Denal assisting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glycogen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a Q regarding dental assisting.I'm planning to work in a dental office for 2 days a week,after taking my DAT and the dentist agreed if I take my x-ray license later on(again after taking my DAT).Now,of course that I want to put that on my dental experiences in my application but the problem is that when I'm submitting my application(mid May) I won't have my x-ray license right then to put there.What should I do?
What is going to happen if I tell them that I am a dental assistance and not have x-ray.Of course,by the time of interview and all that I'll have a x-ray license.DO I NEED ANY SORT OF LICENSE FOR BEING A DENTAL ASSISTANSE??!!

Members don't see this ad.

I only say this to help you ... you absolutely must get someone to proof your application and any communications you have with admissions officers.

Well,I really did get what you said.I mean I know that it would be helpful to get someone to view my application and all that,but all I asked was that,since I'm not going to work as a DA now but will do late on June,what should I do.wait until late June to send out my app or send it out now and put the DA job right now?

Members don't see this ad :)
put it on your addsas, but put the start date as june/08 and leave the end date open (as in its current).
Then they know you are going to start it, and in the description, you can describe the tasks you will be doing and put the projected date of your license test. Also, you can list that dentist as the supervisor and they'll know that you are for sure going to do it (not just lying) since obviously you have an agreement with a particular dentist.

i say be honest with your application. make sure to send out your application as early as possible.

why didnt you work as a dental assistant earlier? then we wouldnt have this problem. just put down however much dental experience you have. i wouldnt jeopardize my acceptance by lying about my dental experience.

a high gpa and dat are most important. not have an x-ray licence? i dont think it is very important. as long as you have some dental experience, i think you should be fine.

Well,I'm not trying to lie or anything.
This the story:I was shadowing a dentist and then I start to work as a front office,then they referred me to another dentist to work there as a front office for a week(in absent of their front office) the dentist liked me and my work and my curiosity and said do you want to work for me as a assistant only Sat and Tuesday?(on those days his assistant will be gone and they don't want to deal with new people from agency all them time).
So this is the story,he said I will train you and you can work here and try to get your x-ray license as soon as possible.I won't be able to start though b/c I'm taking my DAT in June and don't want to work every day.Got my story now!?
Everything came out very fast and in a good way and I thought why not putting it down on my app since I want to send it out very early!
What should I do now?
If I tell them that I'm assisting,do they need any license?

you don't need a license to be a dental assistant (nor any formal training).
You won't get in trouble for listing yourself as a dental assistant without any experience or a x-ray license. (is that what you're asking?)

You need an X-ray license to take x-rays, but you can assist without that.

Thank you.That is exactly what I was trying to find out.Thanks a bunch again.

You think you will get some bonus points if you can show that you have been a dental assistant and can take X-rays?

Yes,that is what I think.Though I don't care about getting my x-ray license.I just want to get that so I can be able to that in office legaly.But as far as assisting,yes I thought that will definitily help me.I have done all what they required as far as research and volenteeing and the only thing was missing was actually assisting and being involved in a dental office.I don't have a high GPA so I have to make that up with 1.high DAT 2.exprience 3.early applying!!
Any suggestion?

Yes,that is what I think.Though I don't care about getting my x-ray license.I just want to get that so I can be able to that in office legaly.But as far as assisting,yes I thought that will definitily help me.I have done all what they required as far as research and volenteeing and the only thing was missing was actually assisting and being involved in a dental office.I don't have a high GPA so I have to make that up with 1.high DAT 2.exprience 3.early applying!!
Any suggestion?

I have a suggestion. Do not think that assisting in a dental office or applying early will make up for a low DAT or GPA. Your time would be better spent studying for the DAT.