Child Neurologists Around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FitBit21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if there's any child neurologists around, deciding between child neuro and child psych and would like a little more insight

Members don't see this ad.

They are completely different beasts. I know there's a child neurologist on reddit who seems to comment fairly frequently in the /r/neurology subreddit.

Tantrums vs seizures. EZPZ.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! Is there a particular question or questions you had? I never considered child psych or psych in general, so I can't really comment to that decision tree, but I can answer any questions you have about child neuro.

Hello! Is there a particular question or questions you had? I never considered child psych or psych in general, so I can't really comment to that decision tree, but I can answer any questions you have about child neuro.
Yes! What is residency like from your experience? You have to get through gen peds and adult neuro first but after that is it fairly chill? Whats pay (non-academic) like? The Doximity tool shows places like the south having averages around like 320-330, is that accurate if you know? Any regrets?

Yes! What is residency like from your experience? You have to get through gen peds and adult neuro first but after that is it fairly chill? Whats pay (non-academic) like? The Doximity tool shows places like the south having averages around like 320-330, is that accurate if you know? Any regrets?

Residency is never going to be chill, haha. Gen peds sucks, and it's honestly a year more than actually needed, but once you're done with it you can be done with it forever if you want. Adult neuro depends on the program - some programs do a straight year of adult neuro, whereas others like mine split it up in the first 2 (or even all 3) years - but imo it's not as bad as the gen peds time. But I'm also a neurologist at heart, so that's probably why.

I honestly haven't looked at salaries yet - I'll be doing fellowship so that hasn't been a consideration yet. I also haven't considered any Southern programs so I wouldn't know what the field is like there. In general, anything pediatric is going to pay less than the adult equivalent, but pediatric neurologists are needed everywhere since there are so few of us, so jobs are available.

Reactions: 1 user