Dementia and Vasectomy

Started by firedoor
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

firedoor

let it bleed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In 2007 researchers at Northwestern University published a report suggesting a possible correlation between vasectomy, primary progressive aphasia and frontotemporal dementia:

http://www.brain.northwestern.edu/pd..._Vasectomy.pdf

While the n was only 47, the hypothesis that vasectomy results in anti-sperm antibodies which may be neurotoxic seems plausable. The article ends commenting that the lead researcher planned to investigate whether their observation would bear out in a larger (and presumably more methodologically sound) study.

I'm interested to know if anyone has further information or thoughts on the issue.
 
In 2007 researchers at Northwestern University published a report suggesting a possible correlation between vasectomy, primary progressive aphasia and frontotemporal dementia:

http://www.brain.northwestern.edu/pd..._Vasectomy.pdf

While the n was only 47, the hypothesis that vasectomy results in anti-sperm antibodies which may be neurotoxic seems plausable. The article ends commenting that the lead researcher planned to investigate whether their observation would bear out in a larger (and presumably more methodologically sound) study.

I'm interested to know if anyone has further information or thoughts on the issue.

Hi.

I followed the link, but saw it was a 'mainstream media' source. They often c*ck things up, but I assume they are reporting on this study.

I don't think it sounds very plausible, but then again, stranger things have happened. I found one study which couldn't repeat the association, and one which looked at the risks of having a vasectomy. Those might be a good place to start - and do report back on what you've found! 🙂

PS - JR Hodges has done a lot of work on PPA and FTD, and a search for:
"Hodges JR"[Author] AND vasectomy
revealed nothing in PubMed...so at least one leader in the field is unimpressed!
 
This might not go down well, BUT:

This thread was double posted under psychiatry. I thought the discussions on the two forums were quite hilarious - the neuro one is short, involves localizing the paper in question and then setting about solving it. The psych one involves a lot of talking and hand waving and no attempt to provide meaningful answers.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=756516

(I should add that some of my best friends are psychiatrists in training, and that I'm obviously stereotyping the fields...)